Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 06:21 PM

17,396 posts, read 8,969,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Is anyone else surprised the OP can't find an 800 sq foot place in Beacon Hill for 3k.
The OP said Beacon Hill is too expansive, not too expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2019, 07:55 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,615,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
A quite street in the Inman neighborhood is probably best.
She is prioritizing pretty. Inman Square has some of the noisiest dirtiest cross streets in Cambridge and Somerville. That bridge overlooking the body shops and junk yards going from Inman to Union Square is the ugliest spot in either town.

Old 03-15-2019, 09:32 PM

122 posts, read 167,049 times
How come nobody has mentioned Brookline? It's just as close to downtown Boston as western Cambridge and has a wide range of neighborhoods from quite urban to very suburban/exclusive with plenty in between. There is nowhere more "nice, calm, and beautiful" within 5 miles of downtown, IMO.

Old 03-17-2019, 04:44 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,848,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
She is prioritizing pretty. Inman Square has some of the noisiest dirtiest cross streets in Cambridge and Somerville. That bridge overlooking the body shops and junk yards going from Inman to Union Square is the ugliest spot in either town.

And it has some nice side streets as well. If someone is looking for nice looking, they simply won't choose that spot, or a noisy/busy cross street. Pretty easy to avoid.

\
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russbosma View Post
How come nobody has mentioned Brookline? It's just as close to downtown Boston as western Cambridge and has a wide range of neighborhoods from quite urban to very suburban/exclusive with plenty in between. There is nowhere more "nice, calm, and beautiful" within 5 miles of downtown, IMO.

Because they are working in Kendall. That's why.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:26 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,880,108 times
I wouldn't call Inman Square "pretty" or tranquil, either. There are nice, tranquil side streets in Jamaica Plain and Brookline, to be sure, as well as Newton, but you do pay a price for them..

Old 03-18-2019, 02:14 PM

12,737 posts, read 21,890,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I wouldn't call Inman Square "pretty" or tranquil, either. There are nice, tranquil side streets in Jamaica Plain and Brookline, to be sure, as well as Newton, but you do pay a price for them..
Agree to disagree on the first point, because I think there are plenty of side streets that fit the bill and have toured units on them. This is right off of Inman. So is this. And to the latter points about JP, Brookline and Newton - lovely areas that would make for less than ideal commutes to Kendall Square.

Old 04-09-2019, 03:38 PM

110 posts, read 109,211 times
I think the OP may have made a typo when she wrote of Beacon Hill as too "expansive." I think she does mean expensive. Dh and I looked at apartments on Beacon Hill. You would not believe how those beautiful facades belie what lies behind them. Filthy, cut up tiny frat-boy apartments! There are some beauties, of course, but an CL search of Beacon Hill will show you the mess! I won't even start with the parking!

Old 04-10-2019, 05:45 AM

3,170 posts, read 2,093,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Agree to disagree on the first point, because I think there are plenty of side streets that fit the bill and have toured units on them. This is right off of Inman. So is this. And to the latter points about JP, Brookline and Newton - lovely areas that would make for less than ideal commutes to Kendall Square.
Orange line to Mass ave 1 Bus is not a bad commute at all

Old 04-10-2019, 08:50 AM

12,737 posts, read 21,890,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
Orange line to Mass ave 1 Bus is not a bad commute at all
I think the time difference between Orange Line to the 1 or Orange to Red at Park would be pretty close in most cases. But still, you're looking in the ballpark of 45 minutes door to door each way for JP to Kendall. Not the worst, but why would you do it if you can walk from near Inman or do it via one-seat ride in about 20 - 25 minutes from Harvard/Porter/Davis?

Old 04-10-2019, 10:03 AM

3,170 posts, read 2,093,998 times
True. it's not like you will find a deal in either location these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston