Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 07:17 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,452,032 times

Advertisements

To be fair, quite a lot of Cambridge (most) is not Central Square and gets pretty leafy and suburban pretty quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2019, 07:58 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,045,258 times
^ Doesn’t change the fact that leaving Downtown or Back Bay to go to Cambridge isn’t a bigger trip than leaving Center City to get to University City like Maddie has been implying.

Remember this whole conversation started when that poster insisted they shouldn’t have to leave Boston proper to find good food.

Bostonborn brought up a good point earlier, saying that from a residents perspective the southern neighborhoods in Boston should have better offerings. I agree with him on that.

However from a tourist’s perspective (like Maddie), there shouldn’t be any hang ups over venturing into Cambridge or Somerville for food or entertainment.

Old 08-20-2019, 08:50 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,573,907 times
sorry for sounding condescending. i debate with my friends the same way while talking about preseason basketball.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie104 View Post
What's with the big overreaction/offense and then insulting comment to an innocuous comment? I don't know if cambridge/somerville is a "city", "town" or suburb, nor do I care. Where did I imply Cambridge is like King of Prussia? You really think I am concerned about the history of Boston's failure to annex these towns? Please, don't tire yourselves from explaining to out of towners.
you brought up regional rail lines.
Quote:
To me YOUR post was obtuse:

the t goes to somerville, cambridge, quincy, ... unlike philly whose broad street line/market street line are finite within the city borders for some reason.

I was simply explaining why the broad street line/market street line terminate at the city's boundaries and that there is public transportation beyond into the suburbs.

Philly has the regional trains from center city to the suburbs.
i brought up the t because i cant think of any suburbs that have subway stops ? subways tend to be a very urban characteristic as well as population density.
Quote:
But, Philly's restaurant scene is large enough within the city boundaries. No need to go beyond.
no offense but my opinion is that it is weird to draw imaginary lines for tax jurisdiction purposes and communities within or outside the lines are magically city x-or suburb.
Quote:

But, taking it from a Bostonian point-of-view, I guess that was your attempt at a dig toward Philly mass transit. Should I taken that as an insult? Who knows why it was even brought up?

You are the one to bring Philly into it; not me.

Get over yourselves. I'm done here.
non-sequitor, but outside of broad street and market street, riding the t in philly is kinda' hard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i mean referring to places like cambridge/somerville, miami beach, inglewood, brooklyn, las vegas (suburb of paradise, nv), ... as suburbs is stupid because they are among the most urban cities in the country.

in certain cities, annexation is mostly illegal; so, places once part of the city, secede. other cities annex like crazy so that rural farmland areas are now part of inner-city jacksonville. basing definitions on an imaginary arbitrary line is stupid.

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 08-20-2019 at 09:18 AM..

Old 08-20-2019, 08:55 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,723,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
Agree about the pizza. Uniformly weak. Though I'm sure there's a hidden gem here or there.
If anyone can tell me where the hidden gems are, I'd love to hear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Come on is the pizza really that bad???

I agree that there is an overabundance of sh#$%y Greek joints, but there is still some pretty good pizza if you know where to go. I highly doubt anything in Atlanta matches Santarpio's, for instance.
Yes it is.
I don't know the pizza scene in Atlanta, as I haven't been there enough. When I lived in Durham, NC, there was actually a good pizza place run by some guy who moved there from New York. Unfortunately, it didn't open until a few months before we left.

I have not been to Santarpio's, but I'm putting it on our list to go try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
Reginas is quite good

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usa...amp/1662679002

Usually like waypoint or coppa for more gourmet
No it isn't. I do give it to my son, who will eat almost any pizza, even frozen. It's fine for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
I'm sure there's some good pizza out there, somewhere Between travel & work I don't get out like I used to. When I get over to Portland, Maine on business I get spoiled on the choices of excellent pizza offered.
Which places do you like in Portland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
weird that 2 posters said that boston has horrible pizza. its usually critically acclaimed:
https://boston.cbslocal.com/2018/10/...visor-ranking/
My husband and I saw that and wondered who the heck came up with that? They must've been enjoying our new laws re: cannabis sales a bit too much. And it's based on TripAdvisor, whose food ratings I'm not sold on.

Old 08-20-2019, 09:05 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,917,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Wow.

People from Boston are so pretentious. I can't believe you actually think this. I'm going to start a new thread on this sub-forum and write an 11 paragraph rant about this particular interaction.
I think he's being sarcastic; try reverse psychology...

Old 08-20-2019, 09:07 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,723,943 times
Quote:
What's with the big overreaction/offense and then insulting comment to an innocuous comment? I don't know if cambridge/somerville is a "city", "town" or suburb, nor do I care. Where did I imply Cambridge is like King of Prussia? You really think I am concerned about the history of Boston's failure to annex these towns? Please, don't tire yourselves from explaining to out of towners.

To me YOUR post was obtuse:

the t goes to somerville, cambridge, quincy, ... unlike philly whose broad street line/market street line are finite within the city borders for some reason.

I was simply explaining why the broad street line/market street line terminate at the city's boundaries and that there is public transportation beyond into the suburbs.

Philly has the regional trains from center city to the suburbs. But, Philly's restaurant scene is large enough within the city boundaries. No need to go beyond.

But, taking it from a Bostonian point-of-view, I guess that was your attempt at a dig toward Philly mass transit. Should I taken that as an insult? Who knows why it was even brought up?

You are the one to bring Philly into it; not me.

Get over yourselves. I'm done here.
I lived in the Philly suburbs for 15 years, and commuted into CC, as did my husband for years. SEPTA f-ing SUCKS. It is way worse than the MBTA. It is not as easy to get out into the burbs from Philly as it is from Boston. The issue of whether a restaurant is within the city limits is irrelevant. What matters is whether it is easy enough to get to from the suburbs. However, if you live within Philadelphia, it is nice that you have lots of restaurants to choose from. Going to the restaurants from the suburbs is a huge pain in the tuchus. (Although it's easier if you're coming from the NJ burbs, rather than PA.)

I do miss the restaurant scene in Philly, though. I love Tallulah's Garden (and also Table). Love Amada, Zahav, Buddakahn...

Old 08-20-2019, 09:15 AM

663 posts, read 1,864,064 times
To back up the OP - having lived in Atlanta for more than a few years, the ethnic food scene is a lot better in quality, variety and abundance in the following categories: Indian, Authentic Chinese, S.E. Asian, Persian, Mediterranean, Pizza, Authentic Mexican, BBQ, Southern Food.

Also Atlanta suburbs are meant for the masses and actually look nice and are well-manicured. Less of the run-down and or countrified feel of Boston suburbs. The area is less segregated than Boston area as well.

Old 08-20-2019, 09:31 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I'm not sure about hidden gems and I don't know what type of pizza you prefer, but some places that make excellent pies include:
- Picco (South End)
- Galleria Umberto (North End) Sicilian (also try the arancini)
- Pizzeria Regina (original North End location ONLY) best to order your pie stretched and well done, though they might not want to do this at peak times unless they know you (not enough room in oven)
- Brewers Fork (Charlestown)
- Ciao (Everett) Neapolitan style
- Gran Gusto(Cambridge) Neapolitan style
- Area 4 (Cambridge)
- Max & Leos (Netwon Corner)
- Santarpios (East Boston)
- Pinocchios (Harvard Square) Sicilian
- Frank Pepes (Chestnut Hill)
- Bianchis (now Renzos) (Revere Beach)

Would I like to see more good New York style pizza that isn't $20+ designer pizza garbage? Yes! However Boston has its share of good pizza. Enjoy.

Old 08-20-2019, 10:30 AM

3,214 posts, read 2,120,946 times
As someone who travels to Naples quite often I can tell you that every region has something different about their pies. You will never authenticate what you can get there. the Mozzarella is way different, The tomatoes are different, the oil is different, the basil......
That being said. Boston has some great pies. Once you stop seeing life as who has a better better what, than you can enjoy what your region does well.
Santarpio is probably my favorite in it's uniqueness. You can't even find a pie like that in Naples. is it better? why not? Maybe?
as stated above, a lot of those pies mentioned are awesome. I love Gran gusto's. Pinocchio's is always a favorite.

la Befana in Allston is a great take out pizza joint and I crave it sometimes. The Pleasant Cafe in Roslindale has a good thin minimal crust pie that I like. Sometimes I am in the mood for Greek pie.

Old 08-20-2019, 10:58 AM

6,573 posts, read 6,740,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post

Yes it is.
I don't know the pizza scene in Atlanta, as I haven't been there enough. When I lived in Durham, NC, there was actually a good pizza place run by some guy who moved there from New York. Unfortunately, it didn't open until a few months before we left.

I have not been to Santarpio's, but I'm putting it on our list to go try.

No it isn't. I do give it to my son, who will eat almost any pizza, even frozen. It's fine for him.

Which places do you like in Portland?

My husband and I saw that and wondered who the heck came up with that? They must've been enjoying our new laws re: cannabis sales a bit too much. And it's based on TripAdvisor, whose food ratings I'm not sold on.
Lazzari, Otto Pizza & Portland Pie are 3 of the better places. Portland is a cool foodie day trip no matter what you like to eat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston