Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 08:31 AM

4 posts, read 4,183 times

Advertisements

I've never been to the Boston airport, much less the city but upon looking at my ticket, I have a 5hr window. I thought that could be a cool opportunity to check out immediate views near Logan's vicinity- is the Boston Commons nearby? Quincy Market? It'd be nice to stretch our legs for an hour or so before we cross the pond. Does anyone with much experience at this airport know if that's enough of a time window to do some quick sightseeing and still make it in time to go through international? Or should I call it safe and stay in the airport?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 08:40 AM

652 posts, read 744,969 times
This is more of a TripAdvisor question.

If you do have 5:30, that's probably enough to get out for an hour or so. Take the shuttle to the Blue Line and take the Blue Line to Aquarium station. Fanueil Hall (Quincy Market) is right there, as is City Hall Plaza, the Boston Public Market, the Holocaust memorial, etc. And plenty of establishments to grab a beverage.

So you don't betray yourself as a tourist right away, you should know it's the Boston Common (no S). Less direct to get to from the airport.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:42 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,800,298 times
You really only have 4 hrs max. If you take a taxi or Uber or Lyft out of the airport and back, you may be able to get 2.5 hrs of siteseeing into that window. Taking a quick walk through the Quincy Market area is probably possible and you can see the Fanueil Hall, Boston Public Market, Rose Kennedy Greenway as they are all clustered together. Watchout is at 6 pm on a weeknight, you need to plan extra time for traffic on the way back to airport.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:45 AM

15,736 posts, read 20,276,473 times
How much time do they recommend for international flights these days? I think I recall seeing 2 hrs?

Take the shuttle to the airport stop on the blue line, and get off at "Aquarium" about 2 stops away. Faneuil hall is about a block away from that stop. A lot to explore in that area and get a bite to eat. Just keep an eye on the clock for when it's time to head in.

A wed in OCt...it shouldn't be super packed so you should be able to get in and our fairly quickly. You will be commuting at rush time though, so the trains might be packed. The wildcard is waiting for the shuttle at the airport to go to/from the airport stop. Sometimes you are literally walk out to a shuttle, and other days you are waiting 15 mins. Luck of the draw really. A taxi/uber may buy you more time/comfort.

http://www.mbta.com/uploadedimages/S...p%201%20lg.jpg

Old 09-08-2017, 09:09 AM

4 posts, read 4,183 times
This has been incredibly helpful information. Thank you!

Old 09-08-2017, 09:17 AM

23,203 posts, read 18,348,782 times
As long as your bags are checked all the way through, I don't think anything more than 2 hours before departure is necessary. But I would at least plan on riding BACK to the airport on the Blue Line, taking a taxi or Uber FROM the airport shouldn't be an issue.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:40 AM

341 posts, read 300,758 times
By the way, the Boston Common and Public Gardens are a 10-15 minute walk from Quincy Market.

Old 09-08-2017, 12:45 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,579,535 times
I would stay in the airport if it were me. But I'm surprised this wasn't mentioned...

There's a water shuttle that goes from the airport to Rowe's Wharf. It's a pretty short ride (20 min?) but you can look it up. This gives you great views of the city as soon as you get on so the ride in is part of your 'fun' which it wouldn't be in a taxi or on the T. So better use of the short time.

Rowe's Wharf is very close to Quincy Market and lots of other things, including the Rose Kennedy Greenway. It's the heart of the city. You can take a short stroll and get back on for more views on the way back.

Probably not so much fun as it gets colder or if it's raining. And return is at night obviously. Like I said, I would not try to do it with that time allowed if it were me (but that's just me) but if the timings of the shuttle work then this would be my first choice. Oh and you would need to take a free shuttle that circles the airport - it stops at all terminals and at the pier for the water shuttle. And no road traffic worries.

Last edited by just_because; 09-08-2017 at 01:05 PM..

Old 09-08-2017, 01:01 PM

2,037 posts, read 1,086,535 times
I would try out a little visit. You have enough time for a leisurely stroll. I would take a walk downtown and take in the odd angled streets of old Boston. It would be interesting also from the comparison standpoint between Boston and London. To me, Boston has the closest feel to London and British cities in NA apart from Montreal. Boston's Georgian and derivative styles and Montreal for its Victorian and Edwardian input since the vocabulary was more English than American at that point in history. I would get out of the airport in that time frame.

Old 09-08-2017, 01:02 PM

3,675 posts, read 7,377,690 times
Flying Spirit and Norwegian I would stay put at the airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston