Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 03:03 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,694,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
Interesting. I did some digging and the latest census figures show a majority of residents are "never married". Very similar to Cambridge overall as well. When you go a few kliks north and west it becomes noticeably more family and marriage heavy (Medford, Arlington, etc.).

Now for my anecdotes vs yours. Lots of child free renters in my hood. Only 4 owners out of the 15 places I know along my street and 1 has kids. The rest are old and established. I foresee many of the younger renters and unmarried couples moving to these more budget and family friendly places a town or two over once they start families. Way too expensive for the average joe unless you qualify for govt benefits.
She's controlling for income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 04:16 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,332,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
Interesting. I did some digging and the latest census figures show a majority of residents are "never married" and average age of around 30. Very similar to Cambridge overall as well. When you go a few kliks north and west it becomes noticeably more family and marriage heavy (Medford, Arlington, etc.).

Now for my anecdotes vs yours. Lots of child free renters in my hood. Only 4 owners out of the 15 places I know along my street and 1 has kids. The rest are old and established. I foresee many of the younger renters and unmarried couples moving to these more budget and family friendly places a town or two over once they start families. Way too expensive for the average joe unless you qualify for govt benefits (Somerville scores pretty high on unwed and on public assistance as well so that is obviously a big subset).

As for the OP, I'd say Somerville and Cambridge should be pretty high on the list for someone who is a young professional without kids.
Sure, urban areas always have more young single adults as a percentage, which is great because they keep the thriving neighborhoods alive. But why use anecdotes? Look up the number of kids in the city, then divide by square miles to calculate density of children per square mile. Then try to find any other city in the entire state with a higher density. You might just find that a family in Somerville or Cambridge will have more kids within a quarter mile than in any suburbs. You can do it by zipcode too. I will admit though, there are not alot of families that I know in your area for some reason - but spring hill is kid central.

Old 07-28-2017, 04:19 PM

9,524 posts, read 16,507,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas27 View Post
I know, it kinda sucks but the way Oil & Gas market has turned out t, there aren't too many options. When I tried to negotiate, they are telling me that this pay is well over what people get paid in Boston area. It just seems like overall pay levels are lower in Boston and cost of living is tremendously high.
Wages for many do not even come close to the high COL.

I can't stress enough about your housing decision. I recommend you live çloser to work. The winter driving will burn you out fast. You don't want to deal with a commute like your considering. I can guarantee you would regret it. Your also going to need to find a way to get comfortable with transit. It's a way of life for many in Greater Boston. It can get you to work when roads can't. I will never understand why a city the size ofHouston, behaves as it does on this issue.

You have lot to think about concerning your move. Make it as easy on yourself as possible. I would not live in Boston and commute to a job in Braintree. Unless I absolutely had to. Then I would want to know I had options besides driving during winter. Quite honestly living in inner city Boston with a car No Thanks. Between congestion, parking problems and cost . It's not a city to own one. Have you considered what insurance cost in Boston,? There are reasons people with a salary higher than yours. Don't own one.

Boston isn't Houston by no means. You won't be able to find similiar housing cost. Commuting will be different. Boston isn't dominated by cars the same as Houston is. It is extremely expensive to live in the area. It's why I had to retire in Florida, and not in my home state. I wish you well with your move. Perhaps you can ask thru work what others recommend for housing. People that have made the move your making. Good Luck.

Old 07-28-2017, 06:43 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,806,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
But why use anecdotes? Look up the number of kids in the city, then divide by square miles to calculate density of children per square mile. Then try to find any other city in the entire state with a higher density. You might just find that a family in Somerville or Cambridge will have more kids within a quarter mile than in any suburbs. You can do it by zipcode too.

Yes, good call. Somerville definitely ranks high in that very specific measure of population. I took the time to look up some other statistics. Somerville is the most densely populated city in the Commonwealth, as well as one of the smallest cities/towns land wise. So13.6% of people in Somerville are under 19 (could go lower but didn't want to exclude HS seniors). Not a tough connection to make for your claim, but it says little about the atmosphere or average resident.

For OP, a great kind of environment for someone who wants to only spend a few years here (as most people can only seem to afford) and live life as a younger single person. If you happen to be incredibly privileged or wealthy you could probably stick around and raise a family or move on to greener pastures.
Moderator cut: Links removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 08-02-2017 at 05:59 AM..

Old 07-28-2017, 07:02 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,920,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
Oh, there are quite a few of them left here in Somerville.
Yeah, as I said earlier, poorly phrased. Not that there aren't families in the city but more that there aren't singles in the suburbs. Which is why the OP should stay out of the suburbs.

Old 07-29-2017, 07:52 AM

2,942 posts, read 5,185,254 times
I knew of someone, good salary, from Downtown Atlanta, visiting Boston. Did not want use our T, as in Atlanta he drives everywhere. Took cabs while here. Similar to Houston, I'm sure.

Also, I think with some folks, it's partly elitism: after all, in Atlanta, only the underprivileged ride MARTA and buses, according to some? In Boston, many upscale people take subways, buses and commuter rail/boat. No stigma at all in Boston and environs.

(No, I'm not implying the OP is being elitist...he just seems comfy in the car after all these years in Houston).

Old 07-29-2017, 03:09 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,568,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
I knew of someone, good salary, from Downtown Atlanta, visiting Boston. Did not want use our T, as in Atlanta he drives everywhere. Took cabs while here. Similar to Houston, I'm sure.

Also, I think with some folks, it's partly elitism: after all, in Atlanta, only the underprivileged ride MARTA and buses, according to some? In Boston, many upscale people take subways, buses and commuter rail/boat. No stigma at all in Boston and environs.

(No, I'm not implying the OP is being elitist...he just seems comfy in the car after all these years in Houston).
my college roomates jewish grandmother used to call it moving africans rapidly thru atlanta.

Old 07-29-2017, 05:22 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,568,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Oh, I was thinking Kendall, thank you.

I don't know who lives in Kendall other than BU/Simmons, etc students. Maybe they don't anymore.
did you mean kenmore ?

Old 08-01-2017, 06:36 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,320,505 times
I'm suprised so many people are saying no car is needed. Call me old fashioned but as a single man ya gotta have a car. But seriously if you are parents with children you really need a car.

Old 08-01-2017, 06:57 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,920,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
I'm suprised so many people are saying no car is needed. Call me old fashioned but as a single man ya gotta have a car. But seriously if you are parents with children you really need a car.
Based on where he works he definitely needs a car. It isn't T accessible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston