Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 06:23 PM

5,095 posts, read 4,953,925 times

Advertisements

it is interesting to see that havard could use broken logic to defend their unjustifiable discrimination in their admission process.

"Fitzsimmons testified that Harvard, in its quest for broader diversity, takes steps to boost the chances of African-Americans and Latino students, beginning with recruitment letters when their standardized test scores are in a middle range, rather than at higher ranges as required for white and Asian-American high schoolers to receive recruitment letters.

He said the decision is based partly on economic assumptions. "It really comes down to the economic disadvantage associated ... with both of those ethnic groups," Fitzsimmons said at one point, referring to blacks and Hispanics. "These are students who have less of an opportunity, on average at least, to prepare well and to do well on standardized testing because of the lack of opportunity often in their schools and their communities.

In a similar vein, Fitzsimmons said, Harvard sometimes looks for hardship in parent occupations. "I think there's a huge benefit," he said under questioning from Harvard lawyer William Lee, "because I think, again, you bring with you to Harvard your life experience. And your life experience has been shaped often quite profoundly by your parents and your family situation."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2018, 08:03 PM

5,095 posts, read 4,953,925 times
The Harvard admission trial puts the school's dirty secrets on display

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/20/polit...ney/index.html

Old 10-20-2018, 08:14 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,916,065 times
This isn’t really a Boston topic. I mean Harvard is located in the next city over from Boston, but it’s got very little to do with the area. You’ll find more takers in the education or politics forums.

Old 10-21-2018, 08:41 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,428,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
This isn’t really a Boston topic. I mean Harvard is located in the next city over from Boston, but it’s got very little to do with the area. You’ll find more takers in the education or politics forums.
I agree that this issue in and of itself doesn't really have anything to do with daily life in the area (more national), however, Harvard doesn't have much to do with Boston? And now we can't talk about Cambridge? This is getting silly. I walk from Boston to Cambridge every day of my life (sometimes twice!). Let's not pretend its some far out, vague, remote location.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I agree that this issue in and of itself doesn't really have anything to do with daily life in the area (more national), however, Harvard doesn't have much to do with Boston? And now we can't talk about Cambridge? This is getting silly. I walk from Boston to Cambridge every day of my life (sometimes twice!). Let's not pretend its some far out, vague, remote location.
Harvard has plenty in actual Boston, but my point was entirely the former, not the latter. I was originally going to write "sure Harvard is in Boston" before I realized that wasn't quite right and corrected myself. I've never said anything on the dozens of other threads in the Boston sub-forum discussing Cambridge-specific topics. I've always assumed Boston meant "the urban cities and towns near Boston".

This is a case of someone from somewhere else (I'm guess NYC metro) trying to bring a politics conversation where doesn't make sense.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:11 AM

23,551 posts, read 18,639,939 times
Also quite a few Ivy wannabes hang out on this subforum.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Also quite a few Ivy wannabes hang out on this subforum.
I wouldn't be surprised if there were quite a few Ivy alums on the subforum.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:18 AM

23,551 posts, read 18,639,939 times
Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if there were quite a few Ivy alums on the subforum.

Sure, probably some of both.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:28 PM

176 posts, read 250,658 times
I'm glad somebody posted this in the Boston forum.

The comments by Fitzsimmons are problematic to me. It looks to me like Havard has a policy designed to preserve its white population against Asian encroachment, that uses fostering advancement for Hispanics and African Americans as political cover. The average SAT score for an Asian entering an ivy league school is sixty-six points higher than the average white admitant. If admissions was conducted race neutrally it would result striking change to the student body. I've heard that the numbers of Asians would be expected to outnumber that of whites at elite universities.

Harvard probably doesn't prefer white students over Asians in general; but I do suspect that Harvard prefers the inter-generational wealth of white people over the lack thereof of Asian Americans. I can't imagine Harvard wants to embrace a world where it has to deny legacy admission prospects, and their ability to make substantial donations, for first generation Asian candidates with substantially less wealth on average.

I think this would be fine if Asian Americans weren't the least likely group in the United States to be promoted to management positions, even lower than African Americans and Hispanics. (https://hbr.org/2018/05/asian-americ...-to-management)

The numbers from the article that really get me from a Boston perspective is that Goldman Sachs reports that 27% of its U.S. professional workforce was Asian American, but only 11% of its U.S. executives and senior managers. I would be shocked if Boston-based financial and parma companies even approached Goldman's figures.

I am empathetic to the plight of Hispanics and certainly African Americans historically and at present. But fostering opportunities for those groups doesn't seem to be the reach of Harvard's policy.

Old 10-22-2018, 05:22 AM

3,206 posts, read 2,112,048 times
Quote:
It's not just harvard though. BLS has similar practices
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston