Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 05:16 PM

880 posts, read 818,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Then why does Boston have the reputation of being more racist than other cities.. especially East Coast cities? Why?

Again.. I've never been to Boston EVER. But everyone tells me the place is racist. White people included. Why is that? Why is no one telling me this about other cities?

Sorry.. if everyone is saying the same thing about a place, there must be some truth to it.
Its reputation comes from 'segregation', you have liberals living in lilly-white neighborhoods with BLM yard signs and bumper stickers. Boston public schools are probably the most segregated in the country, neighborhoods generally divided by race....

The liberals here are against racism, but don't want to live next door or have their own kids go to the same schools as "those people"

Old 09-02-2017, 08:42 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,319,953 times
liberals say they are against racism but if you don't have a degree or are working class they think you're the scum of the earth and want nothing to do with you. I think Boston is way more 'classist' if you will about things like jobs and education than they are about race. Maybe they LOOK racist in the eyes of many because there aren't many professional well to do black or hispanic people in boston so they aren't available to be friends with. If there were more black/hispanic drs/lawyers/ceo's/engineers etc in boston i guarantee whitey in Wellesley would be happy to put them on their friend list.

They say they empathize with people in neighborhoods like mattapan and roxbury but would they actually become FRIENDS with these people or want their kids to? No. That is boston in a nutshell. Lived here my whole life. conservative whites are the same way when it comes to this. They don't want to be around the poor and uneducated or even the middle class. It might be contagious to their children.

Old 09-02-2017, 08:58 PM

880 posts, read 818,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
liberals say they are against racism but if you don't have a degree or are working class they think you're the scum of the earth and want nothing to do with you. I think Boston is way more 'classist' if you will about things like jobs and education than they are about race. Maybe they LOOK racist in the eyes of many because there aren't many professional well to do black or hispanic people in boston so they aren't available to be friends with. If there were more black/hispanic drs/lawyers/ceo's/engineers etc in boston i guarantee whitey in Wellesley would be happy to put them on their friend list.

They say they empathize with people in neighborhoods like mattapan and roxbury but would they actually become FRIENDS with these people or want their kids to? No. That is boston in a nutshell. Lived here my whole life. conservative whites are the same way when it comes to this. They don't want to be around the poor and uneducated or even the middle class. It might be contagious to their children.

This makes sense now, I guess its 'inbred' during childhood that 'education is everything'. They grow up to believe un-educated (which in turn generally means 'poor') are not to be associated with for fear of being dragged down...

I guess thats why the first question you get asked when meeting ppl in Boston is 'which school did you go to/where do you work'

Old 09-03-2017, 06:13 AM

21,627 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:

Systemic racism. WHY are there not as many well to do black people in the Boston Area for its numbers ~350k,, as youd see in virtually every other east coast city, west coast city, Chicago, Houston, Denver...WHy does Boston punch ABOVE its weight for almost everything until it comes to black people? THAT is the crux of the racism, add to that our supremely white face in the the media, and many many many discrimination cases that make local as well as national headlines...and the perception of visitors of all races that individual white Boston area people are racist...and voila.

Despite how some people on this forum may feel, are we in agreement that it is a part of our reputation and a huge black-eye on the city?

Old 09-03-2017, 06:33 AM

837 posts, read 1,224,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
No, it wasn't the mayor who was responsible.
J.Anthony Lukas's Common Ground should be required reading for newcomers. The busing crisis unveiled the "townie" phenomenon in one particular neighborhood while bringing the whole racial divide to a head. In the book Lukas takes great pains to show the evolution of racism from colonial times and how it butted against the "townie" mentality.

Whether we like it or not it's part of our legacy as native Bostonians. Personally I've been chided more for my accent in other states, as well as the Red Sox, than I have for anything to do with race.

Old 09-03-2017, 08:40 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,319,953 times
They should better themselves then. Stop blaming their shortcomings white people. They have plenty of opportunities if not more than others in terms of grants, scholarships and diversity programs.

Old 09-03-2017, 09:22 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,691,273 times
Quote:
They should better themselves then. Stop blaming their shortcomings white people. They have plenty of opportunities if not more than others in terms of grants, scholarships and diversity programs.
Better themselves? This in itself is a good example of the "attitude," whether you consider it racist or classist.

Just think what would happen if nobody went into the trades or did work other than college-educated white-collar professional stuff. Good luck with having your cars repaired, your homes built or repaired, your roads and bridges made, your golf greens kept up, your shops and restaurants staffed, your store shelves stocked, your consumer foods trucked, on and on and on...do you any clue that the world depends on all kinds of workers?

Old 09-03-2017, 10:12 AM

23,560 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Better themselves? This in itself is a good example of the "attitude," whether you consider it racist or classist.

Just think what would happen if nobody went into the trades or did work other than college-educated white-collar professional stuff. Good luck with having your cars repaired, your homes built or repaired, your roads and bridges made, your golf greens kept up, your shops and restaurants staffed, your store shelves stocked, your consumer foods trucked, on and on and on...do you any clue that the world depends on all kinds of workers?
Who is this directed towards? Who here is telling anyone (blacks OR whites) that they shouldn't go into the trades???

Old 09-03-2017, 01:34 PM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Boston is probably racially segregated city I've ever lived in.
The list of cities that you have lived in must be pretty small.

I googled "most segregated cities in America" and Boston was not a city that made anyone's list. For example: https://www.google.com/amp/247wallst...ed-cities/amp/

Old 09-03-2017, 01:38 PM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xo_kizzy_xo View Post
J.Anthony Lukas's Common Ground should be required reading for newcomers. The busing crisis unveiled the "townie" phenomenon in one particular neighborhood while bringing the whole racial divide to a head. In the book Lukas takes great pains to show the evolution of racism from colonial times and how it butted against the "townie" mentality.

Whether we like it or not it's part of our legacy as native Bostonians. Personally I've been chided more for my accent in other states, as well as the Red Sox, than I have for anything to do with race.
When someone "chides" you about the Red Sox, tell them the Boston Braves were the fifth MLB team to integrate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston