Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2021, 10:28 PM

12,159 posts, read 7,989,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Fam... you move every 12 weeks. It was Boston, a minute ago it was Rahway, then it was Highland Park, then New Brunswick, now it's some 82% black city somewhere. I have no idea where you live at this point.

Wherever you live-you just got there.
I lived in Rahway for 12 months. Boston for 14.

Now I live somewhere new. I do move a lot.. which is what usually happens in grad school and shuffling around from a pandemic. I put Highland Park cause s/o lives there .. but i realized that was stupid. However i will be in Central NJ for atleast 5 more years.

It is very confusing.. i cant even keep up as I sit here with three state IDs (MA FL NJ)

Old 10-03-2021, 10:33 PM

23,539 posts, read 18,678,020 times
Quote:

I see just "another day in the ghetto" kind of shootings, nothing much more to them than that other than maybe them occurring in broad daylight.

The previous video was a whole nother...like something out of a Rio favela. Or East New York...

But don't we have more important stuff to worry about anyway, like happy hour?

Old 10-03-2021, 10:35 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,568,970 times
Quote:
This is a great point and a very needed conversation.

Yea I mean you just see upbeat young black people with an alternative interest in NYC hoods. That doesn't really get sine in Boston as most young black people out on the street in Boston are just gruffer than NYC. they had the fewer cultural and economic opportunities and they're not as well socially adjusted. Virtually everyone including myself in Boston who is black or latino and from there has been shot at, jumped, had their home broken into, one people shot or something like that. Virtually everyone. Including myself in multiple instances. I had a classmate at RL who was got roughed up and robbed for his phone multiple times in Bromley Heath. His cousin was shot and killed and he was a Nobles student. On reason for my dad moving us off Wood Ave was "so we dont grow up thinking everything that isn't bolted to the ground was up fro grabs" They broke into our home and garage on multiple occasions. And even fliered the neighborhood with gang recruitment posters I'm very serious). Last time I came from Allston on the 66 I happened to run into a friend of mine who told me they just trie dto jump him at Ruggles. I have so any of these stories.

In Boston youre not seeing young black people out in Dorchester dining on the street or walking around with bicycles, and paintbrushes, or a guitar, or whatever. Its just not happening. most anyone out in the street in Dorchester is involved in something nefarious, unfortunately. Again less so than 10 years ago when that really felt like all there was to do...

Menino and Flynn wanted to slow the spread of crime by closing black establishments at the first hint of disorder or an issue. Go to the "Growing up in Roxbury, MA" FB page and you'll see. All the order residents lament the loss of civic and social life in Roxbury and the South End. Places where there were bars, and movie theaters, and the like have long since closed and were trying to claw back to that somehow but RE values won't allow it. IN terms of vibrancy and activity Boston hoods probably bottomed out from 1995-2010.

Many older folks seem to appreciate the more suburban nature of Bosotn and enjoy aging here whereas in NYC they seem to get stressed and head for the hills aka NC/GA/FL.
this ain't normal (2020) | showtime

Old 10-03-2021, 10:47 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I lived in Rahway for 12 months. Boston for 14.

Now I live somewhere new. I do move a lot.. which is what usually happens in grad school and shuffling around from a pandemic. I put Highland Park cause s/o lives there .. but i realized that was stupid

It is very confusing.. i cant even keep up as I sit here with three state IDs (MA FL NJ)
Yea now as I've said places in NJ have hoods that aren't comparable to Boston.

NYC? this is not that case-they're hoods noticeably and obviously nicer than Trenton, Camden, Paterson, Newark and even part of Jersey City. Really shock full of immigrants, social services, shopping and transit. also way more urban and engaging. North Jersey hoods are like if Boston hoods had frozen in 1995 or something- or maybe deteriorated. But these NYC hoods? I'm unphased...anything that happens there? happens in Boston if not worse- because they face the same level of gentrification pressure (if not more) and even more immigrants in those communities. As I've said way too many unpleasant stories in Boston, Massachusetts to share on here.

A real Bostonian in the hood is not going to care what someone in NYC says or Jersey says because they haven't lived it. And the numbers back it up. Except for maybe this year, 2021. I know a dude, a friend of mine, from Roxbury..my friends and I used to have something called d'story time' where we told otherwise secret stories. One of his stories was he went down to NYC got lost at night in Harlem told me how he took off his backpack, put his gym shorts on, put his sneakers then waited in the bushes ..... waited for a man to bicycle by- came out, snuffed him and took that bike and rode it to Brooklyn something like 3 AM. Thats normal for him that's normal for a lotta people in Boston. I don't think he's intimidated by NYC...

I was tipsy in NYC something like 4am my 25th brithday, I left Harlem Hookah with my friend and took the train back down to Brooklyn not a care in the world. I walked through Harlem in a way I never would have walked through Grove Hall-why? because it's normalized, lights are on, police are out- I didn't feel in danger the way I would have on Danube Street or Quincy Street..

Moving around as much as you do... how can you even really feel a place out for real, for real? You're not gonna know the beefs, the OGs, the rackets, the plays, the spots-not like that. Not possible. You don't have any OGs or active members telling you the history of any of that.

Now in NYC you'll see more trash and graffiti out but you'll also see a host of pleasant things you won't see in Four Corners or Norfolk Street.

Old 10-03-2021, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76ILcwV41wk&t=5s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHye_5KOqEs&t=89s

Old 10-04-2021, 12:57 AM

17,685 posts, read 9,168,053 times
Quote:
But again it's particularly acute from people who create threads to fear monger providence or generally have always lived in boston suburbs..
Quote:
individuals known to be intolerant of black/brown people in general. Mind that
This sounds like Belmont brainwashing.

Old 10-04-2021, 04:22 AM

1,038 posts, read 680,680 times
I'm probably going to sound like a broken record here, but the fight over which city has worse neighborhoods (NY vs Bos) is probably a fight between stats and cognitive bias.

Overall, NYC has lower murder rate than Boston. That is a fact.

However, NYC is still much denser than Boston, so crime would seem higher because people would live closer in proximity to criminal activities, even if the crime actually affects a lower or equal number of people.

Here's an example comparing NYC to a state with the exact same murder rate:

Murder rate comparison 2018

NYC - 3.5/100,000
Montana - 3.5/100,000

New York City and the state of Montana had the EXACT SAME MURDER RATE IN 2018, but in which location would you be more likely to hear gun shots, see police tape or walk with your shoulders ready "just in case"? Of course it would be NYC, but that's because you are more likely to witness something related to the murder that happens in your jurisdiction.

If we were to look at Boston vs NYC, you'll see that despite Boston being one of the densest large cities in the country, it's still not nearly as dense as NYC. Couple that with the fact that Boston's bad neighborhoods tend to be less dense than the nicer hoods. NYC has plenty of rougher neighborhoods in Brooklyn or the Bronx at are well over 50,000 pp/sm.

Old 10-04-2021, 08:43 AM

16,325 posts, read 8,150,917 times
BBMM went to Roxbury Latin. Do you know how many people would love to go to that school? Obviously he had good parents and I'm not sure what he's so angry about.

There's no point in being angry over what other people don't have or didn't have. Sure, you can try to help them if you'd like to...but why not just be happy that you got to have a better life? Sounds like you have a lot of guilt.

Old 10-04-2021, 09:21 AM

17,685 posts, read 9,168,053 times
Trinity College

Liberal arts college in Hartford, Connecticut

Average annual cost
Before aid $76,850
After aid $32,122
Aid includes grants and scholarships from the institution, state, and federal government
Source: US Dept of Education (IPEDS)

Old 10-04-2021, 09:58 AM

Folks, you have no idea what my parents are like. Trust me when I say in we're-flawed to say the very least. Arrests, drug addiction, alcoholism etc etc. I wasn't even always living with my parents. In that I was exposed to a lot of things but more so from extended family. Remember I lived with my grandmother on Humboldt Ave for a few years. But also spent a few months at a time with my uncle on Harvard street (which is why I reference Franklin Field multiple times) or a few days here in there with another uncle in Rockland.

But they're goal was for me to get a good education and move out of Boston. They were able to maintain employment and it was really just my dad who wanted me to move for better opportunity.
I also- know how much trinity costs, which is why im thankful for the generous aid that I received from them.keep in mind I was a pell grant student…. My parents paid exactly $0 towards my secondary education. I have zero “guilt”-where are you getting that from? What about me looks like guilt. Lots of people from less privileged backgrounds go to good schools and are thankful they did but I don’t think guilt is ever something I’ve heard discussed.

Also, none of this really has anything to do with my life in general…I know some of you are envious you didn’t get to attend the schools I did and you’ll get over it- but you wouldn’t understand. Going to nice schools does not insulate you from anything.

Lastly it doesn’t make East New York or Brownsvilles crime rate higher. So continue to fish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston