Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 06:54 AM

23,539 posts, read 18,678,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
I hope BC is NOT considered a party school. I doubt it, but...?
Always has been for as long as I can remember. Not to say that it isn't well rounded, it's no Florida State (or Zoo Mass of the 80s).

Yes, it is elite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2019, 07:12 AM

15,789 posts, read 20,483,047 times
Quote:

It's quite elite in recent decades, but crazy parties still occur on campus? Like a state school perhaps?

My nephew graduates this spring from there. I hope he's received a solid education for that high tuition..

I guess I'm simply old and naive?

It's always been elite. Used to see students roll up in brand new M3's or Benzs to their dorms. One guy was a prince of some country I never even heard of. Had a body guard shadow him everywhere.

But parties happened either in the dorms, the on-campus houses or some of the off-campus housing along Commonwealth Ave. Kids blow off steam and enjoy life. Still a solid school and everyone I know who graduated there has a good solid career today.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfa04 View Post
I ask about neighborhoods because I do not want to live in a dangerous area.
If you stay in the Huntington Ave area, don't go Southeast of Huntington @ longwood. All the other neighborhoods you listed are fine although can be rather expensive.

Good luck

Old 01-17-2019, 07:17 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Yeah let's also not forget that the acceptance rate at BC is 31%, Northeastern is 27%, and BU is 25% (according to US News and World Report). A pretty large majority of applicants to these schools get turned away. Definitely putting the cart before the horse to just assume you'll get accepted by any of them.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:20 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:

It's quite elite in recent decades, but crazy parties still occur on campus? Like a state school perhaps?

My nephew graduates this spring from there. I hope he's received a solid education for that high tuition..

I guess I'm simply old and naive?
I am a graduate of Ohio State, one of the largest state schools in the country. I used to live near lots of BC students, still not that far away now. Have gone to BC football games. BC looks like a high school in comparison to OSU.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:20 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,943,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Yeah let's also not forget that the acceptance rate at BC is 31%, Northeastern is 27%, and BU is 25% (according to US News and World Report). A pretty large majority of applicants to these schools get turned away. Definitely putting the cart before the horse to just assume you'll get accepted by any of them.

Northeastern plays the game well with numbers.

I don't know if BU does. It was a safety school for me and many others when I applied in the late 80s. Maybe its changed a great deal. I hear it has.

BC has always been tough.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:44 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
If you stay in the Huntington Ave area, don't go Southeast of Huntington @ longwood. All the other neighborhoods you listed are fine although can be rather expensive.

Good luck
The area between Tremont Street and Heath Street is pretty safe. Tremont Street itself has plenty of nice restaurants and bars, especially down by Brigham but even at the top of the hill.

The neighborhood is very popular with Northeastern students who want to live off campus.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
The area between Tremont Street and Heath Street is pretty safe. Tremont Street itself has plenty of nice restaurants and bars, especially down by Brigham but even at the top of the hill.

The neighborhood is very popular with Northeastern students who want to live off campus.
It was popular when I was there circa 99-03 as well, but hopefully things have changed in almost 20 years (damn I feel old) . Parker Hill Ave was where I spent a considerable amount of time walking to/from.

This thread reminds me of Flannigan's on Huntington Ave and their 10 cent wings until 7PM. I miss that place (close down mid/late 00's)

Old 01-17-2019, 11:00 AM

18,715 posts, read 33,376,773 times
If privacy is a strong interest for OP, maybe there are private rooms on campus for a fee? I agree on comments about neighborhoods for safety, but oh the prices! Best wishes to OP in their studies and move to the city I arrived in at age 20 and left at age 65.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:02 AM

18,715 posts, read 33,376,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
It was popular when I was there circa 99-03 as well, but perhaps things have changed in almost 20 years (damn I feel old) . Parker Hill Ave was where I spent a considerable amount of time walking to/from.
I worked at the foot of Parker Hill Ave some years ago and the neighborhood was very dicey, even though there were a lot of students around. I gather it's improved over time/expense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston