Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 08:47 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Point is the more you inconvenience that passenger from Canton or Sharon (or maybe even Quincy or Braintree), the more favorable T.F. Green will appear. Someone from Arlington or Medford may take a 2nd look at Manchester.

Maybe that is a good thing, long term (as far as their "regional strategy" is concerned). Massport could use that to grow Worcester as well.

To me the point is that IT IS more convenient to get to Logan now than a couple of decades ago. It's improved.

But yeah, if like for a business traveler, if someone else is paying, I'd be more likely to look elsewhere.

I haven't seen the fare yet that the PVD or Worcester or Manchester NH is competitive on, and then lack of direct flights.... I am flying out of PVD for at least one this summer and sucked it up and used more points to save time and a lil bit of hassle... but if it was actual $, I probably would not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2019, 09:02 AM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
To me the point is that IT IS more convenient to get to Logan now than a couple of decades ago. It's improved.

But yeah, if like for a business traveler, if someone else is paying, I'd be more likely to look elsewhere.

I haven't seen the fare yet that the PVD or Worcester or Manchester NH is competitive on, and then lack of direct flights.... I am flying out of PVD for at least one this summer and sucked it up and used more points to save time and a lil bit of hassle... but if it was actual $, I probably would not.
There are more options today, yet at the same time congestion has increased substantially. The airport is far busier. Cab fares, parking, T costs (you name it) is higher. When comparing fares between airports as well, you need to factor that stuff in.

Old 03-21-2019, 09:03 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:

It definitely has, and it's continuing to improve. A lot of Massport's upcoming plans are about improving access. Better connectivity between the terminals, better connection to the Blue Line (near term - a moving walkway from terminal E, APM in the future), looking into additional bus options, adding over 5,000 parking spots, etc. It's heading the right direction, but I still hope for improvement over the status quo. I work near the Blue Line so it's extra easy for me. I have a 7:20pm flight tomorrow. I'll be at security 30 minutes after closing my office door. That's easier than my commute home. But it's definitely hard for many, particularly those in the 'burbs.

I'm seeing more competitive fares out of PVD too. I often search both PVD and BOS together in google flights and maybe about 10% of the time PVD is slightly cheaper. Though the convenience of BOS prevents me from doing that unless it's significantly cheaper. I will say that award redemptions on DL out of PVD are better than Logan sometimes. I'm planning a trip to Japan with my girlfriend in the fall and PVD is about 10,000 fewer miles per person (both BOS/PVD flights connect in DTW to Tokyo). So it's better than it was a few years ago, but not quite there yet. Passenger numbers are approaching pre-recession volume at PVD now and have increased significantly for 3 straight years.

Old 03-21-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
There are more options today, yet at the same time congestion has increased substantially. The airport is far busier. Cab fares, parking, T costs (you name it) is higher. When comparing fares between airports as well, you need to factor that stuff in.

Things take long with TSA, but pre screen has negated that. I've never parked at any airport, so I guess I can't address that. Cabs are BS, but always have been, they've been gouging for decades (thankfully we have more options and haven't taken one for years (in this country)... I don't know if Super Shuttle works at Logan yet, but they are a gift in plenty of places. Another $0.50 on a T fare when I don't have a pass isn't going to tilt anything for me. Parking I can see being an issue, but the rest is a wash I think for the most part. Driving to Manchester takes time. Driving from Arlington to Worcester too. Or worse, to Providence. That's a good chunk of time. It takes a lot of congestion to offset that, and I don't think Boston is close yet, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
It definitely has, and it's continuing to improve. A lot of Massport's upcoming plans are about improving access. Better connectivity between the terminals, better connection to the Blue Line (near term - a moving walkway from terminal E, APM in the future), looking into additional bus options, adding over 5,000 parking spots, etc. It's heading the right direction, but I still hope for improvement over the status quo. I work near the Blue Line so it's extra easy for me. I have a 7:20pm flight tomorrow. I'll be at security 30 minutes after closing my office door. That's easier than my commute home. But it's definitely hard for many, particularly those in the 'burbs.

Sure, the burbs suck for a myriad of reasons, this is just one of them. We know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I'm seeing more competitive fares out of PVD too. I often search both PVD and BOS together in google flights and maybe about 10% of the time PVD is slightly cheaper. Though the convenience of BOS prevents me from doing that unless it's significantly cheaper. I will say that award redemptions on DL out of PVD are better than Logan sometimes. I'm planning a trip to Japan with my girlfriend in the fall and PVD is about 10,000 fewer miles per person (both BOS/PVD flights connect in DTW to Tokyo). So it's better than it was a few years ago, but not quite there yet. Passenger numbers are approaching pre-recession volume at PVD now and have increased significantly for 3 straight years.

Yeah, I mean, smaller airports can be easier. PVD is easier to pick someone up, for sure. No denying that. But, there are sooo many fewer options. Was pricing Sri Lanka and Iquitos again a few nights ago... No way am I going out anywhere but Boston for stuff like that. Just not completive.

Old 03-21-2019, 09:16 AM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
Quote:
Come on it's not that bad.
Don't compare it to the lowest bar (LGA). Boston is a world class city with aspirations for more. Have you visited the airports of other global cities in Boston's ilk? Logan falls far short against just about any analogous airport in Europe or Asia.

Old 03-21-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Don't compare it to the lowest bar (LGA). Boston is a world class city with aspirations for more. Have you visited the airports of other global cities in Boston's ilk? Logan falls far short against just about any analogous airport in Europe or Asia.

Don't compare our infrastructure to Europe or Asia. Compare it to similar U.S. cities.

Of course our transit infrastructure sucks compared to Europe and Asia. That's a given.

Old 03-21-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Things take long with TSA, but pre screen has negated that. I've never parked at any airport, so I guess I can't address that. Cabs are BS, but always have been, they've been gouging for decades (thankfully we have more options and haven't taken one for years (in this country)... I don't know if Super Shuttle works at Logan yet, but they are a gift in plenty of places. Another $0.50 on a T fare when I don't have a pass isn't going to tilt anything for me. Parking I can see being an issue, but the rest is a wash I think for the most part. Driving to Manchester takes time. Driving from Arlington to Worcester too. Or worse, to Providence. That's a good chunk of time. It takes a lot of congestion to offset that, and I don't think Boston is close yet, IMO.
It's not yet, but getting there. I don't know what the ratio is, but I suspect the majority of Logan passengers are from the suburbs. What might have been the threshold for Logan vs. Green 20 years ago moves north every passing year. I'm making this up, but let's say if it was Foxborough/Mansfield back then, it's now Walpole of Sharon. In a few years it will be Canton or Westwood. Same idea north (Manchester), or west (WOrcester). Don't forget that a significant number of Logan's passengers already come from past those points as well as RI and NH, and go with Logan for price and flight options (to include yourself). The more those advantages disappear, the less we will see of that without substantial infrastructure improvements.

Old 03-21-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
It's not yet, but getting there. I don't know what the ratio is, but I suspect the majority of Logan passengers are from the suburbs. What might have been the threshold for Logan vs. Green 20 years ago moves north every passing year. I'm making this up, but let's say if it was Foxborough/Mansfield back then, it's now Walpole of Sharon. In a few years it will be Canton or Westwood. Same idea north (Manchester), or west (WOrcester). Don't forget that a significant number of Logan's passengers already come from past those points as well as RI and NH, and go with Logan for price and flight options (to include yourself). The more those advantages disappear, the less we will see of that without substantial infrastructure improvements.

Sure, that makes sense. It's the price of success. A recession could easily set back that too if business travel greatly gets curtailed.

I sure do hope more routes get added to PVD, but public transit there is horrible, unlike Logan.

Old 03-21-2019, 09:45 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Quote:

I sure do hope more routes get added to PVD, but public transit there is horrible, unlike Logan.
Really wish they could have made it easier and faster to get to Logan. I feel bad for people from out of town trying to figure out how to take the green line to the red line and the silver line, then realize the silver line is a bus not a train, then sit around awkwardly for a minute or 2 when it switches its fuel source in the middle of the ride. Then get into traffic anyway and have it take forever to make the few mile trip that looks so easy on a map.

Old 03-21-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Sure, that makes sense. It's the price of success. A recession could easily set back that too if business travel greatly gets curtailed.

True, a recession would of course throw everything off here and probably reverse the recent gains at PVD especially.

Quote:
I suspect transit will improve as the airport grows, but it's still very easy to drive to and park at that I'm not sure there is really a market yet for that. I mean is anybody actually using the Commuter Rail stop there? Last I knew it was a dud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Really wish they could have made it easier and faster to get to Logan. I feel bad for people from out of town trying to figure out how to take the green line to the red line and the silver line, then realize the silver line is a bus not a train, then sit around awkwardly for a minute or 2 when it switches its fuel source in the middle of the ride. Then get into traffic anyway and have it take forever to make the few mile trip that looks so easy on a map.
Anybody familiar would take the Green to the Blue. If they are from out of town...do people even read maps anymore? I don't think any trip planner would send somebody to the Silver Line, coming from the Green Line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston