Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 03:39 PM

23,539 posts, read 18,687,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Some parts of it may have value but not all. Some of Southie culture has unfortunately long been associated with racism, homophobia, ignorance, xenophobia, and illegal activity.
So has "human" culture.

If you watched the above video, Hyde Park High was featured as well. You never hear Hyde Park "influence" being blamed. Why always point your figure at Southie?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 07:34 AM

2,722 posts, read 6,110,810 times
Quote:
Some of Southie culture has unfortunately long been associated with racism, homophobia, ignorance, xenophobia, and illegal activity.
Seriously? Even more so than the traditionally Italian-American neighborhoods? East Boston, North End, Revere? How about Charlestown, Somerville or the West End? South End, Mission Hill, Jamaica Plain? Shall I go on? How about any inner city neighborhood in any city in America?

Get real.

Why don't you name us one city or town, anywhere in the US, that is free of ignorant law breakers?

I'll wait.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:07 AM

8,496 posts, read 4,555,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
Seriously? Even more so than the traditionally Italian-American neighborhoods? East Boston, North End, Revere? How about Charlestown, Somerville or the West End? South End, Mission Hill, Jamaica Plain? Shall I go on? How about any inner city neighborhood in any city in America?

Get real.

Why don't you name us one city or town, anywhere in the US, that is free of ignorant law breakers?

I'll wait.

Most other inner city places may be somewhat similar but I do not think they celebrated this behavior as if it is something to be proud of as was the case with residents of Southie.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Most other inner city places may be somewhat similar but I do not think they celebrated this behavior as if it is something to be proud of as was the case with residents of Southie.
I'm a resident of Southie. Care to share some examples of this behavior that I'm apparently so proud of?

Old 07-05-2017, 05:19 PM

2,079 posts, read 1,124,455 times
Quote:

Get real.

I'll wait.
Provincetown?

Old 07-05-2017, 05:39 PM

10,006 posts, read 15,656,467 times
Check the crime rate in Provincetown.

//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...achusetts.html

Old 07-05-2017, 06:55 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Check the crime rate in Provincetown.

//www.city-data.com/crime/crime...achusetts.html
It's the tourists

Old 07-06-2017, 12:55 PM

8,496 posts, read 4,555,950 times
Quote:
I'm a resident of Southie. Care to share some examples of this behavior that I'm apparently so proud of?
Much of it was in the past and is thankfully dying out.

Here are some general things just off the top of my head that have occurred in Southie over the years:

Racist acts during busing and chasing blacks off the beaches over the years. Homophobic parade committee. Whitey Bulger and his Irish mob gang (murders, extortion, & other criminal activities) and the neighborhood protection and glorification of them by many residents. Dislike/distrust of newcomers or anyone not originally from Southie.

This article captures some of the many stereotypes of Southie:
One of Us: A Typical Southie Kid at Home, Black on the Street

Old 07-06-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Racist acts during busing and chasing blacks off the beaches over the years.
Not a proud moment. But this was almost a half century ago, and most current residents, myself included, weren't even born yet. Also, other neighborhoods in the city also protested the forced bussing policies. Black and white neighborhoods. It wasn't only Southie.

Quote:
Homophobic parade committee.
How many members of the parade committee live in Southie? I believe the Allied War Vets Council is headquartered on the south shore.

Quote:
Whitey Bulger and his Irish mob gang (murders, extortion, & other criminal activities) and the neighborhood protection and glorification of them by many residents.
So you're condemning a neighborhood of 35,000 because of maybe 2 dozen hoods? All of whom have been dead or locked up for the past 2 decades.

Also, I'm not aware of any long term residents who glorified any of them. They were dirty crooks in eyes of most everyone.

Quote:
Dislike/distrust of newcomers or anyone not originally from Southie.
This is typical for any New England town. Not just Southie.

So from what I can tell, you're anti Southie prejudices are based on dated and inaccurate information.

Old 07-06-2017, 07:44 PM

23,539 posts, read 18,687,760 times
Quote:
They were dirty crooks in eyes of most everyone.
I once worked with a "Whitey defender" from Southie. He never claimed that he was a good guy or anything, more that his victims weren't any more innocent than he is. I think that was fairly typical not only there, but in other ethnic enclaves as well. The Italians in East Boston or Federal Hill Providence were no different. It's half a Stockholm Syndrome sort of thing, and also the "devil you know is better than those evil Feds coming in shaking up OUR schools without cause".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston