Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2017, 02:29 PM

2,079 posts, read 1,124,455 times

Advertisements

Boston is the most intellectual city in Massachussets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 02:47 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,285,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
They would switch long-standing providers of services to the district to firms that were owned by big shot Republicans who did not have the same experience. This was all done out in the open. It's just that no one really cared or bothered to attend the meetings.

It could have happened with Democrats in charge, but it didn't.

Certainly Dems are prone to corruption as well. 4 of the last 7 Illinois governors went to prison. Both Ds and Rs.
no bidding?

Old 09-22-2017, 06:21 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,920,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
More ego stroking. Someone has to knock it down. This board can be incredibly smug. Makes the city look bad.
Maybe it makes the city look bad if you've got some sort of huge chip on your shoulder. Certainly it isn't good to be smug or arrogant, but I'd rather live somewhere where people are a little too proud of liking intellectual things instead of having to be ashamed.

Quote:
Sorry to offend your sensibilities.
It takes a lot more to "offend my sensibilities". Either everywhere is exactly the same amount of intellectual or somewhere is the most intellectual. I know from experience that the level of intellectualism varies from place to place, so I think it's a reasonable question.

If the question were "is Boston the smugly elitist city in America?" or "does Boston think it's smarter than it really is?" I might agree with that, too. Not because everyone here is a smug elitist, but because there are I've run into more here than the other places I've lived. There certainly are people here who genuinely think anything south of the Mason-Dixon line is populated entirely with stupid inbred racists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Then why do you find it so important to keep coming back to this thread to answer in the negative? You seem to have a pretty strong opinion that it's pretty unintellectual. You can't both think it's a meaningless question and answer that it's not a dozen times.

I've only lived six places and Boston is the most intellectual of those. Baton Rouge was the least intellectual. It's not night and day-- there are people in Baton Rouge that are a lot more curious than people in Boston. to some degree those people leave Baton Rouge when they can and go somewhere like Boston (or D.C. or NYC). Not all of them, but enough that it makes a difference.
Quote:
Also never said it's "unintellectual." That's your word, not mine. The whole premise is just a circle jerk.
Quote:
Bostonians are not intellectual. They are obsessed with accreditation and educational keeping up with the joneses. They encourage falling in line and doing what everyone thinks you should do. Intellectual? No. Creative? No. Status seeking? Yes.

Honestly, I respect people outside of the Cambridge/Boston education elite much more than those in it (I am in it, for the record). Thank God it's a minority of people.
Merriam Webster defines unintellectual as "not intellectual", so I think you may be splitting hairs.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:13 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Maybe it makes the city look bad if you've got some sort of huge chip on your shoulder. Certainly it isn't good to be smug or arrogant, but I'd rather live somewhere where people are a little too proud of liking intellectual things instead of having to be ashamed.

It takes a lot more to "offend my sensibilities". Either everywhere is exactly the same amount of intellectual or somewhere is the most intellectual. I know from experience that the level of intellectualism varies from place to place, so I think it's a reasonable question.

If the question were "is Boston the smugly elitist city in America?" or "does Boston think it's smarter than it really is?" I might agree with that, too. Not because everyone here is a smug elitist, but because there are I've run into more here than the other places I've lived. There certainly are people here who genuinely think anything south of the Mason-Dixon line is populated entirely with stupid inbred racists.

Merriam Webster defines unintellectual as "not intellectual", so I think you may be splitting hairs.
Lol okey dokey

I actually do think there's a difference between saying someone is not athletic vs unathletic for example. One sounds average, the other sounds downright clumsy.

Old 09-28-2017, 08:21 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,668,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
Do you feel that Boston values and promotes education more than any other city in the U.S. does? If not, who beats it?
That's a very low bar IMHO. So, I wouldn't venture a guess at who is more edjumacated. That's like asking "Which American city has the best manhole covers?"

Old 09-30-2017, 11:38 PM

16 posts, read 17,376 times
And" I went to Latin School", who cares. The sense entitlement and arrogance is brain damaging. IQ is a potential, the productivity and outcomes questionable.

Old 09-30-2017, 11:54 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,005,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOORGONG View Post
Boston is the most intellectual city in Massachussets.

Most racist maybe

Old 10-05-2017, 07:21 PM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 5 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 976,625 times
Boston is the most intellectual from a college/university/higher education perspective. Silicon Valley and NYC are also up there/rivals.

Old 10-05-2017, 07:33 PM

113 posts, read 104,194 times
The answer is no. New York takes the cake.

Old 10-05-2017, 07:37 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,621,789 times
Guess you have never heard of the Research Triangle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Research_Triangle

I have always thought of Boston as being a bit backward with their witch trial history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston