U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2008, 05:12 PM

29 posts, read 137,881 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to Roxbury. I have read various posts and have a really mixed response. What areas are safe in Roxbury, I am pretty sure that the whole neighborhood is not bad. Specifically the area south of Northeastern University and west of Mass Ave. Any info would be great, Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 11:40 AM

7,352 posts, read 9,717,974 times
Given a choice, most people would not choose to move to Roxbury--it's a hit-or-miss proposition. There are some better neighborhoods, but there are many areas of Boston which are safer.

Old 03-17-2008, 05:35 PM

93 posts, read 378,132 times
Re. Roxbury, I used to live on Worthington St in Roxbury, which is across the street from the Harvard School of Public Health. That was a nice area with a supermarket/restaurants/shops within walking distance. There didn't seem to be crime issues on my street or immediately adjacent streets, though if you went further into Roxbury, I think the risk of crime increases. From walking around local streets, it is pretty easy to get a sense for which streets are safe or not safe.

Old 03-17-2008, 08:25 PM

6,025 posts, read 14,426,114 times
Fort Hill is a very nice area of Roxbury, very artsy, nice views of the city, easy access downtown via the orange line at Roxbury Crossing or you could walk to Dudley Sq. and takes a bus to various other locations (Longwood Medical area, South End, Cambridge, etc). Dudley sq. is still kind of iffy, but w/ the addition of the police sub-station, it did get better at the actual station, and there's new construction happening all around there. I've heard condos/houses in the Fort Hill area were some of the nicest in Roxbury. you will, however, have to deal w/ the annoying Madison HS students.

I spent most of my childhood living in Egleston Sq, in the area bordered between Walnut Ave, Humboldt Ave, Seaver, and Townsend St. I remember this area being fairly safe and quiet, with the MAJOR exception of the areas right near Humboldt Ave, which, if I am remembering correctly, is still active w/ H-Block gang violence. but the last time I was in this area, there was new construction going up right in the square along Washington St. I can't remember if the area of the other side of Seaver, across from White Stadium, being particularly dangerous.

the only thing I could say is avoid the areas too close to Humboldt Ave and the big chunk of projects off of Seaver St across from the zoo. avoid being on the borderlines of Grove Hall and Dorchester, esp. near Columbia Rd and the "other" Washington St. I'd also avoid past Dudley Sq, heading towards Uphams Corner (I think there's been a few shootings up that way)

I felt FAR safer living in Eggie/Roxbury than I did living in Mattapan and certain part of Dorchester (note, this was in the mid-late 90's, and I moved from the area around 2001, so it may have changed somewhat, but hopefully for the better). but I still wouldn't go walking around Franklin Park Zoo/White Stadium late at night (that's just common sense)

Old 03-19-2008, 07:28 AM

Thanks to everyone with their recommendations. I found a place in JP that I am very happy with. I was really torn between Lower Roxbury and JP, but I have decided to go with JP.

Old 06-29-2008, 12:17 PM

696 posts, read 1,210,550 times
Hi there, I am considering moving to Roxbury. The address is around 22, Dunmore Street. Roxbury, MA. Can anyone provide some input into how that part of the town is and how easy/difficult it is to commute to Downtown and Harvard Campus. Thanks.

Ron

Old 06-30-2008, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronyusa View Post
Hi there, I am considering moving to Roxbury. The address is around 22, Dunmore Street. Roxbury, MA. Can anyone provide some input into how that part of the town is and how easy/difficult it is to commute to Downtown and Harvard Campus. Thanks.

Ron
I cannot really fill you in about the part of town, since I have only been there a couple of times. I can recommend someone who would know the area and could comment on it though. His name is Cole and he goes by the screen name 'Bostonian8' on city-data. He offers up quite a bit of information about areas and has lived in Boston for a while from what I understand.

I can fill you in on the transportation routes. I am not too sure the frequency of the 1 bus it seems to run pretty often but does have some delays, but I know that runs right to Harvard Square from Dudley Station. I have used that route several times before. It is not the most reliable line, but it does travel the length of Mass. Ave. Downtown is a bit tricker. The silverline would bring you right to downtown crossing taking Washington Street, but it is a bit of a walk (half mile). You can catch it at either Dudley or Melnea Cass Blvd.

I hope this helps and good luck with your housing search.

Old 06-30-2008, 03:22 PM

696 posts, read 1,210,550 times
Thanks a lot jronald. Your advice about transportation added to my hunch that even if it were to be a relatively safe neighborhood, the commute will require multiple transfers and lot of walk. I will be working full-time and going to school part-time, so I cannot afford that. Not to mention, even the person with the apartment told me that some of the stations around there can be a bit shady. I guess I will just pass on this one and look for another place with a better commute. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston