Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 10:11 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,245,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
IMHO going out to eat is the most mindless and frivolous activity that people do. I can buy a weeks worth of groceries and cook better than most places around me for the price of one dinner from a hotshot chef du jour. People instragramming photos of meals they paid for also blows my mind. WOW, great accomplishment. You got ripped off or tater tots. Morons.
lol! Agree
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 12:35 PM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
No the government doesn't "give me". I have my own HOUSE, my own PIECE OF SOCIETY that I rule. That I buy a $700 iPhone and can't make my rent or put anything away is not the government's doing.

The government does give you. It gives you policies, laws, tax codes, and other structures which within we live our lives, from regulatory to infrastructure to a myriad of other arenas.

And we rarely (Actually never) have 100% rule of our property even fully paid off and in unzoned land.

You're living in denial.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
I'm estimated to save $500 or so a year, yippee. I think the real shocker for many will come in a few months from now when they find out those fewer withholdings in 2018 will come back to bight them when they file.

But it's not a D vs. R thing, our past president was the most reckless to date (this really needs to go to the P&OC forum).

You don't save it, its for a few years for all but the rich (the "cut" expires) and you just kicked the obligation down the road a few years in order to pay for permanent cuts for the super rich and to explode our deficit. You save nothing.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Last time I went out to eat was 2 weeks ago to Green Briar in Brighton (no offense to Green Briar meant, it's actually probably one of the cheap-middle priced eateries around). I got chicken BLT ($13) a Fiddlehead IPA ($7) and a Wormtown Be Hoppy ($7) tip was probably $6.50 or so. Total for the night (about 1-1.5 hours): $33.50. That's over $30 more or less completely burned, not really memorable in any way. Just hanging out with my girlfriend and her friend for a bit. On a Tuesday. Yesterday, I bought 3-4 days of groceries for $35.

Some people go out and spend that $30 4 nights a week. Some people more. It's really incredible.

Eh, some people love to eat out, it is their joy. I'm more like you, when I do it, its because its a social expectation and it just feels generally like a waste of money to me. Especially at places like Deep Ellum, or Green Briar, or whatever... that mid tier not an "experience" or something special place.

Old 09-20-2018, 03:15 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,431,910 times
Quote:
No the government doesn't "give me". I have my own HOUSE, my own PIECE OF SOCIETY that I rule. That I buy a $700 iPhone and can't make my rent or put anything away is not the government's doing.

That I spent more than $700 a week in medication for cancer with insurance when I was 23 and couldn't make rent or put anything away for is, however, very much the government's doing.

'Murica.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:30 AM

23,571 posts, read 18,678,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
The government does give you. It gives you policies, laws, tax codes, and other structures which within we live our lives, from regulatory to infrastructure to a myriad of other arenas.

And we rarely (Actually never) have 100% rule of our property even fully paid off and in unzoned land.

You're living in denial.

When I said "HOUSE" I didn't mean that in a literal sense.

Point is, when living in the GREATEST country in the world it's not an option to blame the government (or X president) for your own failures. I somehow managed to save and live within my means on a modest income (now on my 3rd home), through 3 administrations (and rolled with the punches all along).

Old 09-21-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Point is, when living in the GREATEST country in the world it's not an option to blame the government (or X president) for your own failures. I somehow managed to save and live within my means on a modest income (now on my 3rd home), through 3 administrations (and rolled with the punches all along).

When did you leave the U.S.? The U.S. hasn't been ranked the greatest country in a long time.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
That I spent more than $700 a week in medication for cancer with insurance when I was 23 and couldn't make rent or put anything away for is, however, very much the government's doing.

'Murica.

That's bad luck's doing, not the government. I had an illness that the government doesn't believe in, and with insurance ended up paying a good $40k out of pocket over 4 years. Probably pales in comparison to what you spent, but I adjusted. I took advantage of 0% credit card offers. I put off buying new toys. Had minimum phone plan. Cut cable. Very little going out, etc. Was SLIGHTLY older than you. Since my recovery, I've been working my butt off to get back ahead. Still putting things off, driving the same vehicle I paid off when George W was still president. Did all that despite Trump, Obama or whoever else on might place the blame on.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
When did you leave the U.S.? The U.S. hasn't been ranked the greatest country in a long time.

Then why is everyone still trying to come here?

Old 09-21-2018, 09:15 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,115,788 times
Quote:
That's bad luck's doing, not the government. I had an illness that the government doesn't believe in, and with insurance ended up paying a good $40k out of pocket over 4 years. Probably pales in comparison to what you spent, but I adjusted. I took advantage of 0% credit card offers. I put off buying new toys. Had minimum phone plan. Cut cable. Very little going out, etc. Was SLIGHTLY older than you. Since my recovery, I've been working my butt off to get back ahead. Still putting things off, driving the same vehicle I paid off when George W was still president. Did all that despite Trump, Obama or whoever else on might place the blame on.
You really sound like a true patriot. Other countries that in your eyes that are not as great as our #1 red white and blue have figured out that their people have the right to live a free and healthy lives without being held prisoner to for profit insurance and healthcare. This system is indeed the BEST. For all the ones making money off it. You should open your eyes cowboy, the world is bigger than California to Maine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston