Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2018, 10:15 AM

36 posts, read 51,386 times

Advertisements

My wife and I stay in Cape Cod with her family every year and we were wanting to take a day and go into Boston. What would be the best way to get into the city? I was thinking about parking in Kingston and taking the train in. Would there be a better way? We know nothing of the area and plan to research more but I figured this would be a good place to start. TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 10:18 AM

2,190 posts, read 2,230,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbohon View Post
My wife and I stay in Cape Cod with her family every year and we were wanting to take a day and go into Boston. What would be the best way to get into the city? I was thinking about parking in Kingston and taking the train in. Would there be a better way? We know nothing of the area and plan to research more but I figured this would be a good place to start. TIA
A more fun option then the train could be to go to Hingham and taking the ferry in.

https://mbta.com/schedules/Boat-F1/line

When are you visiting? On the weekend it might be cheaper and faster to just drive in and look for cheap parking on something like spot hero. If you have multiple people the train can get expensive, plus you usually have to pay to park at the train.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
A more fun option then the train could be to go to Hingham and taking the ferry in.

https://mbta.com/schedules/Boat-F1/line

When are you visiting? On the weekend it might be cheaper and faster to just drive in and look for cheap parking on something like spot hero. If you have multiple people the train can get expensive, plus you usually have to pay to park at the train.
We would be visiting sometime mid week, the ferry from Hingham looks like it could be the best option for us. It will only be me and my wife. Do you know if there is a parking fee in Hingham?

Old 04-11-2018, 11:30 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,719,577 times
There's also the Fast Ferry from Provincetown, if that would be any easier.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbohon View Post
We would be visiting sometime mid week, the ferry from Hingham looks like it could be the best option for us. It will only be me and my wife. Do you know if there is a parking fee in Hingham?
4 dollars.

Old 04-11-2018, 12:42 PM

8,499 posts, read 4,552,009 times
The other option would be to drive at little further up route 3 to the last red line (subway) stop in Braintree. The subway runs much more frequently giving you more flexibility and it would be cheaper. Get the all day T pass and you can get on and off as many times as you want.

Old 04-11-2018, 01:00 PM

3,970 posts, read 5,762,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
The other option would be to drive at little further up route 3 to the last red line (subway) stop in Braintree. The subway runs much more frequently giving you more flexibility and it would be cheaper. Get the all day T pass and you can get on and off as many times as you want.
Problem the O.P. might encounter with Braintree is that the parking garage there can fill up quickly with commuters, especially during the weekdays. Either the ferry or commuter train would be a better option.

Old 04-11-2018, 03:39 PM

4 posts, read 3,345 times
If you are willing to drive to Hingham, the ferry is the most scenic option (although definitely out of the way coming from the Cape). The Ptown ferry is convenient if you happen to be in Ptown, Truro or Welfleet though it is a good bit more expensive (about $90 pp round trip and you'd have to pay to park in Ptown for the day plus there's only three trips each way a day).

The commuter rail at Kingston is a relatively easy trip too and it is only $23 pp round trip. If you are willing to drive in closer to the city, there will likely still be parking at Quincy Adams on the red line, which is right off the highway. (Braintree, the first stop, tends to fill up very early as its a smaller garage)

There is also the Plymouth and Brockton bus line which has stops in Hyannis and at the Sagamore Bridge (https://www.p-b.com/boston-to-from-hyannis/) and the Peter Pan Bus which runs through Falmouth and Bourne (https://peterpanbus.com/destinations/cape/). Both have trips to South Station in Boston close to every hour and are between $45-$60 pp roundtrip depending on where you're departing from.

Lots of options!

Old 04-11-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Problem the O.P. might encounter with Braintree is that the parking garage there can fill up quickly with commuters, especially during the weekdays. Either the ferry or commuter train would be a better option.
Quincy Adams has more spots.

Old 04-11-2018, 06:15 PM

You guys have gave me a lot of good options to look into. I really appreciate all the help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston