Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 06:30 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,799,060 times

Advertisements

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but right in North Quincy (a short walk from North Quincy stop on the red line) Pho Linh Vietnamese - the place is very good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2018, 03:06 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,771,686 times
Fugyaku in Brookline. I don't know about the other locations but the decor is beautiful and the baby octopus is a must. The last time I went, I had to order an entire baby octopus just for myself as I didn't want to share it.

https://www.fugakyu.net/

And Bonchon has yummy Korean chicken wings.

https://bonchon.com/

Old 06-27-2018, 07:53 AM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
So I plugged this earlier, and I'm going to plug it again. Tsurumen is the best Ramen I've had in the Boston area by a wide margin: https://www.yelp.com/biz/tsurumen-davis-somerville

Old 06-29-2018, 08:19 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,727,364 times
I will be in Andover MA in mid July. I would like a good Dim Sum and have no issues going to Boston for one. Any suggestions.

Old 06-29-2018, 08:49 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,402,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
So I plugged this earlier, and I'm going to plug it again. Tsurumen is the best Ramen I've had in the Boston area by a wide margin.
I was in the neighborhood today and stopped by to try it. Apparently they were closed this week.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:14 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,116,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadameMerle View Post

GeePee: do you mean Super Fusion? I live close to there and have always heard really good things but somehow never managed to go. I should make a point to check it out!
Went to Super Fusion this weekend. Lordie what a great little joint. Smoked squid salad was my favorite dish i got, and an order was less than $6. The couple maki rolls we got were very interesting combos that I have rarely seen. I will be back.

Old 07-25-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Ramen: Yumi Wo Katare (Porter Square) Yume Wo Katare
I went last night for the first time. I have to say, I really wasn’t impressed. On the plus size, the portions are huge and the scene is pretty cool. Definitely quirky, but fun. That being said, my Ramen (only one option available in a few sizes) was reallllllly fatty even though I asked for lean. Like really greasy and fatty to the point of being gross. And I don’t mind greasy/fatty a lot of the time when it comes to my food. I think I would only ever go here again if I was starving and was ok with quantity over quality. I get why they do it, but the lack of a to-go or option to take home leftovers is a bummer.

Old 07-26-2018, 10:42 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,402,545 times
Quote:
I went last night for the first time. I have to say, I really wasn’t impressed. On the plus size, the portions are huge and the scene is pretty cool. Definitely quirky, but fun. That being said, my Ramen (only one option available in a few sizes) was reallllllly fatty even though I asked for lean. Like really greasy and fatty to the point of being gross. And I don’t mind greasy/fatty a lot of the time when it comes to my food. I think I would only ever go here again if I was starving and was ok with quantity over quality. I get why they do it, but the lack of a to-go or option to take home leftovers is a bummer.
I like Yume Wo Katare quite a bit, however it is definitely very rich. You may not prefer it, but I would argue that the quality is very high here. You're not going to find many (any?) good ramen places that do left overs or take out as quality noodles change rapidly in the broth. To some it may be noodle soup, but to a serious reman chef it is their art.

Any place that asks if I want "delicious garlic" makes me happy. When I have eaten there in the past it has been my only meal of the day with light snacks for other meals. There is no asking for lean there, it is what it is. Even if you got leaner pieces of chashu, the broth is a fat bomb. I actually haven't been there in quite awhile, as I have no self control and always go for a "Perfect!". After my last visit I encountered a digestive issue the next day that I am not going to be so indelicate as to provide detail, beyond saying it was horrific. I'm pretty sure it was due to my gluttony and drinking every last drop of broth out of the bowl. I am working on self discipline.

Interestingly, Tsurumen gets their noodles from Yume Wo Katare's machine.

Last edited by porterhouse; 07-26-2018 at 11:16 AM..

Old 07-26-2018, 06:29 PM

3,862 posts, read 5,286,495 times
Quote:
Gotcha, and it is not for everyone I agree. As Porterhouse mentioned it is extremely rich. Personally I love that, plus they serve a style of Ramen that is rare in the US and one of my personal favourites. I barely ever finish my bowl and I have a big appetite. I know its a fat bomb waiting to explode, but I do not mind.

As with anything YMMV, thanks for sharing your thoughts though.

Old 07-27-2018, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
I like Yume Wo Katare quite a bit, however it is definitely very rich. You may not prefer it, but I would argue that the quality is very high here. You're not going to find many (any?) good ramen places that do left overs or take out as quality noodles change rapidly in the broth. To some it may be noodle soup, but to a serious reman chef it is their art.

Any place that asks if I want "delicious garlic" makes me happy. When I have eaten there in the past it has been my only meal of the day with light snacks for other meals. There is no asking for lean there, it is what it is. Even if you got leaner pieces of chashu, the broth is a fat bomb. I actually haven't been there in quite awhile, as I have no self control and always go for a "Perfect!". After my last visit I encountered a digestive issue the next day that I am not going to be so indelicate as to provide detail, beyond saying it was horrific. I'm pretty sure it was due to my gluttony and drinking every last drop of broth out of the bowl. I am working on self discipline.

Interestingly, Tsurumen gets their noodles from Yume Wo Katare's machine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Gotcha, and it is not for everyone I agree. As Porterhouse mentioned it is extremely rich. Personally I love that, plus they serve a style of Ramen that is rare in the US and one of my personal favourites. I barely ever finish my bowl and I have a big appetite. I know its a fat bomb waiting to explode, but I do not mind.

As with anything YMMV, thanks for sharing your thoughts though.
I think a big part of the problem was my expectations. As you indicated - you love what they do and if that's what you're looking for, it's probably perfect. I wasn't looking for/expecting something so rich/heavy.

I ski a lot in the winter, and all I could think of is how perfect this place would be at a ski area. I know ramen is super popular at Japanese ski area, and this style would be a HUGE hit here in the states. Perfect fuel for being active in cold weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston