Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 02:07 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,304,554 times

Advertisements

Oh. Missed that part. Heh. That's tough then. If i were single i probably wouldn't want to be living in braintree
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 02:37 PM

23,132 posts, read 18,288,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
Oh. Missed that part. Heh. That's tough then. If i were single i probably wouldn't want to be living in braintree
Even though many do and seem to be just fine.

Never married: 28.4%
Now married: 56.1%
Separated: 1.1%
Widowed: 7.9%
Divorced: 6.6%

Old 07-27-2017, 03:18 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,323,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Married people have, for the most part, moved out to the suburbs.
Oh, there are quite a few of them left here in Somerville.

Old 07-27-2017, 03:54 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,671,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
Oh, there are quite a few of them left here in Somerville.
For how long? As rents keep rising it will push married couples out faster than a bunch of 20 somethings willing to live with 4 roommates.

Old 07-27-2017, 05:20 PM

19 posts, read 22,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yeah, its one of the things that really holds Houston back from being world class. If you're driving, you don't want to be north of Quincy.
Last month I came to check out the place and stayed in Back Bay for a while. I dove to my company between 7:30 and 8 in the morning and it took me around 30 minutes.

I'm a little perplexed about whether yall think 30 minutes is too much or did I just get lucky on a Wednesday. 30 minutes is considered basically nothing around here.

Old 07-27-2017, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston_Burbs View Post
I would push for a COL adjustment. I work for a national company and our pay scales vary by market. You are essentially taking a pay cut to move.
I know, it kinda sucks but the way Oil & Gas market has turned out lately, there aren't too many options. When I tried to negotiate, they are telling me that this pay is well over what people get paid in Boston area. It just seems like overall pay levels are lower in Boston and cost of living is tremendously high.

Old 07-27-2017, 05:27 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,671,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas27 View Post
Last month I came to check out the place and stayed in Back Bay for a while. I dove to my company between 7:30 and 8 in the morning and it took me around 30 minutes.

I'm a little perplexed about whether yall think 30 minutes is too much or did I just get lucky on a Wednesday. 30 minutes is considered basically nothing around here.
I would say you got lucky. It shouldn't take more than an hour each way though.

Old 07-27-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Alright.

I'll break it down with generalizations, but I think everyone on this thread will agree they're fairly accurate.

Seaport- Huge development area on the Boston harbor with loads of upscale restaurants and bars. Studios start around $2300, with 1 BR going for $3000+. This area has a ton of young, affluent, single folks between 27-40. If you want waterfront drinks, check out Envoy rooftop or Legals Harborside rooftop. A good steak? Check out Ocean Prime. A good beer? Check out city tap. Waterfront eats? The Barking Crab. A Boston sports bar? Check out Tony C's. Head in a few blocks from the water, and Fort Point offers some additional options like Row 34, Drink, etc. If you can swing it, and don't necessarily want to go too far from the norm, this is your best bet. It's a biopharama hub, but also hosts the likea of GE (headquarters being built now), Redhat, and other tech driven companies.

Southie- Huge party area with young professionals everywhere. Stick close to broadway, where all of the bars and restaraunts are. Southie is a bit younger than Seaport, but you'll find plenty of folks between 30-35. Aesthetically, it's more of a traditional Boston neighborhood, with a mix of old and new homes. There are a fair amount of folks from out of state, but it's a very specific group. You'll see a lot of vineyard vines and drugs.

Back Bay- Mix of young professionals, foreign money, the occasional single lawyer and doctor. It's a fabulous area, but it's not going to provide a lot of night life.. Plenty of great eats, dive bars, and you can always rely on Newbury st. and Boylston st. It's definitely more active, so if you like to bike/run/sail, you have great access to the Charles river.

South End- Similar to back bay, but a bit less commercial. Great food, some good bars, and the brownstone neighborhoods are beautiful. You'll notice a larger gay population in the area, which in my experience often offers some perks. The Beehive does an excellent jazz music brunch, the butcher shop is an excellent charcuterie and wine joint, B&G oysters has a great raw bar with a nice back patio.. It's that kind of feel.

North End- Old Italian neighborhoods with 100+ Italian restaurants still standing around the Hanover st. area. Towards the Rose Fitzgerald park, there are some cool places to check out, and that area has been built up quite a bit with newer waterfront apartments. It's quite compact, and for the money, i'd look the other parts of Boston. That said, there's not a better place to explore and get a glass of wine or a cannoli.

Cambridge- There are a lot of neighborhoods within Cambridge, but it's generally a bit more outside the bell curve. Huge intellectual/artist population, a lot of foreign students, and it's largely driven by MIT/Harvard/and the Kendall Square tech parks. Outside of the bay area, you won't find a place more densely populated with tech companies. It's a fantastic city, and I've never met anyone who doesn't love it, but coming from Houston..Might be a bit of a culture shock. I'd also mention that the food scene is arguably better than Boston. Poke around Harvard Square, Central Square, the Charles River front. I'd also mention that, if you like craft beer, you can't go wrong with bars like Lord Hobo and Meadhall.

Allston- A lot of the same qualities as Cambridge + live music, but it's not nearly as nice. Actually, it's a dump. Great place to mix in some drinks and see some garage bands. It's very similar to deep ellum in Dallas, but again, not as nice.

I'm missing a bunch more, but the aforementioned neighborhoods are likey where you will end up if you want to live in the city. Coming from Midtown Houston, where i've spent a lot of time, everything is going to be a bit more hectic. More bars, more restaurants, more people in a much tighter space. That said, I'd recommend Seaport over the others for sure.
Thank you for your detailed breakdown and I appreciate your time. Your review of Cambridge sounds really great.

Seaport also sounds very good but for no reason I could pay 3000+ to live in a 1 br apartment. I was used to 13-1400s and while talking to colleagues we complain about growing rents in Houston. Probably I can do 23-2500 maximum, that too with a heavy heart.

Not trying to save a lot of money but it hardly makes sense for me. I would rather spend it in other ways.

Old 07-27-2017, 05:30 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,759,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
I would say you got lucky. It shouldn't take more than an hour each way though.

Yeah, I was thinking an hour during rush hour.

Old 07-27-2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
OP, please reconsider your opinion about public transit. Boston public transit is quite effective and safe, if not quite up to Tokyo, Munich, or S. Korean standards. Your best bet if you want to live and work in the city (in which I include Braintree and Cambridge) is to do most of your daily travel by T and/or commuter rail. Finding parking is totally different than in Texas. The first thing people ask here if they are planning to go somewhere in the city by car, is "where can I park, how much will parking cost?", etc. Most of the time a car is more of a hassle than a convenience.

You want to live in a Northern, dense, old-style city, so accept it for what it is and live like the locals do.

Thank you, I will try to do that as soon as I can. It just seems very far fetched to imagine public travel for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston