Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 09:36 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,417,053 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I could use some local advice. My wife, m-i-l, and daughter are headed to the Boston area in a few weeks. They are staying in Brockton (family gathering down that way), but intending to spend most of their time in the city. My m-i-l wants to avoid renting a car, but I'm looking at transit maps and that doesn't look practical at all, especially since their hotel is a couple miles from the Brockton rail station. However, does parking availablity and cost make driving into the city impractical as well?

The other option would be Uber/Lyft, but that gets complicated with a booster seat too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2018, 05:56 AM

3,163 posts, read 2,085,280 times
When you say "spend most time in the city" Do you mean Boston? or Brockton?
If boston, I would advise to save your money on the car rental and look into some commuter rail options. It can be tricky and pricey to park in a lot of Boston.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:52 AM

So I think they will spend at least one full day in Boston proper, hitting the aquarium and some of the history sites. One day some of the extended family group is going down to Plimoth Plantation, which they may carpool with other folks for. There are also travel days on either side with about a half-day free before or after flights.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:56 AM

9,957 posts, read 15,552,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
When you say "spend most time in the city" Do you mean Boston? or Brockton?
If boston, I would advise to save your money on the car rental and look into some commuter rail options. It can be tricky and pricey to park in a lot of Boston.
I have to agree with this. They aren't going to want to drive in Boston.

This is outside the scope of your inquiry, but does your wife know about Brockton's reputation?

Old 07-11-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stpontiac View Post
So I think they will spend at least one full day in Boston proper, hitting the aquarium and some of the history sites. One day some of the extended family group is going down to Plimoth Plantation, which they may carpool with other folks for. There are also travel days on either side with about a half-day free before or after flights.
I love Plymouth Plantation. Have fun. all the places you listed in Boston are close to and accessible by public transportation.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:05 AM

23,244 posts, read 18,403,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post

This is outside the scope of your inquiry, but does your wife know about Brockton's reputation?
They are likely staying at the Country Inn or Super 8 which are both on the west side, fine if they just need a room for a few nights.

If I were them I would rent a car and drive to the T in Quincy Adams. Weekends they could drive in.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:39 AM

Quote:

No, I'm sure not. The location was selected by the folks planning the larger family gathering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
They are likely staying at the Country Inn or Super 8 which are both on the west side, fine if they just need a room for a few nights.

If I were them I would rent a car and drive to the T in Quincy Adams. Weekends they could drive in.
You are correct, they are staying near the Westgate Mall.

Car for Brockton + Public transit into Boston sounds like the route to go.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:35 AM

9,957 posts, read 15,552,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stpontiac View Post
No, I'm sure not. The location was selected by the folks planning the larger family gathering.

You are correct, they are staying near the Westgate Mall.

Car for Brockton + Public transit into Boston sounds like the route to go.
Ok, just looking out for our tourists!

Old 07-11-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Ok, just looking out for our tourists!
I appreciate it! My m-i-l was looking for things to do in Brockton that they could walk to, so its nice to know what the area is like.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:12 PM

Tell them to check out the fuller craft museum. It's pretty awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston