Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2021, 02:46 PM

15,657 posts, read 7,665,283 times

Advertisements

I'm not that familiar with redlining I guess. I do recall a time in the 80s/early 90s where a black family was looking at a house in East Milton in the neighborhood of someone I knew. The real estate agent received many complaints from the neighborhood and in the end would not sell to them. The neighbors seemed to be relieved. I remember telling my mother about this (i was about 9 or 10) and she seemed horrified and was like that's terrible. I didn't know what to think but knew it was nasty. One of the women who didn't want the black famliy moving in was a former nun. Such good church going people.

Old 09-14-2021, 03:36 PM

I think a lot of people associated bad neighborhoods with black people. They worried that once black people moved to their neighborhood that it would open the floodgates for more black people moving to the neighborhood and suddenly their nice white neighborhood has now become a crime infested black neighborhood. I guess the idea of coexisting with black people was out of the question for some whites.

Unfortunately people get bad reputations from people similar to them. Irish people in Boston seem to all be thought of by racists by some even today...and black people have reputations for being bad samaritans/criminals by some. I mean you can blame racism for it all you want but why would a former nun be so frightened of having black people in her neighborhood?

Old 09-14-2021, 03:42 PM

2,273 posts, read 1,320,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I think a lot of people associated bad neighborhoods with black people. They worried that once black people moved to their neighborhood that it would open the floodgates for more black people moving to the neighborhood and suddenly their nice white neighborhood has now become a crime infested black neighborhood.
This is literally one of the definition of racism in action.
The fact that according to you this isn't racism makes me wonder what is racism to you.

Old 09-14-2021, 03:47 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
This is literally one of the definition of racism in action.
The fact that according to you this isn't racism makes me wonder what is racism to you.
I didn't say it wasn't racism. But clearly some people were afraid of what would happen to their neighborhoods if black people moved in. It is racism and it seems irrational to me...but apparently this neighborhood got together and didn't care if they were being racist.

People didn't feel this way towards Asians.

Old 09-14-2021, 03:54 PM

4,978 posts, read 2,558,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
I am trying to get a sense of your definition of white though. There were many neighborhoods like mine where the vast majority of my neighbors were from other countries and barely spoke the language. They were poor. They worked what jobs they could. I may be a fair bit older than you and maybe I just saw it before there were investment properties being bought up. The word privilege never entered my mind when I saw what a lot of these families have been through. But I guess by todays definition, if you aren't black you have had a life of ease and privileges.
Your perspective is not off-base. Living in an urban area and expecting that your kids will be attending a school within a reasonable distance of home is not entitlement, especially back in the 70's. There are many black Boston residents from those days who feel similar and who recognize the nature in which poor white people were pitted against poor black people. Even some of those involved in implementing busing have acknowledged its failure on many fronts.

That's not in any way to excuse those who engaged in hate fueled violence. Bigotry is taught and those kids learned that, just as many young people today learn bigotry and apply it to groups including the hatred from the far left identity merchants who also have been transforming young people into victims - another learned trait instilled over the years of their upbringing. If everyday you are told you suck, you'll learn to hate yourself. If everyday you are told you're a victim, then you'll be that too. Both messages are as equally dis-empowering. The true victims are those who are used as pawns by the power-elite and their allied sycophants who help perpetuate the problems through sheer ignorance and selfishness.

https://www.wbur.org/news/2010/07/13/boston-busing

Old 09-14-2021, 04:48 PM

11,985 posts, read 7,748,183 times
Quote:
I'm not that familiar with redlining I guess. I do recall a time in the 80s/early 90s where a black family was looking at a house in East Milton in the neighborhood of someone I knew. The real estate agent received many complaints from the neighborhood and in the end would not sell to them. The neighbors seemed to be relieved. I remember telling my mother about this (i was about 9 or 10) and she seemed horrified and was like that's terrible. I didn't know what to think but knew it was nasty. One of the women who didn't want the black famliy moving in was a former nun. Such good church going people.
Thats East Milton for you. Thats the neighborhood mh dad and all his friends grew up in. However, about 70% lean blue…

Old 09-14-2021, 04:49 PM

11,985 posts, read 7,748,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
I'm doing two things:

1. I'm voting for Boston policies and candidates that are trying to improve access to equal opportunity and address racial injustice, and financially supporting local minority-owned businesses and causes in the local area.

2. I'm talking about the issue to those within my family and social circle to raise awareness of it. I can often connect with them on a more personal level and get them to be a little less defensive about something they have no reason to be defensive about.
What candidates do you support or align with? Or any insight?

Old 09-14-2021, 05:41 PM

23,116 posts, read 18,270,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Thats East Milton for you. Thats the neighborhood mh dad and all his friends grew up in. However, about 70% lean blue…

???

Old 09-14-2021, 05:43 PM

23,116 posts, read 18,270,746 times
Quote:
I didn't say it wasn't racism. But clearly some people were afraid of what would happen to their neighborhoods if black people moved in. It is racism and it seems irrational to me...but apparently this neighborhood got together and didn't care if they were being racist.

People didn't feel this way towards Asians.

Some of the early Asians in Quincy might disagree.

Old 09-14-2021, 06:16 PM

I know for a fact this former nun and her family voted blue.

Also had a friend whose mother about died when she had a black prom date. Also staunch democratic family. For some reason people assume racists are republicans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston