Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 06:53 AM

7 posts, read 9,310 times

Advertisements

I'm new to Boston from NJ. I am looking to buy a condo in dorchester (I think this area still has room for appreciation as gentrification continues, and I hate high rent). Dorchester seems to have and still is changing rapdily over the past few years. I have found a couple of potential places.

15 bullard st, and 39 rosseter st. Are these areas safe to live? I know they are black neighborhoods, black is not inherently unsafe, so please dont start. I understand bowdoin-geneva was/is? a violent gang area and these 2 addresses are just south of there. Have things changed? When I went to the area they did not seem bad at all, but time of day certainly can affect things. Any input?

Yes I know there may be more desirable areas in dorchester, however I am on a very stringent timeline and there really isn't much available right now that would suit my needs. Thanks for any insight you guys can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2019, 11:01 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,833,620 times
Well, Mt Bowdoin was a fashionable enclave in the 19th century with its stop on the Boston & Providence RR, so there's that. Mt Bowdoin Green looks nice even today with a mansion or two left over from those times. The T commuter rail stop, Four Corners/Geneva, is what some people are hopefully calling the Indigo line, hoping, that is, for connection with the T subway system. There's always talk at least of converting the line to electric cars, which is standard on NJ Transit but not yet on the MBTA commuter rail lines. As it is the rail takes you up to South Station in minutes. I'd think the Rosseter St location would be better than Bullard.

Old 06-16-2019, 12:55 PM

17,677 posts, read 9,155,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
Well, Mt Bowdoin was a fashionable enclave in the 19th century with its stop on the Boston & Providence RR, so there's that. Mt Bowdoin Green looks nice even today with a mansion or two left over from those times. The T commuter rail stop, Four Corners/Geneva, is what some people are hopefully calling the Indigo line, hoping, that is, for connection with the T subway system. There's always talk at least of converting the line to electric cars, which is standard on NJ Transit but not yet on the MBTA commuter rail lines. As it is the rail takes you up to South Station in minutes. I'd think the Rosseter St location would be better than Bullard.
Interesting but not really what the OP is looking for.

Old 06-16-2019, 06:48 PM

7 posts, read 9,310 times
It somewhat helped. After investigating some more, I beleive 15 bullard is is too rough of a street. 39 rosseter seems quiet, but its also just steps from a really rough area. I'm probably going to steer away from both. I found a decent place on Jones Hill last second that seems like it will work.

Old 06-16-2019, 08:29 PM

17,677 posts, read 9,155,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandog712 View Post
I'm probably going to steer away from both.
I think that's a good idea.

Old 06-16-2019, 08:57 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,833,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I think that's a good idea.
No doubt that Jones Hill is better than Rosseter or Bullard. Good luck OP!

Old 06-18-2019, 07:07 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Those are not the worse part of Dorchester. Jones Hill Will be marginally better than Bullard or Rosseter but not by that much. You say you’re liking to buy but hen mention you hate high rent so I’m a bit confused..what’s your rental budget and what’s your purchasing budget?

I wouldn’t pay more than 2.2k in rent for a 2BR in those area and would preferably try to grab one at 1900 or 2k. Also are your building renovated? Many apartments and condos in the heart of the inner city are pretty run down inside despite looking nice outside.

Most bad neighborhoods on Boston look okay, until you hang out in the area for a day. Then the picture start to reveal itself pretty quickly. Folks pushing shopping carts, kids cussing, blaring car stereo, noisy neighbors, sirens, traffic and you’ll come across some needles and a few menancing type individuals.

Overall though, I think it’s not too bad-and for the right price I’d go for it. If you were talking further west it’d be a hard no.

Old 06-19-2019, 02:19 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,546,433 times
The sad thing is that even in the 'bad' neighborhoods housing doesn't come cheap. It seems like some people still pay to live in them because they're desperate to be closer to the city to have a better commute into work. It's crazy to me what people will pay. Not to mentions BPS is terrible..and the mbta which most people living in boston take to work. SO not worth it and i cant wait to move out this dump. If you're rich boston might be a good place to live. For middle class or even upper middle it's not a good scene, particularly if you have kids.

Old 06-19-2019, 02:27 PM

604 posts, read 560,920 times
I would imagine that "bad" neighborhoods are a much much higher percentage of renters. Hence income generation which leads to a higher worth for the house.

Old 06-19-2019, 02:31 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,546,433 times
there are lot of buyers in dorchester, even in the so called bad neighborhoods
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston