Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 05:51 PM

23,571 posts, read 18,678,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
I think geoffd's idea is to have a terminus for Logan car traffic on the other side of the tunnel and have passengers travel the last miles to the airport via multi-passenger vehicles. It really doesn't make sense to have 60 cars (private, limo, or ride share) travel through the tunnel when one bus can do the job.

Logan's long term vision is to limit single user car trips as they can't easily increase capacity in the tunnels.
I'm not sure that would play out so well. I think by adding on that extra leg of the trip, many if not most will say "screw it" and just drive their personal vehicles in (and giving Massport more leverage to gouge us even more). What does that solve?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 06:58 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,694,844 times
Quote:
I think geoffd's idea is to have a terminus for Logan car traffic on the other side of the tunnel and have passengers travel the last miles to the airport via multi-passenger vehicles. It really doesn't make sense to have 60 cars (private, limo, or ride share) travel through the tunnel when one bus can do the job.

Logan's long term vision is to limit single user car trips as they can't easily increase capacity in the tunnels.
The problem of course is that the tunnels go to places other than the airport, so people would figure out a way to circumvent this hypothetical traffic pattern.

Old 03-20-2019, 07:59 PM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
The problem of course is that the tunnels go to places other than the airport, so people would figure out a way to circumvent this hypothetical traffic pattern.
Only way to stop cars is to make it expensive enough to encourage people to seek other options. Some airports charge pick up/ drop off tolls. That would deter some trips if the fees exceeded the cost of alternate modes of transportation. Separate surcharges/fees are leveraged on ride shares at some airports. These encourage transit use.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:03 PM

3,176 posts, read 3,694,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Only way to stop cars is to make it expensive enough to encourage people to seek other options. Some airports charge pick up/ drop off tolls. That would deter some trips if the fees exceeded the cost of alternate modes of transportation. Separate surcharges/fees are leveraged on ride shares at some airports. These encourage transit use.
They already do that by extorting people from the burbs with the cost of parking. There really is no viable transit option for a family coming from the suburbs.

Old 03-21-2019, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Separate surcharges/fees are leveraged on ride shares at some airports. These encourage transit use.
Massport has done this with taxi cabs forever, I'd be shocked if they haven't gone after ride shares in the same fashion.

Old 03-21-2019, 06:38 AM

6,121 posts, read 5,090,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I really don’t care about the aesthetics of the terminals. I care about airport access, security queues, and passport control queues. I think Lyft and Uber should be banned from the tunnels and the airport. Put a dedicated bus lane on the TWT and keep all the Logan car traffic on the Boston side.
You may not care about aesthetics but the current situation is in dire need of an upgrade. Logan is often the first point of entry for visitors, and first impressions are formed quickly. Coming out of the Delta gates, to baggage claim and/or ground transport, feels like walking through NYC Port Authority circa 1978.

Old 03-21-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
You may not care about aesthetics but the current situation is in dire need of an upgrade. Logan is often the first point of entry for visitors, and first impressions are formed quickly. Coming out of the Delta gates, to baggage claim and/or ground transport, feels like walking through NYC Port Authority circa 1978.
Come on it's not that bad.

Old 03-21-2019, 07:03 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,239,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Come on it's not that bad.

It's not even remotely that bad. I last flew Delta in September and I've always used the satellite terminal Southwest gates a lot since they moved from Terminal E. It's not even close to the LGA pre-remodel bus station ambiance. The TSA Pre line has never been bad in Terminal A in my experience. You might snake back & forth 3 or 4 times before getting to the humans looking at your drivers license. I don't recall ever waiting more than 5 minutes. The restroom near the base of the escalator from central parking and the ones behind security are clean.

Old 03-21-2019, 07:10 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,239,810 times
Quote:

The way you stop cars is to deny them access to the airport. EZ Pass takes a photo of every license plate going through the tunnels. Put up a gate for passenger cars at the airport entrance and match license plates. You want cars driving in from the 'burbs to park or wait west of the tunnels. Start building huge parking garages and dedicate a bus lane so very frequent bus service can get through quickly. Logan Express on steroids.

Old 03-21-2019, 07:12 AM

9,874 posts, read 7,202,378 times
Massport's plan is to limit traffic congestion around the airport, East Boston, and the tunnels to meet it's agreement with the Conservation Law Foundation of 40% of passengers using public transit by 2027. It's around 30% now which is one of the highest in the country.

Long term, only high capacity vehicles will be allowed to drop off at the curb. If one takes Logan Express (from additional suburban stations), the proposed monorail, or the silver line, one goes right to the door. Drive yourself in, expect to pay higher parking rates. Get a ride, take Uber/Lyft share or taxi, or call a town car and you will probably have to go to a dedicated spot in the garages which I believe the ride shares are already doing.

Flight traffic is growing at Logan with passenger counts up by 30% in 3 years. In 2018, ride share and taxi pickups were up by 30% from 2017. Since 2013, tunnel traffic at Sumner/Callahan is up 35% and 21% at the Williams. Now the latter isn't all due to the airport but it's a signal that the infrastructure ins't going to be able to handle the expected vehicle traffic. Again, it's all in the planning.

Basically, we are going to have to change our thinking of how to get to Logan. Trust me, I love having my wife or kids drive me to and from the terminal door. When I do take public transport, it involves a little planning. I can Uber to Logan Express but it adds 30 minutes to my trip on either side for the ride share. I can take the orange line from my wife's office or the commuter rail but it takes longer.

Here is the article noting the expected changes: https://www.bostonglobe.com/business...7NO/story.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston