Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 09:01 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,499,104 times

Advertisements

Evening all. My company in RTP but HQ'd in Cambridge is sending me up there from June 19th-July 2nd. I'm staying at the Kimpton Marlowe Hotel. They won't be reimbursing travel on my free time or providing a rental (10 min walk from hotel to company on 2nd st) but they will be reimbursing all my meals up to $50 a night for dinner, $25 for lunch, $15 for breakfast. The hotel has breakfast so I'll just be catching a plate there every morning and I'll figure something for lunch, but...

$50 for dinner for 1 person, feel like I could hit some pretty decent places. I would like some suggestions. I live in the Raleigh area which has a decent number of restaurants but not much in the way of authentic ethnic cuisine (except for Indian, Chinese and mexican)...i love ethnic cuisine. I've already decided on a Puerto Rican joint called Vejigantes in Boston, but would like suggestions for middle eastern and African. I dislike seafood. The $50 I'll make that the price of the meal, I can tip 20% out of pocket.

Also a bit confused on public transportation. Taxis are probably too expensive. I'm not sure how extensive the subway network is there, the website is confusing. How much is a subway ride? A bus ride? I Google mapped Marlow to Vejigantes via public transportation and it was talking bout "the Orange line" the whole way, didn't include a price.

Pretty sure I'm going to hit the Science Museum on my first free day. I have famnily in Framingham so I'll be visiting them at least 1 or 2 days that first weekend. Any other suggestions for things to do or see after 5 pm?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2017, 09:28 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
MBTA.com > Information on Fares and Gifts

2.25 train, 1.70 bus.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:45 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,499,104 times
Okay thanks for the amount. The Google maps map looks easy enough. A relatively direct route from my hotel to this particular restaurant apparently. Do I have to buy some metro card or can I pay by the ride at a kiosk or? I Haven't been to a NE metro in years.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:25 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Okay thanks for the amount. The Google maps map looks easy enough. A relatively direct route from my hotel to this particular restaurant apparently. Do I have to buy some metro card or can I pay by the ride at a kiosk or? I Haven't been to a NE metro in years.
How much do you think you'll use it?

You can get a card at most convenience stores and put money on there or on machines at the station. If you have to use the t for going to work stuff, consider getting the week pass (unavailable on machines, but you can tell the person st 7-11 or wherever that you want the 7 day week put on).

For getting places in the urban Boston area, especially if you're more focused on Cambridge , the t is pretty straightforward I guess. You won't come to hate it in only 2 weeks.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:57 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,232,387 times
I would not get a rental car. You can use the red line, your two feet, and Uber/Lyft (usually cheaper than a taxi) to get around.

There are lots of dining options in Cambridge/Somerville. I'd recommend looking at Yelp or Tripadvisor.

Old 06-13-2017, 05:51 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,119,515 times
For a casual bar atmosphere and traditional Lebanese food, along with classic American fare I would walk to the Middle East in Central Square.

Old 06-13-2017, 06:21 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,097,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Evening all. My company in RTP but HQ'd in Cambridge is sending me up there from June 19th-July 2nd. I'm staying at the Kimpton Marlowe Hotel. They won't be reimbursing travel on my free time or providing a rental (10 min walk from hotel to company on 2nd st) but they will be reimbursing all my meals up to $50 a night for dinner, $25 for lunch, $15 for breakfast. The hotel has breakfast so I'll just be catching a plate there every morning and I'll figure something for lunch, but...

$50 for dinner for 1 person, feel like I could hit some pretty decent places. I would like some suggestions. I live in the Raleigh area which has a decent number of restaurants but not much in the way of authentic ethnic cuisine (except for Indian, Chinese and mexican)...i love ethnic cuisine. I've already decided on a Puerto Rican joint called Vejigantes in Boston, but would like suggestions for middle eastern and African. I dislike seafood. The $50 I'll make that the price of the meal, I can tip 20% out of pocket.

Also a bit confused on public transportation. Taxis are probably too expensive. I'm not sure how extensive the subway network is there, the website is confusing. How much is a subway ride? A bus ride? I Google mapped Marlow to Vejigantes via public transportation and it was talking bout "the Orange line" the whole way, didn't include a price.

Pretty sure I'm going to hit the Science Museum on my first free day. I have famnily in Framingham so I'll be visiting them at least 1 or 2 days that first weekend. Any other suggestions for things to do or see after 5 pm?
I'm by no means an expert, but I can recommend the few Middle Eastern favorites I've been to in the area, all well within your budget:

The Helmand Restaurant in Cambridge MA

Cafe Barada

Istanbul'lu.com "enjoy The food"

Old 06-13-2017, 06:51 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Lyft or Uber ride is super cheap.

Sarma in Somerville (Turkish) and Ariana in Allston (Afghani).

Old 06-13-2017, 07:13 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
The Helmand is an excellent recommendation and right around the corner from the OP's hotel.

Old 06-13-2017, 07:23 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
The Helmand has good food, but unless they've had a dramatic shift, crummy service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston