Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 06:31 AM

2 posts, read 17,600 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be relocating from rural WV to the Boston area next spring. We are looking for safe, beautiful neighborhoods, great preschools and public schools, varied sports, arts and cultural activities. I've heard that Jamaica Plain and Brookline are nice areas. My hubby doesn't want a long commute and we understand that the city traffic is a bear. Would any of you recommend these towns?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2006, 07:52 AM

10,007 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Jamaica Plain is a Boston neighborhood.

Brookline has very good public schools and an easy commute into the city. It's quite expensive, though. What were you thinking of spending?

Old 12-14-2006, 07:36 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,484,195 times
Second CaseyB.

Are you ready to move from rural to city? Beautiful neighborhood in Brookline starts around $1-1.5 million. (currently median price $950K)

Jamaica Plan is more reasonable with median home price ~$365K. However, it is part of Boston school district. Hence, school is usually not good unless you can get into the exam schools (like Boston Latin).

I suggest you look at some south shore communities. You can take the subway into Boston.

Old 12-14-2006, 08:04 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
As a former commuter, I agree the South Shore might be a good choice. Three towns I like(d): Hingham, Quincey, Milton.

You can see these in relationshiip to one another here:

http://www.southshorechamber.com/communities/links.htm (broken link)

I thought Quincey had some good prices and nice views. Other towns on the above community map are also very affordable, with good schools, and not far from the inner City.

Commuting on 95, or 93 can be hazardous to one's emotional health. It took me ages to figure out how to get out of the bulk of traffic by gliding over to the far right lane (an invisible lane created by folks trying to get farther South) - I had 60 miles to go!

Old 12-16-2006, 10:57 AM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
As a former commuter, I agree the South Shore might be a good choice. Three towns I like(d): Hingham, Quincey, Milton.

You can see these in relationshiip to one another here:

http://www.southshorechamber.com/communities/links.htm (broken link)

I thought Quincey had some good prices and nice views. Other towns on the above community map are also very affordable, with good schools, and not far from the inner City.

Commuting on 95, or 93 can be hazardous to one's emotional health. It took me ages to figure out how to get out of the bulk of traffic by gliding over to the far right lane (an invisible lane created by folks trying to get farther South) - I had 60 miles to go!
hyde park near the milton line might also be a soulution. J.P. near rhe monument and roslindale line is nice. Also J.P. near the pond is nice. hingham is expensive.

Old 12-20-2006, 08:59 PM

2 posts, read 17,600 times
Thanks so much, everybody! This gives me a great start! Now the fun begins (finding a place to live). Sigh.

Shannie

Old 12-22-2006, 08:54 AM

1 posts, read 8,796 times
Smile Try the North Shore

Hi Shannie,
While the South Shore has some nice towns, consider giving the North Shore a try. I live about 20 minutes (on a good day) north of Boston (and I actually work in downtown Boston), and the communities there are wonderful. You might take a look at Peabody, Lynnfield, Middleton, Danvers, etc. - any place north of Route 128/95. Not only are they convenient to major highways, you are closer to TAX-FREE shopping in New Hampshire. Also, if you are an outdoors person, you are closer to what New Hampshire and Maine have to offer for outdoor activities (e.g. skiing, hiking, camping, etc.). Good luck in your search.

Old 12-29-2006, 06:56 PM

34 posts, read 171,958 times
Don't overlook Weymouth. Cheaper than Quincy, Milton, Hingham and Boston. It's around 15 miles or so south of Boston. It borders Hingham, Quincy and Braintree. Braintree is nice too, but more expensive. Dont' know anything about north shore towns.

Linda

Old 12-29-2006, 07:56 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannie View Post
Thanks so much, everybody! This gives me a great start! Now the fun begins (finding a place to live). Sigh.

Shannie
hi, norwood and dedham you could also check out. both are near the boston towns mentioned here.

Old 12-29-2006, 09:42 PM

278 posts, read 1,063,559 times
We are moving to MA from Texas...interesting turn of events. We are friendly people who like to hang out with neighbors and make friends. My kids are both musicians and we have been told that Hingham & Duxbury have good orchestra programs in schools. HOWEVER, some people have suggested that Hingham & Dux are on the snobby side if your house doesn't exceed the 900- range?? Anybody know anything about this or wish to contribute? I've heard Marshfield is a relatively friendly town as well, but is looked down upon by the wealthier towns of Hingham and Dux. Help us if you can! thanks, Lori
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston