Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2018, 05:21 AM

513 posts, read 646,388 times

Advertisements

For a great lobster roll, I would suggest Neptune Oyster in the North End and Eventide in the Fenway. I am not a huge fan of Boston Cream Pie, but you can find some in the bakeries in the North End, which are obligatory stops if you find yourself there (Mike's, Modern, Bova's Maria's). In addition, Flour is rumored to make a great BCP and is a great place to stop for lunch and treats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2018, 08:44 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,472,603 times
anyone recommend which hilton hotel to stay at?

Old 03-04-2018, 08:56 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,911,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
anyone recommend which hilton hotel to stay at?
Not in love with the Hilton properties in town. But, I'd go with the Hilton Back Bay. You can walk to Boylston/Newburyport st. very easily which is nice. You're also right down the road from Copley Plaza.. some very very nice architecture that way, and definitely worth a few stops in the hotels around there.

Old 03-04-2018, 09:59 PM

2,190 posts, read 2,231,152 times
I'd go with the Ames Boston Hotel (owned by Hilton). Hilton back bay would be a decent choice too, as would the Hilton Downtown/Fanuiel Hall spot. Although the area around the downtown hotel feels dead on the weekends.

The Double-tree is centrally located, near lots of entertainment in the theater district if you're into that. The doubletree is in a less safe feeling at night though interesting neighborhood. It's not the hood, but it wouldn't be my first choice unless you want to walk to clubs.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:25 AM

2,941 posts, read 5,183,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alidmc View Post
For a great lobster roll, I would suggest Neptune Oyster in the North End and Eventide in the Fenway. I am not a huge fan of Boston Cream Pie, but you can find some in the bakeries in the North End, which are obligatory stops if you find yourself there (Mike's, Modern, Bova's Maria's). In addition, Flour is rumored to make a great BCP and is a great place to stop for lunch and treats.
Yes, the Flour Bakery Cafe shops have a good Boston Cream Pie, about $6 per slice, sliced from a bar shape, not the usual pie slice.

Found out after many years that it's cake layer is brushed with an espresso or something like that, and I don't like coffee, thus won't buy it anymore, but would eagerly recommend it.

Old 03-05-2018, 09:38 AM

2,941 posts, read 5,183,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Ahem. Pizza in Boston is fantastic. But the countertop joints do not stack up to NYC in quality, nevermind in volume.

Some spots with excellent pie:
Area Four- South End
Brewers Fork- Charlestown
Picco- South End
Pastoral- Fort Point
Posto- Davis Square
The Salty Pig- Back Bay

If you want the classic, hit the original Pizzeria Regina in the North End.

As for the trip in it's entirety- Hit Quincy Market for lunch on the weekend. Usually a lot of foot traffic, street performers etc. It's a must if you've never been. Take a stroll between Charles St. through the common/public garden over down Newbury St. Great walk, one that anyone would appreciate.. Might be the most beautiful consolidation of urban architecture as it ultimately stretches a few miles. Ton of great shopping, cafe's, etc. on Newbury st. Of course, you have the obligatory dinner in the North End. Don't listen to anyone reccomendations- Simply walk around between Hanover and Salem and pick the one that looks like the experience you desire. There are like 100+ italian restaraunts within 6 blocks.

On one of the days, crossover and check out Cambridge/Somerville via the red line. Harvard Square is cool, and you can float between the commercial area and the campus very easily. If you want to try my favorite brunch in New England, hit Alden & Harlow. Might be worth hopping off the red line and starting in Central Square. Cool area, and I like checking out all of the weird and eclectic side neighboroods. If you're a beer fan, stop in at a local brewery- I'd reccomend Lamplighter. Once you've walked over and you're done in Harvard, you can head another stop on the red line and walk around Davis Square. It serves as a mix between young proffessional neighborhood, starving musician neighborhood, and Tufts University downtown. Five Horse Tavern, The Saloon, Foundry, Red Bones, Painted Burro.. All good bars and restaraunts. Between Davis and Union Square, there are a number of intrictate restaraunts, theatres, and venues to check out.

Most importantly, for a mic-drop seafood dinner, make reservations at Row 34. Ridiculously good. And if you like beer, you'll be in heaven. They have an excellent local draft list at all times that includes Trillium, one of the highest rated breweries in North America. It's in kind of a new, nondescript area called Fort Point. It's inland from Seaport and differes in style from the rest of the city. There's also Drink, which has been sighted as one of the best cocktail bars in the US. You walk down, a mixologist asks what kind of tastes you prefer, and they spin up something incredible. Before or after dinner, hit some of the rooftop bars and restaraunts in Seaport.. The Envoy, Whiskey Preist, Legal Harborside Rooftop. If there are any shows in town, check out the Pavilion in Seaport. It's a harbor side concert venue right down the road in Seaport.
Good write-up.

Pizza: Don't forget about Otto, three locations in the area. It's from Maine so somewhat local. I like the Coolidge Corner spot, though a bit crowded. One local radio talk host claims it's the best pizza in our area. I do like it and a cousin near Portland, Maine, recommended it me.

I still love Regina; don't get a slice if it has to be reheated, just wait for your own fresh pie. Even a host at their North End spot advised not settling for their slices, and to just get a fresh pie experience. Believe it or not, I have encountered two people over the years who hated our Pizzeria Regina. They will have a wait of almost an hour, standing in line outside, in the summer at times.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:47 AM

2,722 posts, read 6,109,233 times
I'll add the Boston Calling Music festival is held Memorial Day weekend (5/25-5/27) at the Harvard Athletic Complex.

Home - Boston Calling Music Festival - May 25, 26, & 27, 2018 – Harvard Athletic Complex, Allston, MA

Old 03-08-2018, 05:37 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,694,419 times
The pizza here sucks, especially if you're used to NYC pizza. That said, when you find a place that has "good" pizza you patronize it and don't go anywhere else.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:30 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,472,603 times
is a good white clam pie in boston?

I tried the clam pie at pepe's in New Haven and it was terrible.

I thought the clam pie was better at star tavern in jersey

Old 03-09-2018, 10:45 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,724,563 times
Memorial Day Weekend can be on the quiet side in Boston proper. Students are gone. Little to no commuters from the burbs. Few business people nor conventions, etc. Many try to get away for the long weekend. A great time to visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston