Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 10:16 AM

3,169 posts, read 2,091,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Agreed. I think the new liquor license laws were designed to encourage more bars/clubs in the outer neighborhoods (it's why Redd's in Rossie closed - they felt that preventing licenses from leaving neighborhoods devalued the licenses).
To be fair... there were many other reasons why he closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2019, 10:45 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,838,343 times
I honestly don't know if moving the closing time back really helps much. I've lived in places, like Chicago, which has a bunch of places that close much later and all it seems to do is move the starting time of partying back, and starting times of sets back for live music.

Old 02-15-2019, 10:58 AM

12,731 posts, read 21,879,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
To be fair... there were many other reasons why he closed.
True, but it's one of the biggest reasons he cited. He's got Dragon Pizza in Davis now which is amazing and since that's my neck of the woods, I can't be too upset about the results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I honestly don't know if moving the closing time back really helps much. I've lived in places, like Chicago, which has a bunch of places that close much later and all it seems to do is move the starting time of partying back, and starting times of sets back for live music.
Fair enough, Dublin is known as a pretty big nightlife hub and bars close up there 12:30 on weekends (though enforcement of last call is far more relaxed over there). Even London has a 1am last call. But what London does (and maybe Boston can offer) is allow places to apply for individual/special licenses that allow them to stay open and serve much later than that (I believe there are some 24 hour licenses there).

But I still don't see an issue with moving last call later. You stretch the night longer that way and give people options. It's not as if you can't go out in NYC, Chicago, or Montreal and have a good time before midnight. But it's nice to have the option to be out later if you want. The problem with Boston's 2am last call is that most places stop letting people in by 1 (if not earlier), which means you have to be out the door by 11ish to get a few hours at the bar/club before the night's over.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:29 PM

23,296 posts, read 18,454,689 times
Quote:
Honestly, just having bars close AT last call instead of 1/2 hour to an hour early would be an improvement. That's such a Boston thing. "Oh, last call is 2am? Let's stop serving people at 1 and start pushing people out at 1:30."
I never even realized that was a Boston thing, until I saw how it worked elsewhere. I guess it is an anti-DUI measure. I don't think extending it another hour will really make a difference though, Boston will still be Boston.

Quote:
The problem with Boston's 2am last call is that most places stop letting people in by 1 (if not earlier), which means you have to be out the door by 11ish to get a few hours at the bar/club before the night's over.
Always found that especially annoying.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:31 PM

Plenty of other cities have last call. It's hardly a Boston thing. Happens all over the upper Midwest at least.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I never even realized that was a Boston thing, until I saw how it worked elsewhere. I guess it is an anti-DUI measure. I don't think extending it another hour will really make a difference though, Boston will still be Boston.

Always found that especially annoying.
I've always heard the excuse that no bar wants to be THE bar where all the drunk people congregate at the end of the night so the stop letting people in well ahead of last call. Not sure what the truth is there, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Quote:
Plenty of other cities have last call. It's hardly a Boston thing. Happens all over the upper Midwest at least.
Absolutely. Plenty of places do last call at, say, 2 and close at 3. But usually I see it advertised that way (not so sure about the Midwest, haven't been many places aside from Chicago and Minneapolis). Boston's weird about it though and it's unpredictable and sometimes frustrating. For example, Hennessy's (not a place I'd go to now, but it is a typical Boston bar in this regard) posts publicly that 2am is closing time and 2am is last call in Boston. There's nowhere on the website that says "last call 1am, close at 2am." They can and do stop serving anywhere from 12:30-1:55. They might be kicking people out at 1:30. There's a good chance that if you show up at 12:30 or 1, you may not even be let in. This is the typical Boston experience late at night. If they just post "Last Call at 1:30," it's easier to stomach.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Absolutely. Plenty of places do last call at, say, 2 and close at 3. Boston's weird about it though and it's unpredictable and sometimes frustrating. For example, Hennessy's (not a place I'd go to now, but it is a typical Boston bar in this regard) posts publicly that 2am is closing time and 2am is last call in Boston. There's nowhere on the website that says "last call 1am, close at 2am." They can and do stop serving anywhere from 12:30-1:55. They might be kicking people out at 1:30. There's a good chance that if you show up at 12:30 or 1, you may not even be let in. This is the typical Boston experience late at night. If they just post "Last Call at 1:30," it's easier to stomach.

Fair enough, but most places have a thing called "bar time" where the clock on the wall was a chunk faster than reality (usually 15-20 min), at least that used to be the case. Most of the time I'm out at 1am now its private venues though, so I don't run into it.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Fair enough, but most places have a thing called "bar time" where the clock on the wall was a chunk faster than reality (usually 15-20 min), at least that used to be the case. Most of the time I'm out at 1am now its private venues though, so I don't run into it.
Yeah, and in fairness, I'm almost never out till last call (even Boston's abbreviated one) anymore.

Old 02-15-2019, 03:00 PM

45 posts, read 31,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
The racism label is not true.
From my own experience travelling through some of the Southern states, Boston is nirvana compared to down there.
Boston probably got that from forced bussing. Just think how you would feel if you mortgaged your life savings on a house in a town with good schools then were told 'sorry we're sending your kids to Dorchester" (I'm from Dorchester for perspective)
Some of the things said to me down south were shocking. They must have assumed because I'm white that I think like them. You'd think a Boston guy would take it in stride but I never heard things like that up here.
Lol oh the northeast. A place where they live in a bubble. Not knowing a thing about the south. Only what Hollywood tells them.

The South is full of Latinos who live in the same areas as non Latinos here in Houston we live amogst each other. We are used to it. I'm a latino. I can see the mixing. The northeast never has to deal with minorities ESPECIALLY Latinos. U guys don't have the tolerance.

You might not be racist like they say. But you are def not tolerant. It's a culture shock to yous guys lol

Texas isn't racist. And Texas isn't the deep South.

Old 02-15-2019, 03:07 PM

17,379 posts, read 8,962,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey7 View Post
Lol oh the northeast. A place where they live in a bubble. Not knowing a thing about the south. Only what Hollywood tells them.

The South is full of Latinos who live in the same areas as non Latinos here in Houston we live amogst each other. We are used to it. I'm a latino. I can see the mixing. The northeast never has to deal with minorities ESPECIALLY Latinos. U guys don't have the tolerance.

You might not be racist like they say. But you are def not tolerant. It's a culture shock to yous guys lol

Texas isn't racist. And Texas isn't the deep South.
There's a significant Hispanic population in several northeast cities.

Hispanic population:

Houston, TX -- 44.8%

Lynn, MA -- 38.0%
Springfield, MA -- 43.2%
Holyoke, MA -- 50.0%
Chelsea, MA -- 65.6%
Lawrence, MA -- 77.1%

Providence, RI -- 41.7%
Central Falls, RI -- 63.8%

Waterbury, CT -- 36.7%
Bridgeport, CT -- 39.2%
New Britain, CT -- 40.7%
Hartford, CT -- 44.0%

Newark, NJ -- 34.4%
Paterson, NJ -- 60.3%
Elizabeth, NJ -- 63.1%
Passaic, NJ -- 72.1%
West New York, NJ -- 78.0%
Perth Amboy, NJ -- 81.7%
Union City, NJ -- 81.8%

Last edited by redplum33; 02-15-2019 at 04:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston