Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 12:53 PM

3,207 posts, read 2,114,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I've never seen a dudebro bash someone's head in on Brighton Ave.
I'm sure not many of us has seen someone get shot to death in Dot/Rox either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 01:28 PM

2,363 posts, read 1,850,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
This just isn’t true.

Don’t act like the last 6 days have been normal for the area. They haven’t.

110k seems a little low. Wikipedia has Dorchester’s population at 130k, and at least one other source has it at 160k. However, even at 160k, 25 homicides in a year is rediculously high, even when compared to other towns in MA with high crime rates like Lawrence and Brockton. I wonder what makes Dorchester so awful in this regard.

My point still stands (@redplum). Of all the homicides in Boston in 2017, none of them happened in Savin Hill, Neponset, Fort Hill, or Mission Hill. Remember, I’m not trying to make the point that all of Roxbury and Dorchester are paradise on Earth, just that the nicer parts of the neighborhoods are no better or worse than other Boston neighborhoods like Hyde Park, Allston, Roslindale, etc.
This map shows the Boston homicides in 2018. Look how many there are in Dorchester. Look how many are east of Dot ave (spoiler it's 0).

https://www.universalhub.com/crime/murder/2018

Brockton and especially Lawrence are a whole different world from Boston so it's hard to compare them. Brockton has a decent Boston cultural connection but much of the city is suburban and the energy level overall is a lot lower. The problem areas are likely a combination of (1) lack of a solid local employment base and (2) ideal location between boston, providence, nb, and the cape which lends itself to narcotics distribution. Lawrence is a tiny hyper-urban island of the generally sprawling Essex county. It doesn't feel like a suburb of Boston whatsoever and very limited cultural connection to the city.

West Dorchester is the geographic heart of the defacto capital of New England, a region of almost 15,000,000. This is a town where the average 1 bedroom apartment rent is north of 2,500 and we cram 14,000 people into every square mile and Dorchester is smack in the middle of that. The amount of energy, volatility, and overall social pressure in that environment has no parallel anywhere else in the state

Old 10-11-2018, 01:36 PM

21,626 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
This map shows the Boston homicides in 2018. Look how many there are in Dorchester. Look how many are east of Dot ave (spoiler it's 0).

https://www.universalhub.com/crime/murder/2018

Brockton and especially Lawrence are a whole different world from Boston so it's hard to compare them. Brockton has a decent Boston cultural connection but much of the city is suburban and the energy level overall is a lot lower. The problem areas are likely a combination of (1) lack of a solid local employment base and (2) ideal location between boston, providence, nb, and the cape which lends itself to narcotics distribution. Lawrence is a tiny hyper-urban island of the generally sprawling Essex county. It doesn't feel like a suburb of Boston whatsoever and very limited cultural connection to the city.

West Dorchester is the geographic heart of the defacto capital of New England, a region of almost 15,000,000. This is a town where the average 1 bedroom apartment rent is north of 2,500 and we cram 14,000 people into every square mile and Dorchester is smack in the middle of that. The amount of energy, volatility, and overall social pressure in that environment has no parallel anywhere else in the state
To answer the question about what makes Dorchester so bad when it comes to crime.

Dorchester has a history and culture of gangsterism/thuggery. The other cities don't or at least its a much more recent and less deeply embedded culture. Folks in Dorchester also have ties to social networks in other big cities, the immigrant-based criminals and general populous of Lawrence and Brockton simply dont have those connections. Overall a lower tier of less sophisticated and connected criminals.

The social pressure, centrality, size and gangster history/culture makes Dorchester and Boston very different than the rest of the states cities. In some ways crime and criminals in Boston/Dorchester is more similar style-wise and demographically to crime in NYC or Philly than crime and criminals in NB or Brockton or Lawrence

Old 10-11-2018, 02:10 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
I'm sure not many of us has seen someone get shot to death in Dot/Rox either.
Yeah but there are unquestionable stats for how many people do get murdered there. It's by far the most in the city. You don't have to be there to know about it.

Old 10-11-2018, 02:16 PM

Yes, but you don't have to personally witness some bozo who's drunk in Allston looking for a fight or destructing property to know its there. If given a choice I would rather deal with the latter problem

Old 10-11-2018, 02:24 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
Yes, but you don't have to personally witness some bozo who's drunk in Allston looking for a fight or destructing property to know its there. If given a choice I would rather deal with the latter problem
Ehhh actually you kinda do have to witness it. Otherwise there is no way you could know what happens.

In bad areas of Roxbury and Dorchester, you don't even have to witness murders. Families out on the streets crying, vigils, flowers left on sidewalks, people wearing t shirts of their dead relatives, all those things let you know what happened. That and the news reports too.

I would take a drunk 20 year old over violent gangs any day. I refuse to believe you're being serious here.

Old 10-11-2018, 03:38 PM

yes. thats what I meant

Old 10-11-2018, 03:50 PM

2,363 posts, read 1,850,107 times
One time i was driving on Brook ave about 1:30pm on a Tuesday and the cops pulled me over to ask what I was doing over there and to say someone my age just got gunned down up the street. I told them I'm sorry to hear that. Then I parked and some guys watching from the porch asked if I was trying to buy pot. I said I'm set and thought boy this neighborhood needs some help

Old 10-11-2018, 05:09 PM

17,668 posts, read 9,155,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I would take a drunk 20 year old over violent gangs any day.
Not that either is ideal, but this absolutely sums it up for me when given only those choices.

If Walrus and Fat Dude would prefer to be around gang violence then so be it. That said, they are providing misleading info regarding the safety of the better pockets within Roxbury and Dorchester. The dangerous areas are too close and unavoidable.

Old 10-11-2018, 05:19 PM

21,626 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Someone was grazed with a bullet on last night Lyndhurst Street a street with borderline mansions on it. In between Fields corner and Codman Square. One street over from Melville Ave. Another shots fired called on Draper street.

That being said a dead body was found in Allston on Riverdale Street today around 1...no word on if it was violent tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston