Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 06:43 PM

11,756 posts, read 11,950,825 times

Advertisements

First time in Boston. We're only there Friday morning to Monday afternoon and trying to make the most of our time. Would you say that the Columbus Day parade is something to see, or something to avoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2017, 02:47 PM

596 posts, read 812,205 times
I didn't even know it existed, so...I don't find parades to be that interesting anyway.

Old 09-10-2017, 07:14 PM

2,912 posts, read 5,130,815 times
Haven't heard of it, either.

Maybe a trip to Plymouth would be fun. Check out the town's website for events.

And Walden Pond in Concord should be nice in fall.

Old 09-10-2017, 07:40 PM

596 posts, read 812,205 times
Depending on where you're from (it might not be interesting if you're from areas where it's possible to do this), apple picking is usually good that time of year. You'd need a car though--and probably want to have driven to Boston as opposed to flew so you can bring your bounty home.

Old 09-11-2017, 08:20 AM

11,046 posts, read 12,328,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaeger07 View Post
I didn't even know it existed, so...I don't find parades to be that interesting anyway.
If you've seen one, you've seen all of them.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:32 AM

8,394 posts, read 4,447,536 times
For such a short stay, I would recommend you stay in town and use public transportation for sites in Boston or fairly close by (such as Cambridge). If you are flying and do not have a car, it also makes financial sense. There is enough in the city to keep you occupied.

I would only venture outside of Boston on such a short trip if you were coming by car and staying somewhere outside the city.

Boston Attractions
Freedom Trail - Links mostly Colonial history key sites - would suggest you visit a few
Museum of Fine Arts/Stewart Gardner Museums - art museums located in the Fens area
Museum of Science
NE Aquarium
Fanueil Hall/Quincy Market
Newbury Street
North End
Harvard Square (Cambridge)
Public Garden/Boston Common
Prudential Center/Copley Place
Duck Boat or trolley city tour

Old 09-11-2017, 12:47 PM

11,756 posts, read 11,950,825 times
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions! I will plan around the parade route so as not to run into the handful of people who have heard about this parade.

We were originally planning a fall trip where we could have driven from home but my husband has a new job and couldn't get the time so a four day weekend it is.

Old 02-06-2018, 04:03 PM
mev

154 posts, read 294,059 times
We will be going to Boston the last week of June 2018. Me, hubby and two teen daughters. Where should we stay? Looking for a suite hotel or perhaps family style accommodations in quiet but central (no car) area.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:27 PM

2,439 posts, read 4,803,910 times
Quiet but central hotels might include the Boston Marriott Cambridge, the Royal Sonesta Boston (also in Cambridge), the Hyatt Regency Cambridge, and Charles Hotel (off Harvard Sq by the Anderson Bridge)--all on or near the Charles River in Cambridge, close to the sights but in quieter locations. Very expensive.

In Boston, the Midtown is a nice location, maybe quieter than many. Odd fish out of water--more like a 1960-era motor hotel on the freeway in Dallas than a city center hotel but it's cheap for Boston and adequate. Just up the street is a gaggle of big convention-style business hotels, a Marriott, Sheraton, Hilton and Westin. All very central and, considering they're within a self-enclosed shopping and office complex (Prudential Center), reasonably quiet. These are Back Bay. Then you have 'Downtown,' 'Waterfront' and 'Seaport'. Latter is a newer, developing commercial area, not really in the middle of things but not far. Maybe better deals there? I don't know. Downtown and Waterfront are in the middle of the middle where it can be very hectic by day and, depending on where you are, a bit dark and/or seedy/rowdy at night.

Residence Inn Boston Harbor, on the waterfront in Charlestown, could be good if you can get in there.

You'll find cheaper options like the Hampton Inn and Suites Boston Crosstown-- Really seedy area, junkies, opioid addicts-- don't consider those locations. You might try that other well known forum which is geared to tourism rather than relocation. Good luck!

Old 04-08-2018, 06:22 AM

14 posts, read 10,189 times
Post Ideas for a first time weekend in Boston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
First time in Boston. We're only there Friday morning to Monday afternoon and trying to make the most of our time. Would you say that the Columbus Day parade is something to see, or something to avoid?
I don't think the Columbus Day Parade is anything to see. If this is your first time here I would take Sat or Sun to walk the entire Freedom Trail. Pause for lunch in the North End and really connect with the different neighborhoods and history. Of course you should also take a duck boat tour of the city and stop by Fenway too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston