Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2021, 01:20 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
You think this is a good thing?
I'm very indifferent. Its what I knew/know. Pretty much everyone drinks..

The city still seems better than most places. Could be worse, could be meth or coke or heroin.

Old 09-26-2021, 01:25 PM

16,306 posts, read 8,126,207 times
In my mind it seems more acceptable to have a beer or glass of wine than it is to have joint. Many people think of smoking as dirty and unhealthy which it is.

Old 09-26-2021, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Maybe if I had asked people for it, it wouldn't have been a problem to get. But I wasn't interested. It wasn't being offered to me though either. At my high school there were kids who smoked pot for sure. I didn't hang out with them though and as far as I knew they weren't smoking on campus. That wound be a huge no.

I also am not sure it's such a good thing to be a regular pot smoker particularly as a teacher, parent or coach. Being dependent on a substance is why people go to rehab.

At the end of the day smoking pot and drinking are similar but alcohol can be easier to hide. Pot stinks. I know some people like how it smells. Not me.

Smoke from marijuana combustion has been shown to contain many of the same toxins, irritants and carcinogens as tobacco smoke

I thought about trying edible gummies but decided against it mostly because it sounds like they make you hungry. I've put on some weight during covid that I haven't been particularly motivated to lose so eating more because of cannabis I consumed seemed like a bad idea.
Well, weed doesn't have active effects on you for more than ~4 hours, so plenty of time to do other things, and most people don't smoke every day. So I don't see why it's different than to be a regular drinker.

Weed smoke is nowhere near as harmful as cigarette smoke- if it were, it wouldn't have been legalized in MA. And you cant smoke as many joints as cigarettes, and they don't have nicotine. People smoke packs of cigarettes i a day. No one other than a rapper does that with weed. One joint in a day is a lot, 2 is a lazy day at the house with no responsibilities. No real reasons smoking a joint is more dangerous than like 2 shots or a Big Mac... it's just a social conditioning and an aversion to smoke in general (you've acknowledged this yourself).

Edibles I find to be inconsistent but so much safer from a dispensary than on the street where they can be dangerously powerful and frightening for some people. Edibles are challenging to make corrections and can easily have accidentally high dosages. I would prefer edibles if they were a bit more consistent from brand to brand in dispensaries. I don't like feeling like I wasted my money with a dud edible.

As for the smell, I like the smell, always have. Its only been legal for 5 years here so I think its another 15-20 years before the stigma really begins to come off. Im no marijuana advocate but I feel like it just should be legal and just let it come into its own as an industry. Not everyone needs to support it or embrace it.

my only ask is that MA gets rid of Host COmmunity agreements as it opens the floodgates to people who know nothing about weed or how to manage a burgeoning multi-billion dollar industry to have a major impact. If its legal and you're town voted in favor it should open via state approval in the form of the CCC. Local-yokel town officials really aren't qualified to handle that sort tof thing and they go straight to extortion in their HCA's. They don't know about weed, they dont know about how its federally illegal status affects banking, they haven't done their own traffic studies, they just aren't qualified. There's a state commission for that. It also allows any prejudiced individual to bar a minority or lgbtq owned business from operating just because with very little quesitoning.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 09-26-2021 at 01:38 PM..

Old 09-26-2021, 01:30 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,654,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Well, weed doesn't have active effects on you for more than ~4 hours, so plenty of time to do other things, and most people don't smoke every day. So I don't see why it's different than to be a regular drinker.

Weed smoke is nowhere near as harmful as cigarette smoke- if it were, it wouldn't have been legalized in MA. No real reasons smoking a joint is more dangerous than like 2 shots or a Big Mac... it's just a social conditioning and an aversion to smoke in general (you've acknowledged this yourself).

Edibles I find to be inconsistent but so much safer from a dispensary than on the street where they can be dangerously powerful and frightening for some people. Edibles are challenging to make corrections and can easily have accidentally high dosages. I would prefer edibles if they were a bit more consistent from brand to brand in dispensaries. I don't like feeling like I wasted my money with a dud edible.

As for the smell, I like the smell, always have. Its only been legal for 5 years here so I think its another 15-20 years before the stigma really begins to come off. Im no marijuana advocate but I feel like it just should be legal and just let it come into its own as an industry. Not everyone needs to support it or embrace it.
Hahaha. Yeah, okay.

Old 09-26-2021, 01:36 PM

16,306 posts, read 8,126,207 times
There is definitely a stigma. It'll be a while before pot is ever served at wedding that's for sure.

I'm just not into which is probably a good thing because I certainly overdo it with alcohol and junk food at times. Cravings. I don't need more of those.

Old 09-26-2021, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
There is definitely a stigma. It'll be a while before pot is ever served at wedding that's for sure.

I'm just not into which is probably a good thing because I certainly overdo it with alcohol and junk food at times. Cravings. I don't need more of those.
People already have weed weddings.

https://www.brides.com/story/want-to...-weed-friendly

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...juana-cannabis

https://www.theknot.com/content/mari...-into-weddings

https://fortune.com/2020/01/23/weddi...bis-budtender/

Cannabis Sommeliers and Cannabis dining in Boston
https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/mar...vgM/story.html

https://www.masscannabischefs.com/

In facts its Boston Cannabis Week Right now. (separate and unrelated to HempFest)

https://www.linkedin.com/company/bostoncannabisweek/

https://www.bostoncannabisweek.com/

https://www.instagram.com/bostoncannabisweek/?hl=en

Old 09-26-2021, 04:45 PM

UMass official reports increase in racist, anti-Black incidents on campus

Black students, groups at UMass Amherst hit with barrage of racist crap
A Springfield minister whose son is a senior majoring in architecture at UMass Amherst has posted a copy of a racist email sent to Black students on campus.

Why is Boston so famous for its racism?!-screenshot-127-.png
Why is Boston so famous for its racism?!-screenshot-129-.png

^This is why HBCUs still exist. Naturally this has already found its way to black media outlets like Baller Alert

Gov. Baker wants more housing. A fight in his backyard shows how hard that will be

Esquilin, a single mother, is struggling to find a place she can afford. Raised by her grandparents in next-door Lynn, she moved to Swampscott because she loves the town’s peacefulness and the way her daughter can play outside after school. But her rent, now $2,000, has increased by $500 in the past eight months, she said.

I would love to move in there,” Esquilin, 31, said of Elm Place. “There’s nothing that’s affordable. . . .That’s why there’s not a mix of races in Swampscott. Because there’s no affordable rent.”

According to 2020 census data, Swampscott is 85 percent white; Aniyjah, 12, is one of the only Black students in her school who is not, as Esquilin put it, “imported” through the METCO busing program. Lynn is 34 percent white. The two towns share a history: The northern, wealthier part of Lynn seceded in the 1850s to become Swampscott.

Swampscott rigidly enforces residency requirements for its schools. Esquilin briefly moved to an apartment in Lynn with Aniyjah, keeping her in a Swampscott school against district rules. They got in trouble and soon moved back to Swampscott. But for the next three years, a uniformed police officer came to the family’s home to verify that Aniyjah truly lived in Swampscott, according to Esquilin. (The Swampscott police and school superintendent’s office confirmed this policy.)

Again none of this is happening in BOSTON. But people outside the state really don't differentiate, but they probably should. When I went to school in Connecticut we had incidents like this too. And one time they even spray painted the N-Word on a bed sheet and hung it on a building in the Quad for everyone to see on Monday morning. Such is life when you re a black person, this is the norm. Never forget I had a family friend lynched in Upstate New York in 03..

Towns like Danvers, Swampscott and Georgetown all have one thing in common-they're very white.

Last edited by BostonBornMassMade; 09-26-2021 at 05:07 PM..

Old 09-26-2021, 05:04 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,070,576 times
I want to live in Weston because I love the town’s peacefulness but I can’t afford it, do you see me going around screaming about all sorts of *isms and demanding someone rents me a house for not a penny more than $2,500 a month even though the cheapest house in town is well over $1.5M? What makes her entitled to live some place she cannot afford?

Also you’ll be hard-pressed to find any house in Swampscott for under $600,000 - $2,000 a month rent is more than reasonable and $1,500 is an outright giveaway.

Quote:
UMass official reports increase in racist, anti-Black incidents on campus

Black students, groups at UMass Amherst hit with barrage of racist crap
A Springfield minister whose son is a senior majoring in architecture at UMass Amherst has posted a copy of a racist email sent to Black students on campus.

Attachment 231975
Attachment 231977

^This is why HBCUs still exist.

Gov. Baker wants more housing. A fight in his backyard shows how hard that will be

Esquilin, a single mother, is struggling to find a place she can afford. Raised by her grandparents in next-door Lynn, she moved to Swampscott because she loves the town’s peacefulness and the way her daughter can play outside after school. But her rent, now $2,000, has increased by $500 in the past eight months, she said.

I would love to move in there,” Esquilin, 31, said of Elm Place. “There’s nothing that’s affordable. . . .That’s why there’s not a mix of races in Swampscott. Because there’s no affordable rent.”

According to 2020 census data, Swampscott is 85 percent white; Aniyjah, 12, is one of the only Black students in her school who is not, as Esquilin put it, “imported” through the METCO busing program. Lynn is 34 percent white. The two towns share a history: The northern, wealthier part of Lynn seceded in the 1850s to become Swampscott.

Swampscott rigidly enforces residency requirements for its schools. Esquilin briefly moved to an apartment in Lynn with Aniyjah, keeping her in a Swampscott school against district rules. They got in trouble and soon moved back to Swampscott. But for the next three years, a uniformed police officer came to the family’s home to verify that Aniyjah truly lived in Swampscott, according to Esquilin. (The Swampscott police and school superintendent’s office confirmed this policy.)

Again none of this is happening in BOSTON. But people outside the state really don't differentiate, but they probably should.

Towns like Danvers, Swampscott and Georgetown all have one thing in common-they're very white.

Old 09-26-2021, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieWhitie View Post
I want to live in Weston because I love the town’s peacefulness but I can’t afford it, do you see me going around screaming about all sorts of *isms and demanding someone rents me a house for not a penny more than $2,500 a month even though the cheapest house in town is well over $1.5M? What makes her entitled to live some place she cannot afford?

Also you’ll be hard-pressed to find any house in Swampscott for under $600,000 - $2,000 a month rent is more than reasonable and $1,500 is an outright giveaway.
Its just systemic racism. They know the lower the income the more minorities can enter. The more units the more minorities can enter. If that means a couple broke big fat dudes cant get in, thats cool. You can catch a stray as far as they're concerned.

Nothing to say about the 3 years of police visits or racial harassment on campus --of course.

Old 09-26-2021, 05:14 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,070,576 times
So selling or renting a house at market rate instead of giving it away for next to nothing just because the prospective buyer/renter happens to be black and broke is systemic racism? Got it!

Quote:
Its just systemic racism. They know the lower the income the more minorities can enter. The more units the more minorities can enter. If that means a couple broke big fat dudes cant get in, thats cool. You can catch a stray as far as they're concerned.

Nothing to say about the 3 years of police visits or racial harassment on campus --of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston