Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 12:09 AM

2,190 posts, read 2,230,657 times

Advertisements

Ahh ok. I might have been mistaken.

Still the south coast of mass is very Portuguese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2018, 04:31 AM

2,941 posts, read 5,182,436 times
A friend who taught high school French on the North Shore told me Salem, MA, had a French-Canaden section called The Point. It's been Hispanic for years, I think.

Not in Massachusetts, but didn't Woonsocket, RI and Manchester, NH, have French-Canaden areas? Maybe into the 80s or even 90s?

Not sure if they were very big in Portland or southern Maine, but maybe way up in Lewiston or Bangor? They still love summers in Old Orchard Beach and Ogunquit?

Old 01-28-2018, 04:57 AM

10,007 posts, read 15,650,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
A friend who taught high school French on the North Shore told me Salem, MA, had a French-Canaden section called The Point. It's been Hispanic for years, I think.

Not in Massachusetts, but didn't Woonsocket, RI and Manchester, NH, have French-Canaden areas? Maybe into the 80s or even 90s?

Not sure if they were very big in Portland or southern Maine, but maybe way up in Lewiston or Bangor? They still love summers in Old Orchard Beach and Ogunquit?
Yes, you are right about Woonsocket and Manchester.

Old 01-28-2018, 08:08 AM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
As a Portugee myself, the areas I recall that had many Portuguese in the 60's and 70's were the Somerville, Cambridge area and the North Shore as well as the south coast are around Fall River, New Bedford, Dartmouth, Wareham, Provincetown. Today there is still a strong Portuguese influence in those areas but you are talking about 2nd, 3rd, 4th generation who are Portuguese in heritage only - my kids are 2nd generation Portuguese American and they know a few words and have a Portuguese last name.

You'll see plenty of Brazilian influence in Framingham, Marlboro, Hudson.

Old 01-28-2018, 08:26 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times
Many of the Portuguese came from the Azores and Cape Verde, the latter being a former African colony. You will sometimes find black people in Massachusetts with Portuguese surnames.

Old 01-28-2018, 09:03 AM

6,301 posts, read 9,638,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
Portuguese, many in Gloucester and Hudson, MA.
French Canadians would be Lowell, Fitchburg.
Hudson Portuguese is Azorean and Brazilian. A favorite of mine Old School House Pub in Hudson is a hidden gem for Azorean style food.

French Canadian, I forgot Plymouth. Many French Canadian settlers went there.

Outside Massachusetts, all of New Hampshire and the Acadian region in Northern Maine is very French.

Old 01-28-2018, 10:06 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,909,968 times
The Portuguese community is especially strong in SE Massachusetts, and in Rhode Island. There's also a definite Cape Verdean population, too. The French influence is a bit stronger in northern NE (VT, NH, ME), in communities near the Canadian border, and in old mill towns..

Old 01-28-2018, 12:12 PM

23,569 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:

Basically wherever the mills were, French Canadians settled. Some of the more famous ones were Woonsocket, RI; Fitchburg, MA; Manchester, NH; Lewiston and Biddeford, ME.

OOB is still mobbed every summer by vacationers from Quebec, not sure about Ogunquit.

Old 01-28-2018, 12:17 PM

23,569 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Many of the Portuguese came from the Azores and Cape Verde, the latter being a former African colony. You will sometimes find black people in Massachusetts with Portuguese surnames.
Those blacks with Portuguese surnames would be Cape Verdean. Not the same thing as Portuguese. Their language is related but not the same. Azoreans often fall under the Portuguese umbrella, but don't always consider themselves as such and even fewer Portuguese (from Portugal) do.

Old 02-07-2018, 02:33 PM

254 posts, read 256,861 times
Quote:

My French Canadian family comes from Lewiston. I think there are still many people with French Canadian heritage in the Lewiston area as well as southern Maine. Kennebunkport/Wells/Ogunquit attract many French Canadians in the summer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston