Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 12:01 PM

983 posts, read 724,976 times

Advertisements

Please, check to see if your reps are supporting the following bills.
To see who your reps are: https://www.govtrack.us/congress/members#

The bills:
https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bil...hr2351/details
https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bil...hr3001/details
https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bil.../hr976/details
https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/115/s3385

Last edited by Mrpepelepeu; 06-04-2019 at 01:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 12:20 PM

12,845 posts, read 22,014,769 times
All the "bills" links are broken except for the last.

Also, a "bill to combat aviation noise and pollution" is contradictory in the case of Logan (and I'd imagine many other airports). The relatively recent increase complaints about airplane noise (last 5 years or so) have to do with the switch to new flight paths that are GPS based largely to increase efficiency and burn less fuel (thus reducing pollution). So if efforts in to move flight paths out from over places like Milton are successful you may may win on the "quiet" front, but you lose on the "pollution" front because the planes are taking more indirect routes and burning more fuel.

Old 06-04-2019, 12:58 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,119,515 times
There are so many people in my neighborhood who complain about this constantly on the message boards. It blows my mind because,no hyperbole here.. from 8am to 1am there is license plate rattling reggaton music, dirtbike, and fart can exhaust almost constantly in 2 min intervals. The airplane noise is actually soothing when i can hear it.

Old 06-04-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
There are so many people in my neighborhood who complain about this constantly on the message boards. It blows my mind because,no hyperbole here.. from 8am to 1am there is license plate rattling reggaton music, dirtbike, and fart can exhaust almost constantly in 2 min intervals. The airplane noise is actually soothing when i can hear it.
Two of the bills are not related just to aviation but to noise in general. They want to bring back an office at the EPA that used to control noise. They removed in the early 80's.

Old 06-04-2019, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
All the "bills" links are broken except for the last.

Also, a "bill to combat aviation noise and pollution" is contradictory in the case of Logan (and I'd imagine many other airports). The relatively recent increase complaints about airplane noise (last 5 years or so) have to do with the switch to new flight paths that are GPS based largely to increase efficiency and burn less fuel (thus reducing pollution). So if efforts in to move flight paths out from over places like Milton are successful you may may win on the "quiet" front, but you lose on the "pollution" front because the planes are taking more indirect routes and burning more fuel.
Thank you. I fixed the links.

The "burning less fuel" is so insignificant that you can discard it. Emissions are falling on people regardless how efficient they claim to be.

Old 06-04-2019, 01:42 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,493,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
The relatively recent increase complaints about airplane noise (last 5 years or so) have to do with the switch to new flight paths that are GPS based largely to increase efficiency and burn less fuel (thus reducing pollution).

It's funny that complaints have increased. I lived fairly close to the airport for most of my life and can tell you about the 80's and 90's when houses would rattle when a big plane would come in or a jet would hit max reverse thrust on a rainy day. The latest gen planes really are much quieter to the point where even flying directly overhead, you could learn to ignore them.

Unless, of course, you live in a fancy neighborhood and don't want to see commercial jets stacking up over your house on their way into logan. You buy a house near an airport that's been there since the 40's...what do you expect?

Next gen airplane engines are already gaining efficiency. One of the main driver's of aviation cost is fuel and engines are getting more efficient all the time due to commercial demand. Wing shapes and/or winglets are also engineered ideas designed at reducing drag and gaining efficiency and these concepts are being implemented on the latest gen jets. What else would this bill do to drive that change?

Old 06-04-2019, 07:49 PM

604 posts, read 561,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
People on the internet love to complain

Old 06-04-2019, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
It's funny that complaints have increased. I lived fairly close to the airport for most of my life and can tell you about the 80's and 90's when houses would rattle when a big plane would come in or a jet would hit max reverse thrust on a rainy day. The latest gen planes really are much quieter to the point where even flying directly overhead, you could learn to ignore them.

Unless, of course, you live in a fancy neighborhood and don't want to see commercial jets stacking up over your house on their way into logan. You buy a house near an airport that's been there since the 40's...what do you expect?

Next gen airplane engines are already gaining efficiency. One of the main driver's of aviation cost is fuel and engines are getting more efficient all the time due to commercial demand. Wing shapes and/or winglets are also engineered ideas designed at reducing drag and gaining efficiency and these concepts are being implemented on the latest gen jets. What else would this bill do to drive that change?
Call your reps to ask them to cosponsor and you'll find out soon enough.

Old 06-05-2019, 06:58 AM

23,548 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Quote:
Exactly.

Old 06-05-2019, 07:50 AM

Quote:

In the 80's and 90's there was a fraction of the amount of passengers/airplanes there are now.
It used to be one airplane passing by every now and then. Now it's every minute, literally.
Do you know what that emission does to our children's lungs and brains?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ffic-globally/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston