Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 10:38 AM

11,049 posts, read 12,381,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Well realistically, the Boston area is inundated with those sort of women whose one of top 5 questions will be "so what does he drive"?

But it's not alway a shallow/materialistic thing. Some women just want the freedom in a relationship to be able to go for a drive, or go any place at any hour. Some see a guy not having a vehicle as not having their s#:; together. Or they might endlessly ponder "Why?"..."what did he lose his license?" etc. etc.

Also most people these days meet online, and tend to be more spread out than in the past. When I lived in Quincy I once dated a girl from the N Shore who had no car. Me being the one driving back and forth all the time got old. If I didn't drive myself, I couldn't imagine it happening at all.

Then of course there are others who don't care.
I don't know, nowadays we uber everywhere. Door to door service. No parking and walking 15 minutes. I don't think anyone, man or woman, really minds doing that for dates. Then being able to drink too. I think it's better overall. Though sure, still less flexible than your own car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 10:04 AM

65 posts, read 178,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas27 View Post
Hi all,

I am a 33 year old single professional male moving from Houston to Boston. As part of a inter-company transfer, I am being transferred to Boston, but I quickly realized 120K in Houston is quite different from what it is in Boston.

I obviously want to be in a area that has a good singles scene that is also in my budget. Also, I have couple of Masters degrees in Engineering and want to be in a area that is mostly populated by educated professionals if possible.

So what are my best bets?

Thanks,

Axel
I haven't read through the entire thread but will give my 2 cents re: the original question.

120K actually isn't THAT much money here. Especially if you have large student loan payments, you could have a barely middle class lifestyle in Boston. (I know people will freak but, especially for newbies, this is a VERY expensive city and middle class by some definitions is not spending more than a quarter to a third of your disposable income on housing.) This is the second or third most expensive rental market in the country. I came here from NYC and was astonished that people pay so much for so little in terms of what the city has to offer.

In general, maybe consider Cambridge? Where in Cambridge depends on what amenities you want. Maybe also explore the new developments in South Boston in Seaport and close to downtown? Brookline is a great area if you want more of an upscale, yuppie environment with everything within walking distance that is family friendly. Be prepared for extreme sticker shock when it comes to housing there though. I wouldn't say it has a great dating scene but definitely educated professionals.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:43 AM

2,057 posts, read 1,099,660 times
Ahh! Just about now seems like just the right time to make the Houston to Boston move. Lol lapalooza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston