Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 12:36 PM

11,998 posts, read 9,074,854 times

Advertisements

Like who's the best team in the NFL right now, it's arguable, but the Patriots are certainly among the top teams. Similarly, I don't think this is something that can be easily determined, but with two world-class universities (as well as other very good ones), hoards of companies here that rely on highly educated employees, and a top-ranked state public education system, Boston/Cambridge metro and MA as a state, are certainly among the tops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2018, 02:04 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,549,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
the difference between being smart and being intelligent is that smart people use their intelligence.
Smart people use intelligent people.

Old 01-20-2018, 06:07 AM

294 posts, read 262,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
I've visited Washington D.C., Boston, and New York over the last three years.

I think Boston takes the cake for most intellectual city, followed by D.C. and New York. I know Philadelphia deserves to be mentioned, but I haven't been there yet; I'm focusing only on the cities I've visited.

Some people have told me they find New York to be as intellectually stimulating as Boston, if not more. I disagree.

Boston doesn't really have a Statue of Liberty, Times Square, or other hotspot that people are willing to go there in droves to see.

If you're going to Boston, chances are you're traveling there to learn something -- and I did plenty of that on the Freedom Trail and in neighboring Cambridge and Charlestown.

I can see how Boston holds little appeal for many people who aren't history lovers like I am. Hardly any of my co-workers/relatives have been there, but most have visited NYC.

I loved D.C. almost as much as I did Boston. I would visit both again in the future, but I can't say the same for the Big Apple.

I'm not saying New York has nothing to offer in the way of history. I lost count of the many historic places we visited there, including Fraunces Tavern, a slew of museums, and The Grange.

Still, for whatever reason, I left Boston feeling as though I learned more there.

Do you feel that Boston values and promotes education more than any other city in the U.S. does? If not, who beats it?
LMBO....in a word NO. Boston is the rudest and most racist elitist city in the country. If I had to guess I would say Minneapolis, Cedar Rapids, or San Fran.

Old 01-20-2018, 05:35 PM

2,917 posts, read 5,134,252 times
I just quickly browsed after having read these responses over time, just to make sure that Seattle wasn't omitted.

It seems to be

Doesn't "The Emerald City" often top most lists of most well-read or bookish cities? Doesn't that count partly as intellectualism?

Maybe because there are no Ivy League institutions in that area has people out east forgetting about them. Seattle now boasts of professionals from around the world living and working there, in world-class companies, especially in the past 10-20 years. Perhaps in the 60s and 70s, Seattle couldn't boast of this whereas Boston, in general, always seemed intellectual to many -- but Seattle has rapidly closed the gap, and maybe exceeded Boston in some facets?

Some could argue that it's not Seattle natives who make the city intellectual, but all of the transplants from around the world (yes, as some poster earlier seemed to suggest about Boston).

Old 01-20-2018, 07:19 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,220,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by such sweet thunder View Post
This feels like a reach.

The Boston area has 7 universities ranked in the top forty nation-wide by US News and the World Report, who controversy aside, seem to be the standard bearer for this type of thing.

Harvard, 2
MIT, 7
Tufts, 27
BC, 31
Brandeis, 34
BU, 39
Northeastern, 39

That's an absurd collection of schools, the best in the world, and anomaly for a city Boston's size.
...especially since only the bottom two are actually IN Boston.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:29 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,656,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Not true ... Large portions of Harvard, including the Business School, Medical School and School of Public Health, are in Boston, not Cambridge. BC also has some of its campus in Boston.

Of course, none of this says anything about intellectualism. Let's just say that Boston is on the low end of anti-intellectualism in an incredibly anti-intellectual country.

MAGA y'all

Old 01-23-2018, 01:06 AM

8,779 posts, read 6,705,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Cambridge is basically inner Boston.

Old 02-26-2018, 05:41 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,656,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Cambridge is basically inner Boston.
Cambridge is basically Cambridge.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:12 PM

2,031 posts, read 1,081,803 times
Boston is basically Cambridge on steroids.

Old 02-26-2018, 10:23 PM

349 posts, read 317,904 times
Basically is Boston Cambridge
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston