Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which area is best for a young professional?
North End 3 17.65%
Brighton 4 23.53%
Cambridge 9 52.94%
Quincy 1 5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 05:10 PM

85 posts, read 332,447 times

Advertisements

I have a condo in Quincy and am very happy here. It's very close to Boston, and you can definitely find something decent in the price range that you mentioned. Btw, I have a great view of Boston

Safety is not an issue where I am - some neighborhoods are better than others, but overall I think that Quincy has a good reputation in that regard.

Commuting to the northern part of the state would a pain. I used to commute from the South Shore to the North Shore, and hated it! So, depending on how frequently you would be doing that, it might be a reason to consider someplace else.

Also, Quincy isn't known for it's exciting night life. However, being so close to Boston might be able to make up for that.

Chelsea has some new developments, but it still has a high crime rate, so I wouldn't recommend investing there now.

As HowGoesIt mentioned, renting for a year might be a good strategy, while you familiarize yourself with the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2008, 05:16 PM
LCT

24 posts, read 71,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhawkin1 View Post
Anyone heard of the Carruth on "Dot Ave." Dorchester? I know the sterotypes of Dorchester, but with the new Ashmont T and several innovative businesses going in, I'm wondering if it would be worth a second glance?

I would call the area "in transition"; I'd wait a while & see how it progresses. At present, personally I'd avoid making a commitment to the area especially if you'd be outside after dark (and don't forget when the time changes in winter it gets dark around 4:30PM). If there's no secured area for parking, you're likely to find your car and/or it's contents missing in the morning.

Old 04-22-2008, 04:49 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,894,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
I agree with howGoes. If you're young, live IN town. You'll beat the traffic and if you want fun, it's here, not there. You might like the Fenway. Check out this graph.

//pics4.city-data.com/zag/za02215.png

And here's what the neighborhood looks like:

Stroll Around Boston 10-9-06 - a photoset on Flickr

IMG_0888_1 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Are there really two times as many 20 something women as men there? Where do all the men live?

Old 04-22-2008, 07:32 PM

32,613 posts, read 77,425,796 times
Whatever you decide be sure it's within an easy walk of the "T." When my friends and I vacationed in Massachusetts in 2006 we stayed at a home in Sandwich, on Cape Cod, and then drove to park our car at a "T" station just south of town in the suburb of Braintree. We took that into the city and cruised by miles of stalled rush hour traffic along Route 3 and I-93. We took it to Boston Commons, the Back Bay, and the Fenway Park area. It was wonderful! Take advantage of mass transit if you can!

Old 04-23-2008, 03:20 AM
LCT

24 posts, read 71,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Whatever you decide be sure it's within an easy walk of the "T." When my friends and I vacationed in Massachusetts in 2006 we stayed at a home in Sandwich, on Cape Cod, and then drove to park our car at a "T" station just south of town in the suburb of Braintree. We took that into the city and cruised by miles of stalled rush hour traffic along Route 3 and I-93. We took it to Boston Commons, the Back Bay, and the Fenway Park area. It was wonderful! Take advantage of mass transit if you can!
ScranBarre,

Haven't I seen a lot of posts by you on the NEPA pages? You seem like a very amicable, knowledgeable person. Would you be available for a discussion on the pros/cons of relocating from the Boston area to the Lancaster PA area? It's either Lancaster or home to Pittsburgh; I cannot make a decision. I'm getting ready to flip a coin; if it stays in the air, I'll stay here....

[Rapidly aging] baby-boomer, SWF with elderly handicap mother in tow. I'm on a fixed income, getting priced right out of here and am nervous about the future, especially with our midget, spend-aholic governor.

Old 04-26-2008, 09:31 AM

32,613 posts, read 77,425,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCT View Post
ScranBarre,

Haven't I seen a lot of posts by you on the NEPA pages? You seem like a very amicable, knowledgeable person. Would you be available for a discussion on the pros/cons of relocating from the Boston area to the Lancaster PA area? It's either Lancaster or home to Pittsburgh; I cannot make a decision. I'm getting ready to flip a coin; if it stays in the air, I'll stay here....

[Rapidly aging] baby-boomer, SWF with elderly handicap mother in tow. I'm on a fixed income, getting priced right out of here and am nervous about the future, especially with our midget, spend-aholic governor.
Good morning. Sorry I haven't noticed your reply until today. Scranton, PA, my area, is a good 3-hour haul from Lancaster, PA, so I'm not exactly the best resource to contact about that area. I've vacationed there several times and found the area to be pleasant, albeit sprawly, but your best bet would likely be to post your own new threads on the PA forum or use the advanced search feature to look for threads about Lancaster in PA. Best of luck!

Old 04-29-2008, 11:15 AM

1 posts, read 2,561 times
Default Southie all the way

I'm biased, I've lived in Southie for 8 years. Always safe, no problems. One of the best neighborhoods for your money -- you still get a little more for what you pay (i.e., parking garages, new construction, SF). You're right on top of downtown Boston, and easy to get in and out of the city. Public transportation and all major highways are five minutes away. Definitely lots on the market, but it's because most of them are new. Great outdoor space as well. Can't really swim in the harbor, but you have a beach!

Old 05-05-2008, 01:27 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,661,862 times
first of all, just rent-Your money then will buy more in J.P. check out the centre st and pond area. anyway, I just would in the days now be a happy free renter. also you you are just starting, therefore, why worry! J.P. is not really so bad! I like Southie, however, why pay the high overhead, when you may save the left over? rent first.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:46 PM

120 posts, read 481,352 times
Price-wise, you can't beat Quincy...you can easily get a 200k-250k condo. Elsewhere in the area, that is pretty much a pipe dream. Nightlife might not be as great as in the other areas, but keep in mind you're a 20 minute 'T' ride to downton Boston.

A bit off topic, but as a new grad, just make sure you can afford a condo before you make the leap. A 200-300k condo would run you about $1,500 to $2,500 a month when everything is taken into consideration...you know there's a big crisis in this country, so make sure you're ready before you do anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston