Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2019, 02:18 PM

21,626 posts, read 12,710,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Definitely Singh’s would do well to expand and find a larger space to create more of a real dining experience but you know of better trini spots than Singh’s? They make some of the most authentic food outside of trini. Seriously it’s tough to find better Palourie, Pelau and curry dishes than Singh’s. My trini wife swears by them.

Boston needs more spots in those areas and Jah know there needs to be more liquor licenses for black and brown owned businesses, but something I appreciate about Boston is that while there may be less of those places at least the ones that are open are the real deal and not dumbed down for American tastes. I’ve lived in cities with massive West Indian populations but the majority of what they put out is toned down, beginner eater bull**** that us born and bred West Indians would spit out if it showed up in our plate back home. I respect that a lot of the restaurants in Boston keep it real regardless, even though that may not be the best business plan at the end of the day.
I prefer D Coal Pot and Ali’s Roti. But I didn’t know you were talking Trini specifically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 02:28 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I prefer D Coal Pot and Ali’s Roti. But I didn’t know you were talking Trini specifically.
The best rotis I've had are Trini, just as Jamaicans do curried goat the best from what I've had anyway. But anyhow, that is definitely one of Boston's strengths and would be surprised if Atlanta had better.

Old 08-21-2019, 02:32 PM

21,626 posts, read 12,710,234 times
Quote:
Definitely Singh’s would do well to expand and find a larger space to create more of a real dining experience but you know of better trini spots than Singh’s? They make some of the most authentic food outside of trini. Seriously it’s tough to find better Palourie, Pelau and curry dishes than Singh’s. My trini wife swears by them.

Boston needs more spots in those areas and Jah know there needs to be more liquor licenses for black and brown owned businesses, but something I appreciate about Boston is that while there may be less of those places at least the ones that are open are the real deal and not dumbed down for American tastes. I’ve lived in cities with massive West Indian populations but the majority of what they put out is toned down, beginner eater bull**** that us born and bred West Indians would spit out if it showed up in our plate back home. I respect that a lot of the restaurants in Boston keep it real regardless, even though that may not be the best business plan at the end of the day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
The best rotis I've had are Trini, just as Jamaicans do curried goat the best from what I've had anyway. But anyhow, that is definitely one of Boston's strengths and would be surprised if Atlanta had better.
Are rotis even jamaican. When I see them in Jamaicans spots I just assume they’re putting it on their because their popular and delicious not because they’re Jamaican.

Old 08-21-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:
I'm not West Indian but my favorite Jamaican I personally had was from a place in Worcester that I would go out of my way for, an exceptionally slow one-woman operation but everything was homemade and DELICIOUS. Not sure how authentic it qualified as, but was super high on the flavor content and certainly not watered down. Problem was, the place was never busy and closed up a few years ago. Meanwhile, there is another very bleh Jamaican place a few blocks over, that is still around after all these years and going strong. What gives...

Old 08-21-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Are rotis even jamaican. When I see them in Jamaicans spots I just assume they’re putting it on their because their popular and delicious not because they’re Jamaican.
I didn't think so either, probably akin to Japanese restaurants serving egg rolls and crab Rangoon.

Old 08-24-2019, 11:38 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,520,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
I suppose Boston did not annex as many cities as it could have, if allowed. It acquired Charlestown, Roxbury, Dorchester and others, but it doesn’t matter. For that matter, independent cities and towns such as Cambridge, Somerville, Brookline, etc. and much inside and around 128 are all part of “Boston,” for all intents and purposes.
Boston did have the opportunity to annex everything within 10 miles of the State House in 1912, but the city decided not to because they were racist against Irish people. Only a couple decades later the Irish ruled Boston. Boston would be 327 square miles today and have about 2.1 million people, the 5th largest in the US.

Old 08-25-2019, 05:39 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,833,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
Boston did have the opportunity to annex everything within 10 miles of the State House in 1912, but the city decided not to because they were racist against Irish people. Only a couple decades later the Irish ruled Boston. Boston would be 327 square miles today and have about 2.1 million people, the 5th largest in the US.
That doesn't make sense. The city was full of Irish Americans in 1910; the mayor, John F. Fitzgerald, was Irish.

Old 08-25-2019, 10:55 AM

14,008 posts, read 14,992,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhill View Post
That doesn't make sense. The city was full of Irish Americans in 1910; the mayor, John F. Fitzgerald, was Irish.
It was the Suburbs that were protestant at the time. It’s the main reason Brookline isn’t Boston the English didn’t want to be ruled by the Irish.

Old 08-29-2019, 07:21 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,317,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post

2. The housing stock is old. I'm not sure whether its municipal laws, mafia kickbacks or other barriers, but a lot of the housing that would have been torn down and rebuilt 2x or 3x over in other large cities of the same approximate age tend to persist in Boston. This is slowly changing in some areas (like Revere) and absent in some of the farther flung suburbs but in all likelihood if you aren't forking over $2.5k+ for rent then you're going to live in a 3rd floor loft built in 1920 with no forced air ducting, tiny bathrooms and a 50/50 chance that eating the paint chips will give you lead poisoning. Lots of the neighborhoods i stayed in or drove through reminded me of New Jersey (a state I dislike).

I know I'm a bit late to this one, but one other thing to consider here is that what you consider old and rickety is in fact preferred and desired by some in the Boston area, myself included. I find Victorian rowhouses charming. The plaster ceiling medallions, old bannisters, doors, flooring, wrought ironwork, and so on. A lot of that stuff isn't made anymore, so it can't just be replaced. I would venture to say most units have been brought up to code in the last 30 years, but adding modern amenities like central HVAC can be very expensive and difficult in a shared building if it wasn't done when converting from a single-family into condos. If your neighbors aren't on-board, it can even be impossible.

One of the biggest tragedies I see when I go looking at open houses is when I see a remodeled unit whose interior looks like the unholy love child of a HGTV program and an IKEA showroom.

It's also fine that you don't share those interests. Different strokes for different folks. Indeed, Boston might not be for you any more than Atlanta isn't for me.

For comparison, I was in Suwanee, GA last year and I found the homes there to be very much not to my liking. It was like being in town full of McMansions, laid out in planned neighborhoods like something out of Edward Scissorhands, and lived in by Chrisley wannabees. I could not in 100 years see myself ever living in such a town. However, it is obvious some people find that life very attractive.

Old 08-29-2019, 01:54 PM

2,077 posts, read 1,121,751 times
^^^^^

That, times a hundred.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston