Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 12:00 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,648,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
No one is saying you personally should eat a "rabbit diet," however you define that.

I believe 2000 calories is the "standard" diet that they use to calculate percentages of daily intake on most labels and for giving general advice. But while a 2000 calorie diet might be right for a theoretical "average" individual, the reality is that a lot of different things go into a specific person's calorie requirement.

You are lucky, in a sense, that you happen to conform to the "standard" that is used (which is of a man, so automatically half the population are excluded and therefore that standard metric has limited applicabiity.)

That's great that 2000 calories per day works for you and no one is saying you should do anything differently. There are, however, many people who only need 1500 calories (or even less), and any more will cause weight gain.

BUT, when so many restaurants offer nothing less than 1000 calories, and if you have people eating 1000 calories for each meal, plus snacking and drinking high calorie drinks, you quickly get into the land of obesity.
Not to mention too much processed food. Sugar is the worst thing you can eat, and it is in almost everything now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 09:07 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,722,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
Not to mention too much processed food. Sugar is the worst thing you can eat, and it is in almost everything now.
I think a lot of the additives, preservatives, HCFS and artificial sweeteners are worse than sugar. But yes, there also is too much sugar in many foods.

Adding 1 tsp of sugar to a cup of coffee (I think that's about 4 grams) adds 16 calories. Granted, that is technically infinitely more than 0 calories added by an artificial sweetener, but I'd always pick the sugar.

Old 08-04-2017, 11:24 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,648,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I think a lot of the additives, preservatives, HCFS and artificial sweeteners are worse than sugar. But yes, there also is too much sugar in many foods.

Adding 1 tsp of sugar to a cup of coffee (I think that's about 4 grams) adds 16 calories. Granted, that is technically infinitely more than 0 calories added by an artificial sweetener, but I'd always pick the sugar.
Even get over the calorie thing. Diet soda supposedly has no calories, but isn't any better (in most cases) worse then you then regular soda. The government and these companies need to stop trying to make crap food seem like its good. No, soda isn't good for you. No, ice cream or whatever other thing they call it (frozen yogurt, gelato) isn't good for you.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:16 AM

65 posts, read 179,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstateman92 View Post
Can anyone give me some
Healthy options for restaurants/pubs I want to try and stay healthy for my trip . Not looking for over top vegan etc . Just places with many healthy options on the menu
Sorry that I didn't see this sooner.

The foremost Boston healthy eating chain that comes to mind is Clover Food Lab https://www.cloverfoodlab.com/ Ayr started this veggie street food chain with food trucks. He now has quite a few brick and mortar restaurants around town. Fast, minimal, high innovation, low overhead model. The food trucks do not accept cash (cards only) although the brick and mortar stores do. The words vegetarian or vegan are never used to describe the food because they connote the wrong vibe. Definitely try the Bridgewater platter if available when you are here. Overnight oats with peanut butter, cheesy grits with egg, and the popover sandwiches are good breakfast options. They have an app that allows you to order ahead. No affiliation except that I have eaten there often since finding them.

We have all the typical healthy chains including Sweetgreen and b.good.

There are other Boston homegrown healthy eating places, I'm sure. The Boston/Cambridge area is one of the more health conscious places I have lived in (and I have lived in many big east coast cities).

Any other suggestions, people?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston