Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 03:45 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,519,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
I lived in Charlestown ,Dorchester until 1966 I went in the Service. When on a Recon Team they wouldn't let me get near a radio, they only wanted Mid West guys on the ANPRIC.
I graduated Charlestown High (Electrical) in 1967 while living in DOT...I see you left in '66...Lucky!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 05:22 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,118,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve9999 View Post
That's true of most American accents. I think the Baltimore accent is all but dead with people under 30.
I think the internet and social media generalized and homogenized this and the next generations.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:07 AM

12,967 posts, read 9,485,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i'm guilty of a lot of these and didnt even know they were specific to mass:
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appen...f_Boston_slang
The first time I flew into Boston, I asked the girl at the car rental counter a question about how to get somewhere, and she said something like "Go to the set of lights and bang a U-ie". She might have said "hang" a U-ie, but she was really hard to understand. It took me a while to figure out what she meant ... which I assume was "Make a U-turn at the traffic light". This was in the days before GPS nav so asking for directions was not unusual.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
No girls from the South love it, just like New England girls love Southern accents
I suppose I'd better make more trips to New England then. I didn't know they liked it.

I actually don't have much of a Southern accent, but you'd have no trouble telling I'm not a Bostonian.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Not from here, so I don't and won't pronounce "scallops" properly, at least by local standards.

Seems much of the country says "scale-ups" whereas Boston or even a college roommate from West Springfield says "scahhl-ups." It may even be a New England thing? That sounds so educated, so Brahmin -- like Sen. John Kerry may pronounce it.

How do you all pronounce it?
I pronounce it with a short a. Rhymes with 'gallup', as in riding a horse.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:09 AM

I once saw a picture of an information sign over a Boston freeway that said "Use ya blinkah".

And I agree ... in my trips to Boston, I'm not sure I ever saw a turn signal used.

I have a friend who lives somewhere southwest of Boston, I think inside the 485 loop but I can't remember the town. He's not a native, but his wife is from Fall River. Talking to her, she's from "Fall Rivva", and that she once saw a "dee-ah" on the side of the road. Sounded kinda cool.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:16 AM

24,558 posts, read 18,244,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
The first time I flew into Boston, I asked the girl at the car rental counter a question about how to get somewhere, and she said something like "Go to the set of lights and bang a U-ie". She might have said "hang" a U-ie, but she was really hard to understand. It took me a while to figure out what she meant ... which I assume was "Make a U-turn at the traffic light". This was in the days before GPS nav so asking for directions was not unusual.

"Bang a U-ie" and "Hang a U-ie" are interchangeable. "Bang a U-ie and hang a right at the next light" would be normal slang in eastern Massachusetts or Rhode Island.

Quote:
I once saw a picture of an information sign over a Boston freeway that said "Use ya blinkah".

That's one of 3 or 4 standard displays on the electronic sign boards. Using your turn signal is a sign of weakness just like making eye contact. Nobody yields, ever.

Quote:
I have a friend who lives somewhere southwest of Boston, I think inside the 485 loop but I can't remember the town. He's not a native, but his wife is from Fall River. Talking to her, she's from "Fall Rivva", and that she once saw a "dee-ah" on the side of the road. Sounded kinda cool.

If they were talking to a Fall River native, they'd use "Fall Reeve". Similarly, New Bedford would be "New BehFuh" to you but "New Beige" to a native.

Old 01-04-2019, 12:15 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,571,080 times
Quote:
i'm honestly surprised that bang a u-ie is boston slang ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLcDQMQ3Urg

Old 01-04-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
"Bang a U-ie" and "Hang a U-ie" are interchangeable. "Bang a U-ie and hang a right at the next light" would be normal slang in eastern Massachusetts or Rhode Island.
I'm positive she said "set of lights" because at first I thought she'd said "satellites". As I said, it was hard to understand her, and she was young too, not an old time resident.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:27 PM

6,457 posts, read 7,793,546 times
I don't have an accent but think most people like it, including me. It adds character.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston