Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 09:41 AM

23,546 posts, read 18,693,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
As per usual the only people who dont agree with him are white or Miu.

Black's and Latinos in Boston have such a separate joint culture that if you are raised in it it's hard to even say it's the margins...Blacks and Latinos are equal to the white population of the city so it's hard to say it's the margins..it's just separate and as a 42 year old professional who is a transplant -so it will come off as marginal...

My father used to say "typical stodgy unfun Boston white people " is not that boston is so white is that the white people (mostly the elected officials) here seem to hate fun. Everything is so expensive there no way for anyone minority to do anything independent of white money and rule. You have to be rich and white and conventional to really partake in Boston as an active participant.

White people in Boston are quick to tell people who come from more diverse places if you don't like it then leave and are always on the defensive. 9/10 POC who are back or Latino have gripes when they comment on this board, posters react as the pols do. They want to tell you the situation of fine and you're being unfair. It's just the Epitome of smugmess and arrogance that everyone hates about Boston.

So long as the economy work for white residents and Bostons ghettos (because that's what they are) don't look like baltimore or Newark posters will sit on their smug a**es and proclaim success and crap on other locale. And mocking educated man for wanting more diverse dating options, despicable. It's the biggest embarrassment of Boston...
Can you give an example of how 2019 Boston is working to keep minorities in their "place"??? OP is clearly of privilege himself, and would not have come to Boston in the first place if it didn't offer some particular opportunity. Am I the only person who sees irony in that situation? His gripes are with the social structure. OK, I guess as a "privileged" white Bostonian you can go ahead and blame me for that. Whatever.

I moved out of Boston and Mass. for better opportunity, to a place that is very different (for both better and worse). Do I sit around here and complain because it's missing ____ that I enjoyed in Mass. Absolutely not. I realize I am free to move back whenever I choose, and who in their right mind would criticize a place that has worked to their advantage in any one way.

Grass is always greener...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 09:46 AM

41,937 posts, read 36,951,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
who in their right mind would criticize a place that has worked to their advantage in any one way

Anyone with a right mind and a modicum of self awareness should be able to see the faults in a region (or a system), and criticize those faults, even while realizing the may benefit of it. Benefiting from something does not mean one cannot criticize it, nor that one shouldn't criticize it. A person in their right mind would realize one does not follow the other.

Old 04-05-2019, 09:58 AM

875 posts, read 663,643 times
OP - to be fair, the majority of the issues that you noted would be readily available in advance of moving here with minimal research.

Cant have been THAT bad if you lasted 7 years.

How about Austin, San Diego, Miami - might check more boxes?

Good luck

Old 04-05-2019, 10:09 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Did you read his post? He said he didn’t like the Latin culture in Boston because it was too poor for him. After reading that, you’re gonna turn around and call the rest of us elitist and snobby?

And I’m still not over the audacity of complaining about Boston’s cost of living while simultaneously admitting that he’s one of the ones paying a premium to live close to the city. Then blaming the city itself for the high rents. Like jeez.
He's not blaming the Latin community for it being poor, he's pointing out the lack of diversity in civic life and the segrgationist, classiest elitists hypocritical nature of Boston. The renewal marginalization of "other" groups. He's now seeing the "real and ugly part".

Old 04-05-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Can you give an example of how 2019 Boston is working to keep minorities in their "place"??? OP is clearly of privilege himself, and would not have come to Boston in the first place if it didn't offer some particular opportunity. Am I the only person who sees irony in that situation? His gripes are with the social structure. OK, I guess as a "privileged" white Bostonian you can go ahead and blame me for that. Whatever.

I moved out of Boston and Mass. for better opportunity, to a place that is very different (for both better and worse). Do I sit around here and complain because it's missing ____ that I enjoyed in Mass. Absolutely not. I realize I am free to move back whenever I choose, and who in their right mind would criticize a place that has worked to their advantage in any one way.

Grass is always greener...
I won't even bother. You don't want to believe or see it so that's fine. Almost every other black or Hispanic sees it's blatantly obvious, most people from out of state see it but yall don't see it. Convenient. I'll allow the echo chamber to reverberate and withdraw. Also it's ludicrous you're saying it obvious this gay Latino man is of privilege simply because he got an education and did well. That's messed up.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:22 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,038,878 times
Quote:
He's not blaming the Latin community for it being poor, he's pointing out the lack of diversity in civic life and the segrgationist, classiest elitists hypocritical nature of Boston. The renewal marginalization of "other" groups. He's now seeing the "real and ugly part".
I never said he was blaming the Latin community for being poor. Hey I said he was complaining that it was poor, or rather that no wealthy alternative existed. He would’ve been fine with the struggles of working class Latinos in Boston and the surrounding towns if a strong enough contingent of wealthy, white-collar Latinos existed in Cambridge.

Honestly his post comes off to me as being rather elitist. If you think the OP is a “champion of the people”, then I strongly disagree.

(Note, however, that I did agree in my first post on this thread with the OP that the BPS needs to be a lot better and that Boston could be doing a better job controlling its cost of living by allowing more affordable housing to be built. The rest of what he said such as the part about people not making eye contact or the gay community being too normal we’re pretty obnoxious.)

Old 04-05-2019, 10:35 AM

This is a post I got from a Black publication. It came out today. It had 63 likes. This is a national site. This is what black people think of Boston, generally. The entire post is filled Wigh comments like this. Someone asked me how does Boston keep minorities down, the answer is subtly.

Thai post was about a white woman in Quincy who lied about a young black man attacking her in a park.

https://www.theroot.com/white-woman-...tac-1833742433

"White people really do seem to wear blinders when white people commit the same crimes as POC. I live in MA. I watched local news yesterday. I think channel 10 talked about this for about all of 47 seconds, also didn’t give a name, and didn’t mention that she lied a bout it being a black dude. They only said that a woman filed a false report and that they found out after they checked cameras in the area.

Then a few minutes later they did a story about the racist who heckled DeMarcus Cousins at a Celtics game and got banned from the “Gaahden” for the next 2 years, including interviews where they asked white people on the street if they thought Boston fans were racist. Unsurprisingly, and somehow ironically, they all said no. I missed the rest of the news because I spent the rest of the time it was on cussing out my tv.

It was the perfect display of the obliviousness of white people in Boston. It never occurred to them that maybe they weren’t qualified to speak on something they don’t know. Of course they don’t see their racist ass friends and relatives as problems, because those friends and relatives don’t direct their racism and ignorance toward their own kind. Then when the racist is caught doing something racist they say we don’t REALLY know that person, and we don’t know what’s in that’s person’s heart. Of course not, because they’d rather show us their ass. This is why we judge people’s actions and not their hearts.

I think my point got away from me. Oh yeah, white obliviousness, double standard, Boston racism... So basically just another day that ends in “y.”"

That's just what it is folks. That's how the city is viewed by most. You can look the other way but it is what it is.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Anyone with a right mind and a modicum of self awareness should be able to see the faults in a region (or a system), and criticize those faults, even while realizing the may benefit of it. Benefiting from something does not mean one cannot criticize it, nor that one shouldn't criticize it. A person in their right mind would realize one does not follow the other.
I could have phrased it a little better, as there is nothing wrong with providing facts and objective criticism. To say that Boston is lacking I the educated professional Latino demographic is entirely fair game, and useful to potential relocates who fit that mold. However, OP made it a point to blame the city and its residents simply because the city's culture doesn't live up to his standards. Like I said, I take no offense to it. Coming from Boston myself, you just get used to hearing the same old criticisms over and over again and you just learn to laugh it off (and tell them good luck finding that paradise). But it does come across as immature, and suggests that the person has experienced limited places (L.A. or Dallas might be better for the O.P. than Boston, but Birmingham and Buffalo sure as heck won't be)

Old 04-05-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
This is a post I got from a Black publication. It came out today. It had 63 likes. This is a national site. This is what black people think of Boston, generally. The entire post is filled Wigh comments like this. Someone asked me how does Boston keep minorities down, the answer is subtly.

Thai post was about a white woman in Quincy who lied about a young black man attacking her in a park.

https://www.theroot.com/white-woman-...tac-1833742433

"White people really do seem to wear blinders when white people commit the same crimes as POC. I live in MA. I watched local news yesterday. I think channel 10 talked about this for about all of 47 seconds, also didn’t give a name, and didn’t mention that she lied a bout it being a black dude. They only said that a woman filed a false report and that they found out after they checked cameras in the area.

Then a few minutes later they did a story about the racist who heckled DeMarcus Cousins at a Celtics game and got banned from the “Gaahden” for the next 2 years, including interviews where they asked white people on the street if they thought Boston fans were racist. Unsurprisingly, and somehow ironically, they all said no. I missed the rest of the news because I spent the rest of the time it was on cussing out my tv.

It was the perfect display of the obliviousness of white people in Boston. It never occurred to them that maybe they weren’t qualified to speak on something they don’t know. Of course they don’t see their racist ass friends and relatives as problems, because those friends and relatives don’t direct their racism and ignorance toward their own kind. Then when the racist is caught doing something racist they say we don’t REALLY know that person, and we don’t know what’s in that’s person’s heart. Of course not, because they’d rather show us their ass. This is why we judge people’s actions and not their hearts.

I think my point got away from me. Oh yeah, white obliviousness, double standard, Boston racism... So basically just another day that ends in “y.”"

That's just what it is folks. That's how the city is viewed by most. You can look the other way but it is what it is.

OK so anecdotes. I bet you 100% that if you google any major city in the USA, you can come up with an equal number or more of similar so stories to fit your narrative. It still doesn't support the idea that 2019 Boston is actively or subtly working to keep minorities down, yes it has done its misdeeds in the past as pretty much every city has. Then there are other things that have influenced the culture, like having a higher proportion of whites (Irish, Italian, Greek, etc.) and that held out longer than many other cities. That doesn't make the city inherently more racist than anywhere else.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
I could have phrased it a little better, as there is nothing wrong with providing facts and objective criticism. To say that Boston is lacking I the educated professional Latino demographic is entirely fair game, and useful to potential relocates who fit that mold. However, OP made it a point to blame the city and its residents simply because the city's culture doesn't live up to his standards. Like I said, I take no offense to it. Coming from Boston myself, you just get used to hearing the same old criticisms over and over again and you just learn to laugh it off (and tell them good luck finding that paradise). But it does come across as immature, and suggests that the person has experienced limited places (L.A. or Dallas might be better for the O.P. than Boston, but Birmingham and Buffalo sure as heck won't be)
Agreed on all fronts. But you posted earlier you're unaware of how Boston holds minorities back in 2019. Be reflective for 2 seconds and think about why LA and Dallas are better than Boston for Latinos...Hint:it's not the Latinos fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston