Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 01:19 PM

3,845 posts, read 7,916,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Certainly for a family of 3+ it's not *poverty* by any means, but it isn't luxury either.

I mean we're not luxurious people. We don't have new cars and don't take luxury yearly vacations (if at all) and are still using Iphone 6's lol!! Just standard people who don't buy into the hype of name brands...oh well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2019, 01:20 PM

3,146 posts, read 2,068,497 times
I mean it all depends what you need in life I guess. Are you okay with a 10 year old toyota or do you need a German brand lux lease? Do you need to vacation 3 times a year? do you dine out a lot?
theres really no secret formula. Your mileage may vary, but I know people on less than that doing better than okay.

I may have misread your family situation. i initially thought you were single. But the top still applies.

edit** ha just saw you're response. yes you won't be in Weston etc.. but you could manage.

Old 11-19-2019, 01:23 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,724,941 times
Well if its a family that's just going to be one of the incomes. Which of course means its more than 5k a month. Big difference.

Still, 5k is not going to be anything like poverty.

Old 11-19-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Well if its a family that's just going to be one of the incomes. Which of course means its more than 5k a month. Big difference.

Still, 5k is not going to be anything like poverty.
We are a family of 3 but we are single income. I have MS and have been unable to hold a full
Time job for quite a while. It’s all in the past anyways we turned it down. Gonna hang tight till June when our lease is up and see where life takes us

Old 11-19-2019, 01:33 PM

23,087 posts, read 18,235,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I thought so too but when I made a post it was pretty much I'd be one check from a shelter if I thought I could live on that in Mass. Pages and pages of that.. So clearly the people are just nasty and bitter about where they live .
You mean this thread (among the several you started over the years)?

//www.city-data.com/forum/massa...-question.html

From what I recall you got plenty of helpful replies, most of which were pretty accurate. The thing about an income like that is while it is sufficient, you can't be picky and choosy.

You seem to be quite bitter yourself about where you currently live, and apparently have a history of poor relocation decisions. It's honestly hard to see you happy anywhere, but at least try not to put down those who have attempted to give you advice even if you don't like what they have to say.

Also as useful a tool as it can be, please tell me you don't base life decisions like that on a City-Data forum...

Last edited by massnative71; 11-19-2019 at 01:43 PM..

Old 11-19-2019, 01:35 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,724,941 times
Quote:
We are a family of 3 but we are single income. I have MS and have been unable to hold a full
Time job for quite a while. It’s all in the past anyways we turned it down. Gonna hang tight till June when our lease is up and see where life takes us

Ah, that's tough. Still, its doable. But past is past.

Old 11-19-2019, 01:39 PM

23,087 posts, read 18,235,422 times
Quote:
it knocked us into a new tax bracket which was 24%, income tax, federal, insurance cost... We did the math a few months back and I'd have to go dig it out but it came out to high $60k's. We looked at rentals and for the price point we thought was reasonable for the income to be iat ($2800 mo) . I made an entire post asking about the income and living in Mass and got pages of hate and laughter saying im an idiot to even consider that low amount of pay in New England and "good luck" and we'd be struggling.. so yah
OK "high 60s" after insurance sounds a little better, but it still sounds like you could maybe use a little help from a tax planner (without knowing the rest of your details).

Old 11-19-2019, 04:11 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,528,916 times
Default Re

Quote:
I thought so too but when I made a post it was pretty much I'd be one check from a shelter if I thought I could live on that in Mass. Pages and pages of that.. So clearly the people are just nasty and bitter about where they live .
So you decided not to move somewhere based on what strangers on a public forum told you?

Old 11-19-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
So you decided not to move somewhere based on what strangers on a public forum told you?
Nope again I stated our decision was not based on the recommendations but other factors.

Old 11-19-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
You mean this thread (among the several you started over the years)?

//www.city-data.com/forum/massa...-question.html

From what I recall you got plenty of helpful replies, most of which were pretty accurate. The thing about an income like that is while it is sufficient, you can't be picky and choosy.

You seem to be quite bitter yourself about where you currently live, and apparently have a history of poor relocation decisions. It's honestly hard to see you happy anywhere, but at least try not to put down those who have attempted to give you advice even if you don't like what they have to say.

Also as useful a tool as it can be, please tell me you don't base life decisions like that on a City-Data forum...
First our first ever relocation after moving out of our parents house occurred when we were 24.. we are nearly 40 now. Yet that relocation from over a decade ago seems to be the only thing I hear about on these forums. We now have a 10 year old and college degrees. At the time we had none of that. That was a life lesson and I doubt anyone on these forums wants the same things now that they did at 17 or 20 or 25.

Secondly our move to Charlotte was a career advancement move. It’s paid off greatly in salary, promotions etc etc. the issue is the rising crime. It was once deemed one of the best places to raise a family. Violent crime rose 99% last year. We’re about to hit the highest murder rate since the early 90’s. Hardly my fault or “poor relocation choices”. It was not like this when we moved here. People who have lived in my neighborhood for 15 years are leaving and talking about how bad it’s got and how good it was. I don’t have a crystal ball on that type of issue.

Lastly for the 3rd time now we did NOT base our decision on people from this board, regardless of what anyone wants to think. We had a lot of issues at play with my husbands current job, his school, my current medical diagnosis etc.. 3/4 of those posts were less helpful and more criticizing of the income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston