Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 08:38 AM

74 posts, read 113,952 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I moved to Quincy 4 months ago from Maryland, and I've since had significant issues with noise in the apartment(s) I've lived in.... I'm starting to wonder if "quiet" apartments just don't exist? Boston and the surrounding area seem to have a lot of older, converted house, hardwood floor-types of buildings which are terrible at insulating noise. In my last place, my neighbor would shout/scream and play loud music which was very audible through my floor.. it was an ongoing problem until I was able to move. I could hear his entire conversations through the hardwood floors too...

I just moved into a new 1-bedroom apartment in Quincy-Wollaston area... It's on the second (top) floor of an older, brick building with only 8 apartments. I thought: small building, top floor, it should be perfectly quiet. I asked the real estate agent who was showing it at an open house if it was quiet, and she ASSURED me that "yes", it was. I went to see the apartment several times, including in the late afternoon/early evening, and never heard any noise, so I signed a lease/paid the thousands of dollars, and it was all done.

Then... my downstairs neighbor came home... Non-stop banging/stomping noises, and I could hear everything, including her cell phone ringtone, her entire conversation, and everything thereafter. I hear her TV, what she's cooking for dinner, and any other noises that come about. It's a nightmare. Last night, I was awake until 12:30 am because of the noise. Even with earplugs in AND my fan running, I could hear everything like she was in my bedroom with me. I realized that there's ZERO insulation between the floors, and it echos terribly. It's hardwood floors.. She's not doing anything horrible, so I haven't said anything to her, but the BOOMING sounds are jarring and enough to wake me up. I feel like I made a mistake moving here. I work a difficult job and I get up at 6:00 am for work... I've been exhausted..

Do quiet apartments exist in the Quincy area? If so, how do I find them?? What criteria should I look for? Is it only those high-rise "luxury" buildings that are quiet? I know that concrete is probably the quietest, but there aren't many of those available except in the "luxury" buildings, which are extremely expensive.... I just don't know what to do. Should I just try to rent a guest house or "cottage?" I've seen a few listed on Craigslist. I don't mind apartments, but I can't tolerate hearing someone's every move like they're IN my apartment.... it's really a terrible feeling to have your personal space invaded like that 24/7....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 09:25 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,823,437 times
You trusted the real estate agent telling u the apt is quiet. Ha ha ha!

I bought my own place because of the exact issues - hearing my neighbor (LL) every morning and stomping noises whenever someone walks upstairs. Can't tell someone to stop doing routine things just because you hear them, so I just moved.

Choose a top floor end unit and hope for the best.

Old 12-20-2017, 09:45 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,640,383 times
That's city life. You need to move out of Quincy to a more suburban area with some trees. Trees are nature's acoustic panels for absorbing road and building vibration.

Old 12-20-2017, 10:01 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,116,611 times
I constantly hear my neighbor walking upstairs, muffled conversations, etc. Even worse is the car stereo noise and loud mufflers. There is also a bus stop in front of my house, so I can hear that rif raf. Oh, and airplanes..........
is the city after-all

Old 12-20-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmyk72 View Post
You trusted the real estate agent telling u the apt is quiet. Ha ha ha!

I bought my own place because of the exact issues - hearing my neighbor (LL) every morning and stomping noises whenever someone walks upstairs. Can't tell someone to stop doing routine things just because you hear them, so I just moved.

Choose a top floor end unit and hope for the best.
Yes, I trusted a real estate agent.. she's friends with the landlords, so I thought I could trust her. Oh well. Shame on me. I wish I could afford to buy my own place, but I just moved here and I'm waiting for my husband to move this summer (we own a house in Maryland, and we need to sell it).. So, I have to settle for an apartment for now.

Old 12-20-2017, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
That's city life. You need to move out of Quincy to a more suburban area with some trees. Trees are nature's acoustic panels for absorbing road and building vibration.

I understand that I'm in a city, and some noise is to be expected.. But... I've ended up in apartments where I can hear literally everything that goes on around me in the building. That can't be normal. I lived in downtown Silver Spring in a concrete building on the third floor, and heard nothing, except the cabinets banging... I think it's a construction issue, not a "city issue."

Old 12-20-2017, 10:59 AM
miu

17,767 posts, read 40,158,197 times
Before you sign any lease, go hang out outside the building to see what the other tenants are like. Are they young or old? Are their families with children? Any busy restaurants or bars nearby? And at night, what sort of cars are parked on the street? If the cars are all ghettoed out with aftermarket exhausts and blingy tail lights, then it's going to be noisy at night.

Years ago, one of my friends made the huge mistake of buying a condo on Moody St. in Waltham. They had really only looked at it during the daytime... and at night it was much noisier than they anticipated.

And I would say Asian and Jewish tenants tend to be on the quieter side. And in my experience, blacks and Hispanics are noisier with their parties. And the same goes for college students living off campus. But yeah, take the time to pass through the different neighborhoods at night, when everyone is home from work and school.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:00 AM
miu

And a top floor apartment is going to be quieter than one on a lower floor. The downside would be climbing up the stairs.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:50 AM

92 posts, read 58,108 times
Realtors will never tell the truth no matter how "nice" they seem. I've rented 4 places in Boston, the best thing you can do is simply ring the doorbell and, as politely as possible, ask the tenant(s) of their opinion on the building. Yes, many will not answer the door or tell you off nicely, but you would be surprised at how many will be truthful and helpful. Bring a friend to cheer you on and stand in background

I had a woman tell me about a basketball court in the back that I didn't notice and another lady told me they had a roach and rat infestation that the landlord does nothing about... constant mold problems in common areas, etc... you just never know.

If I were planning to buy a condo I would write a short and sweet letter with a self addressed prepaid envelope.

Old 12-20-2017, 12:06 PM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean900 View Post
Realtors will never tell the truth no matter how "nice" they seem. I've rented 4 places in Boston, the best thing you can do is simply ring the doorbell and, as politely as possible, ask the tenant(s) of their opinion on the building. Yes, many will not answer the door or tell you off nicely, but you would be surprised at how many will be truthful and helpful. Bring a friend to cheer you on and stand in background

I had a woman tell me about a basketball court in the back that I didn't notice and another lady told me they had a roach and rat infestation that the landlord does nothing about... constant mold problems in common areas, etc... you just never know.
I wouldn't recommend bother people by ringing their doorbells. But again, while being in the area in the late afternoon/early evening, I might try to strike up a short and polite conversation with any tenant that passing through the entranceway to the building.
Quote:
If I were planning to buy a condo I would write a short and sweet letter with a self addressed prepaid envelope.
That's no guarantee that you will get a response mailed back to you.

Secondly, what condo owner will disparage the building they are currently living in? Wouldn't dissuading others from buying other units in their building only lower the value of theirs and make it more difficult to sell and get out in the future?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston