Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 08:00 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Something about this just doesn't sound right. Has nobody gotten a comment from the people accused? I am sure they have a different take/story entirely. But we'll see.
Any time any th ing like this happens some whit e people wilm say "I have a hard time believing" or "it doesn't sound right". It's comic relief at this point because it's so expected. Of course it happened and of course some white people have a hard time believing it-like it matters...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2019, 08:20 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,115,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Of course it happened
you are stating a fact. Without any evidence. You do realize that right?

Old 05-28-2019, 08:26 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,520,876 times
Quote:
this IS who we are.
Hopefully not forever.

Old 05-28-2019, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
I'm not, seeing as the museum came to these findings after interviews and surveillance review. They identified 2 culprits within a few days and banned them. The culprits did not protest publicly..but let's play your game...

Let's say I am, We do this Multiple times a day in daily life-what's your point?

Old 05-28-2019, 08:30 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,434,904 times
Quote:
Any time any th ing like this happens some whit e people wilm say "I have a hard time believing" or "it doesn't sound right". It's comic relief at this point because it's so expected. Of course it happened and of course some white people have a hard time believing it-like it matters...
thank god we have the voice for all minorities on this forum to put me in my place.

seriously, you say the downright dumbest stuff sometimes. "of course it happened." LOL get a grip dude. So I guess you've talked to the people accused here? Or is corroboration a white thing?

Old 05-28-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
no, he doesn't. nor does he care.

Old 05-28-2019, 08:32 AM

A teacher chaperoning the trip had said that students reported being told by a staff member that “no food, no drink, and no watermelon” were allowed in the museum. The museum said that the “employee who greeted the group recalled relaying as part of standard operating procedures that ‘no food, no drink and no water bottles’ were allowed in the galleries,’ and that “there is no way to definitively confirm or deny what was said or heard in the galleries.”

yeah you're right. They did investigate.

Old 05-28-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
A teacher chaperoning the trip had said that students reported being told by a staff member that “no food, no drink, and no watermelon” were allowed in the museum. The museum said that the “employee who greeted the group recalled relaying as part of standard operating procedures that ‘no food, no drink and no water bottles’ were allowed in the galleries,’ and that “there is no way to definitively confirm or deny what was said or heard in the galleries.”

yeah you're right. They did investigate.
I have no reason to believe the people trying to save their job. That's who you choose to believe.

What your exhibiting is unconscious bias against a group that is not in power and an unconscious bias against black people.

Often times when looking atemwbers of a group other than our own our trust is lower because we do not have as much of a bond or connection with that group. Generally we are less experienced with said group and less inclined to believe them especially if aided by stereotypical narrative in the media. As a result you choose to believe that this didn't happen. All points by the victimized group and the MFA finding indicate otherwise.

It's just your choice to negate their experience. It's your choice to not believe, so naturally you should be aski g yourself why are you making that choice. Your also highlighting one indefinite instance and debasing the teacher and the kids in the process. I know the Davis well and can couch for the character of the staff and students. You are Ignoring other parts of the story and I don't have any reason to believe they said no water bottles instead of no watermelon.

Old 05-28-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:

What your exhibiting is unconscious bias against a group that is not in power and an unconscious bias against black people.

You are Ignoring other parts of the story and I don't have any reason to believe they said no water bottles instead of no watermelon.
But your bias is totally conscious?

You believe what you believe.

What i believe is... I have no idea what that guard said to those kids.
But you are 100% you do based on all these other factors that are not actually what happened.
There is the danger in your logic.

But you are not concerned with reasoning.

Data is inconclusive as far as anyone unbiased would look at it.

Old 05-28-2019, 08:56 AM

Here is the teacher's facebook page, if anyone wants to read exactly what she said: https://www.facebook.com/marvelyne.l...5%3A1559053999

You'll also notice on her page a link to a GoFundMe (https://www.gofundme.com/books-for-m...34gvjjICBFdZGs)

Since the undoubtedly true and completely accurate racist incident took place, $1323 has been donated to her project (buying books for her students). For several months prior, it had only managed a couple hundred bucks.

These are the only 2 posts publicly viewable on her page. Relevant? Maybe, maybe not.

As far as I know, none of the racists have been named. This stands in stark contrast to most other examples of racist incidents, where the offenders get doxxed quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston