Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 06:36 PM

17 posts, read 56,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlefan View Post
Hi. I would love to live in a condo but they always have restrictions. Townhouse would not work and condo too. The dog barking may be a problem for people. I just don’t want any risks and someone complaining about pets. I think with our little zoo we should be more realistic and get a single even if it’s a small home.
Respectfully, I see you making some big and incorrect assumptions about condo life in Boston and totally writing that off as an option because of it. I've lived in the South End of Boston for 23 years in two different condos (one a townhouse, and now an 80 unit bldg.), and one of the things I've seen is that it has turned into dog owner central... but that's a testament to its livability. In my part of the South End on Washington St., there are at least four dog stores within a 1/2 mile or less, one of which is a dog "bakery (https://polkadogdelivery.com/), and three of these cater to dog owners exclusively (supplies and services). The one that is a cat/dog store is a small Petco branch, but the others are local and independent. Dog walking services are plentiful. There are three parks near me that are popular with dog owners, one of which is one of the designated City dog parks where you can take your dog off leash (here: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wa...!4d-71.0679033)

Many owners with well-behaved dogs let their dogs off leash in the other parks, though it's not technically compliant with city leash law. There's a good number of dog owners who are regulars at these parks and hang out with each other while they watch their dogs play. From what I've observed, all the dog owners in these parks are friendly, welcoming, and courteous. There are so many dogs here that in nice weather many businesses put out dog water bowls near their store entrance. It's great fun, and the only dog owners that put a damper on that aspect of living here is the few dog owners that don't clean up after theirs.

As far as condo and apartment buildings go, you have lots of options here. My building is a newer condo building that is completely dog friendly, and there are many dogs in this building. My informed guess is that most large condo and apartment buildings here are dog-friendly. In fact, I've seen at least two new construction large residential buildings in the past year just in the South End alone advertise in-building dog services to attract new buyers or renters. Here's an example: The Girard, a new South End apartment building that has a rooftop dog run! (http://www.equityapartments.com/bost...rd-apartments/)

You mention the barking: Yes, if you have a dog that barks loudly and frequently it can be an issue for your neighbors and you'll have to deal with it. But that's a training issue, and why wouldn't you want to correct that behavior anyways?

The South End has gotten extremely popular in the last few decades for lifestyle reasons just like this, so it is admittedly expensive, but that's because it has so much to offer such as great dining and walkability, but it still may be in your price range. Zillow says the average condo price in this neighborhood is $877k, and your stated range is $7-800k: https://www.zillow.com/south-end-boston-ma/home-values/

When you add all this up, I think there's a strong case that it's easier to own a dog in the South End than most other places because of all the services and like-minded people. My friendly advice: Make fewer assumptions and be open to more possibilities... and you may find exactly what you're after.

Last edited by Theseus; 05-17-2018 at 07:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 08:07 PM

74 posts, read 70,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theseus View Post
Respectfully, I see you making some big and incorrect assumptions about condo life in Boston and totally writing that off as an option because of it. [b]I've lived in the South End of Boston for 23 years.....
Thank you for this informative post. We will keep an open mind for sure. It was our experience in the past that condos limit pets to 1 or 2 that is why we assumed we are better of in a single since we have so many pets. People generally think we are crazy or nuts but I swear our house is immaculate.
Anyhow, sounds like Boston may be more open minded which is really nice to hear. My only concern would be my dog barking but she is a new dog and she is getting used to new things so she may calm down down the road.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:43 PM

In my enthusiasm to share dog-friendly facts about my neighborhood, I didn't pay enough attention to your concern based on your number of pets. Yes, that could be an issue. I just checked our building policy and it limits dogs and cats to two (not sure if that's two each, but the wording suggests two total of either type). I respect and understand that you may not want to consider downsizing your number of cats (they're family members, so I hope that doesn't sound cold!) and, if not, it will limit your options as you realize. Best of luck in your search.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:48 PM

74 posts, read 70,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theseus View Post
In my enthusiasm to share dog-friendly facts about my neighborhood, I didn't pay enough attention to your concern based on your number of pets. Yes, that could be an issue. I just checked our building policy and it limits dogs and cats to two (not sure if that's two each, but the wording suggests two total of either type). I respect and understand that you may not want to consider downsizing your number of cats (hope that doesn't sound cold!) and, if not, it will limit your options as you realize. Best of luck in your search.
Gotcha! No worries! I got excited for a moment . And we definitely are keeping them all even if that means spend more money just to be able to have them. They are all rescues and we love them. I also believe in good karma. I know that sounds rather funny.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:52 PM

No, not funny. It sounds like you have a big heart.

Old 05-18-2018, 05:46 AM

4,621 posts, read 4,888,677 times
Quote:
I am not sure where you are from but MA was not our first choice. It’s definitely very expensive and tax heave. I hear there is a car tax too.
It's just about middle of the road for tax burden.
https://www.kiplinger.com/tool/taxes...-map/index.php
https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...-burden/20494/

Moderate sales tax, moderate income tax, fairly low property tax.
There is car excise tax, but plates are almost free. Excise tax is fairly low, unless your buying new cars every two years. It's $25 per $1000 of MSRP, discounted for age. https://www.mass.gov/guides/motor-vehicle-excise

My tax burden, and car ownership costs, is lower here than it was in California or Michigan.

Old 05-23-2018, 10:54 PM

2,818 posts, read 1,551,001 times
Quote:
Completely understand. Potential jobs likely in downtown Boston and Cambridge. Budget 700-800k. Would prefer walkable safe area with coffee shops or at least Starbucks. No kids. Don’t care about scbools. Safety is important. Have pets ( cats and a dog) so I think condos would not work for us. Commute by foot, car or train by no boats. Ocean proximity is not important. I am guessing our budget is too little for this wish list?
Within 30 minutes to Boston: Arlington (borders Cambridge--you could actually walk to Cambridge from East Arlington). You can buy a nice, renovated single family home--although on the small side--in your budget. Definitely look in East Arlington, near Arlington Center: safe, nice little walkable center with restaurants and coffee shops (including Starbucks), movie theater, fitness centers. Bus to Harvard Square in Cambridge (15 minutes); subway from Cambridge to Boston (15 minutes). Or even Arlington Heights: walkable distance to Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Starbucks.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-02505?view=qv

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-43293?view=qv

Have to act fast on properties in Arlington, though; they generally fly off the market within a week or two.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:41 PM

652 posts, read 749,491 times
How bout West Roxbury? Suburb feel, safe, super low real estate taxes, there are a ton of nice houses to be had for cheap due to the Boston public school issue, but OP doesn’t care about the schools. Commuter Rail and busses available, and tons of great food going up and down Washington Street.

Just don’t confuse West Roxbury and Roxbury. They are completely different neighborhood. What you’re looking for is probably not in Roxbury.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston