Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2019, 11:51 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,113,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Depends. Good beers, say Trillium level (though I'm not a fan), or the like are just super expensive to buy for bars. A $9/12oz pour is going to happen for that stuff.

I'd cry too if the best choice I had was a Sam Adams beer. And then, I wouldn't drink beer, no matter how cheap it was.
I'm fine with having a $9 Trillium on tap, as long as you also have a $3 high life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2019, 01:17 PM

6,804 posts, read 6,025,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I'd cry too if the best choice I had was a Sam Adams beer. And then, I wouldn't drink beer, no matter how cheap it was.
I mean, it doesn't really matter how you personally feel about the drink. The point is that the same bottle would cost more than twice that in Boston.

Old 04-26-2019, 05:46 PM

24,555 posts, read 18,225,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
I'm fine with having a $9 Trillium on tap, as long as you also have a $3 high life
That’s like making love in a canoe.

Old 04-27-2019, 10:34 AM

12,817 posts, read 21,988,267 times
I think we can all agree that goods in the most expensive cities in the country, like Boston, are more expensive than other cities. Silver lining? Paying for stuff at “pricey” places outside of these cities (I.e. Disney, much of Europe, resorts, etc.) is less soul crushing for people from Boston than it is for others. We were in Iceland a few weeks ago and the place has a reputation for being expensive. The reputation is true. But we weren’t as shocked as the couples around us in the bars and restaurants who were from places like Kansas City, Dallas, and Tampa. Honestly the $10-11 beers at bars there weren’t too far off from $9/10 beers here. When you factor in that tip/service is included there, it was almost a wash. Food/drink at a ski resorts in New England is priced at Boston levels. Fine for us, but locals won’t touch it.

Old 04-27-2019, 08:54 PM

20 posts, read 17,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diegomar2007 View Post
This is an assessment of my experience during my 7 years living in the City of Boston (not the suburbs). I know that many Bostonians feel offended when a transplant criticizes their beloved city. To all of them, my sincere apologies. However, I’ll be very candid because I feel that I have to say this for the benefit of many considering a move to Boston.

ABOUT ME:
Latino gay male, American citizen, light skin (that's important for many), green eyes, straight hair, 42 years old, Master's Degree, decent employment, and living in one of the most beautiful neighborhoods of the city.

MY ASSESSMENT:
1) The city has a tremendous racial disproportion: 45% of the population is white alone (not Hispanic or Latino), Blacks or African-Americans 25%... Latinos 19%... Asian 10%... Other races are less than 10%. I am getting fed up with all of that.

2) The default race on dating apps is white. Open Tinder, Growlr, Ok Cupid... you name it. I’m very lucky with whites in the dating department, but get frustrated when I don’t find more out of that pool at my same level.

3) Most Latinos fit the typical stereotype of a Latino. Very poor living from government assistance or working in low skills service jobs, and segregated to neighborhoods infested with crime. I love the sitcom Blackish. Do you know why? Because it portrays a middle class, professional, and educated black family out of the typical stereotype of poverty and low educational attainment. I wish I could see that in the City of Boston… never seen that in 7 years living here. The problem’s fault? BOSTON, not Trump, not Obama, not any political party. The elitism in this city is abominable and disgusting. Bunch of hypocrite liberals.

4) I visit the public schools of the city often as part of my job. The schools are another example of racial disproportion, but in the opposite way. The schools are basically for minorities who cannot afford better choices. The quality of public schools in Boston is really bad and a shame for a place that boasts of being “the Athens of America.”

5) Boston is too expensive, but this is much more than saying it's too expensive... it's ridiculously overpriced even when my purchasing power allows me to live comfortably... the prices are absurd. I still prefer to live in the city because I don’t find the suburbs as a better option for me as a single person. Suburbs are for families and couples. At the end, most of the entertainment, attractions and the economy revolves around the city. People move to the suburbs looking for cheaper housing and they end paying what they save in gas and commuting costs to the city because Boston is the epicenter of the region.

6) The gay scene is getting worse. There have been some bar closures during the past 7 years without replacement. The most recent was Paradise in Cambridge in September 2018. I was reading a recent article from the Globe about is a long time nightclub in the Fenway area on Boylston St that its days are counted because the new owner wants the building for student housing. The scene is much better in Providence or seasonal in Provincetown.

7) The gay parade is a joke. It’s a bland corporate rally. It doesn’t look like a festival pride parade. Rhode Island does it much better, and NYC is fabulous. I feel as if gays in Boston are trying to fit into

8) I don’t go out as often as before. I feel that I already experienced what I wanted to see from Boston, and now I’m seeing its ugly and real part.

9) Bostonians are cold. It’s understandable from a major city, but even in small neighborhoods like mine, most people don’t make eye contact.

10) After 7 years of living in the city, I conclude that Boston is a small town with superiority complex and crumbling infrastructure. Bostonians are fixed in their glorious past.

I was born and raised here and that is an absolutely correct assessment. A big town with a superiority complex and **** weather.

Old 04-28-2019, 03:29 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,401,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polly2019 View Post
...that is an absolutely correct assessment. A big town with a superiority complex and **** weather.
In your other thread your original posts states "I enjoy Mass" and "it seems stupid to throw away all the benefits of Mass". I'm curious what you like actually about Mass? You seem to be jumping in lots of threads generally hating on the area, beyond just the weather.

Last edited by porterhouse; 04-28-2019 at 03:47 PM..

Old 04-28-2019, 08:01 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,430,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
In your other thread your original posts states "I enjoy Mass" and "it seems stupid to throw away all the benefits of Mass". I'm curious what you like actually about Mass? You seem to be jumping in lots of threads generally hating on the area, beyond just the weather.
Well, I could certainly see liking Massachusetts as a state but not caring for Boston, if that is the poster's position.

Old 04-29-2019, 10:12 AM

24,555 posts, read 18,225,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Well, I could certainly see liking Massachusetts as a state but not caring for Boston, if that is the poster's position.

That's not the OP's position. He wants a couple hundred thousand affluent gay latinos to go clubbing with. Austin, Tx would be better for that very narrow demographic.

Old 04-29-2019, 10:17 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,430,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
That's not the OP's position. He wants a couple hundred thousand affluent gay latinos to go clubbing with. Austin, Tx would be better for that very narrow demographic.
I was referring to polly2019, not OP.

Old 04-30-2019, 05:30 AM

21,619 posts, read 12,710,234 times
Bears in Baltimore are like $3.50. Most expensive being $6/7 and going down to $1. at seedy joints/terrible beer/seedy happy hour. $2/2.50Natty Bohs are the norm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston