Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 09:21 PM

2,912 posts, read 5,130,815 times

Advertisements

The Lechmere green line stop should be considered, though someone earlier advised to not look there.

It's not fancy at all, yet safe. Lots of shops, pubs and restaurants on Cambridge Street, plus even a small branch library as well as the newish police headquarters.

I find a very working class look to it but young professionals certainly live there. A few blocks from the stop in another direction, there are several newer upscale apartments balancing the working class feel further out.

It's only a 10-12 minute walk or less to the Lechmere green line stop from much of the neighborhood.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2018, 10:33 AM

11,046 posts, read 12,328,839 times
Look Brighton or Allston.

Old 01-29-2018, 11:08 AM

2,190 posts, read 2,213,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
The Lechmere green line stop should be considered, though someone earlier advised to not look there.

It's not fancy at all, yet safe. Lots of shops, pubs and restaurants on Cambridge Street, plus even a small branch library as well as the newish police headquarters.

I find a very working class look to it but young professionals certainly live there. A few blocks from the stop in another direction, there are several newer upscale apartments balancing the working class feel further out.

It's only a 10-12 minute walk or less to the Lechmere green line stop from much of the neighborhood.
TBH I don't think working class people can afford Cambridge anymore, unless they already own in the area. Even East Cambridge.

One thing you have to worry about Leachmere is the closing of it during the GLX work. I'm not sure when that will start but it'll last over a year when it does.

Old 01-29-2018, 01:44 PM

10 posts, read 12,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Look Brighton or Allston.

Thanks for the help guys.

You put these neighborhoods over Somerville, is it because of lower prices or some other reason? Somerville seems closer to downtown and next door to Cambridge + 15 min drive to work and with a superior rail.

I'm finding places in brighton - but it just seems so far. Not too familiar with brighton though, is it a superior area?

Old 01-29-2018, 02:15 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,213,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Adventure- View Post

You put these neighborhoods over Somerville, is it because of lower prices or some other reason? Somerville seems closer to downtown and next door to Cambridge + 15 min drive to work and with a superior rail.

I'm finding places in brighton - but it just seems so far. Not too familiar with brighton though, is it a superior area?
I'd call Somerville more lively then Brighton. Brighton is less dense then most of Somerville, more suburban in a way.

All depends on what you want.

Old 01-29-2018, 03:09 PM

4,548 posts, read 4,796,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
As far as Southie goes it hasn't been rough since the 80s, and is pretty gentrified. I'd still look at it. Probably the only crime you'd fall victim too would be some vehicle molestation if you decide to steal a space saver. Parking in Southie can be an issue at times, although yymv.

I'd describe Southie as being full of 20 and 30 something former frat bros and sorority who now work at decent paying jobs downtown and in the Seaport. Not rough out all, unless you venture into the projects (and the Southie ones aren't the worst)
Gotta watch out for those stay at home mom's pushing strollers!

Old 01-30-2018, 06:26 AM

11,046 posts, read 12,328,839 times
Quote:

I have lived in Brighton for a bit over 5 years (Brighton Center/Oak Square area). I work at Harvard Square. There is a bus that goes right there down Market St. It actually goes to Somerville too. Another bus a couple blocks away goes directly to Central Square. Another bus also a couple blocks away goes to Kenmore (green line connection). The thing to consider about rail is that it typically isn't actually very good. Working at Harvard Sq, I constantly here stories about the red line, which I count myself fortunate not to commute on. Every day there is an issue. Personally, I walk the 3 miles from Brighton to Cambridge. As for closer to downtown? That depends what part of Somerville you are in. I am closer to downtown than the "cool parts" of Somerville.

Personally, I'm also just not a huge fan of the Somerville scene. I don't really go out to bars often, I don't really care about foodie things, I get kinda tired of the yuppie stuff. It's not bad though, I considered moving to Inman Square a couple years ago, but ultimately Brighton won out again. I like Brighton because it maintains a low profile. But to answer another question, in my area of Brighton, it's certainly cheaper than the "Cool" parts of Somerville.

Old 01-31-2018, 10:57 PM

652 posts, read 743,681 times
You didn’t mention Brighton, there’s some more professional sections (Brighton Center/Oak Square).

A lot of the super low prices posted on Craigslist are “honey traps” to get you in touch with the realtor. The realtor will then tell you “that one’s gone but there’s a similar one down the street” and so the slippery slope begins.

Old 02-01-2018, 12:31 AM

10 posts, read 12,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rethcir View Post
You didn’t mention Brighton, there’s some more professional sections (Brighton Center/Oak Square).

A lot of the super low prices posted on Craigslist are “honey traps” to get you in touch with the realtor. The realtor will then tell you “that one’s gone but there’s a similar one down the street” and so the slippery slope begins.
Yeah I've been running into a lot of nonsense on craigslist and as of now my experience has been either:

People want too much for rent, they arnt willing to pay any of their own.

People trying to scam with no pics, no links ect.

The place is too far away from downtown

If it's actually a good deal in a good location it's gone faster than I can get to it.

I'm not even close to giving up yet, but it looks like this isn't gonna be easy!

Old 02-01-2018, 09:13 PM

649 posts, read 809,446 times
Quote:
Yeah I've been running into a lot of nonsense on craigslist and as of now my experience has been either:

People want too much for rent, they arnt willing to pay any of their own.

People trying to scam with no pics, no links ect.

The place is too far away from downtown

If it's actually a good deal in a good location it's gone faster than I can get to it.

I'm not even close to giving up yet, but it looks like this isn't gonna be easy!
Classic Boston Craigslist move is to tell you it is near some T stop you want and then map says it is a full town away. You call ALOT of ads just to find out the three family "near harvard square" is in Malden. If it sounds reasonable try to see it immediately. Also things will rent immediately so when you go look you take your checkbook. Sometimes at a showing it can come down to who fillls out an application faster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston