Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2019, 07:37 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times

Advertisements

So after the non-binding referendum failed, I have it on good authority that the City will change the name of Dudley Square to Nubian Square anyway.

The black people there seem to think that this will somehow be a bulwark against gentrification. Newsflash: It won't and whoever does live there in the future will have to live in an area with possibly the dumbest and most racially charged name of any square in the nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2019, 08:53 AM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
We have squares named after General Lee, the main drag in Southern Richmond is the Jefferson Davis Highway. So I think they’ll be competition that blasts Nubian Sq out of the water in terms of racial charge ness.

In fact I don’t think it really registers

Old 11-16-2019, 10:05 AM

6,808 posts, read 6,045,258 times
I don’t think the name “Nubian Square” is any more racially charged than (say) Chinatown. I do think “Nubian” is a strange word for folks to latch on to as there isn’t a huge Sudanese population in Boston.

I think maybe “L’Ouverture Square” would’ve made more sense: recognizing Boston’s large Haitian & Caribbean community while also honoring a famous, black revolutionary? Then again, there’s a reason I’m not singularity in charge of renaming neighborhoods, and Nubian Square was vetted and discussed pretty extensively by the community, iirc.

But just like changing Yawkey Way back to Jersey Street, I’m generally all for changing the names of places that honor particularly problematic characters.

Edit: I thought I read somewhere that Thomas Dudley had ties to the slave trade, but I’m having a hard time finding that info on Wiki? Maybe it’s misinformation?

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 11-16-2019 at 10:56 AM..

Old 11-16-2019, 02:13 PM

162 posts, read 102,128 times
It's intended as a nod to honor the old Nubian Notions store that was an institution in Dudley Square for half a century. It was one of the truly iconic stores back in the day along with maybe Central Square Army Navy Surplus in Cambridge, or Truc and the original Oona's in Harvard square.

You could get a dashiki, which were great to wear in the summer heat, and I got their moustache wax and a wide tooth beard comb that I wish I still had. You could run into all kinds of great people there from the arts, theatre, music and community service professions.

You could pick up a used good condition genuine US Navy peacoat at Central Surplus for like $10, then Oona's for the girls to get vampy vintage clothing. Once I bought one of those heavy sheepskin coats from Afghanistan that weighed a ton at Truc I think it was. Then you might head to the Plough and Stars for a pint, see Joan Baez at the Club 47, or Muddy Waters or some of the great jazz players at Paul's Mall/Jazz Workshop on Boylston Street.

Nubian Notions was a big part of all that was happening and one of the great iconic institutions​of the Boston scene loved by all. It would be awesome to see it honored in this way.

Old 11-16-2019, 03:57 PM

^Wow, I had no idea. Thanks for the info!

Old 11-16-2019, 05:08 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,878,990 times
I'm fine with the name change. In one hundred years the Square will change into another name, and continue the march of relevance to a new population.

Old 11-16-2019, 07:47 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,523,721 times
Screw Marty Walsh for fighting Boston's black community to keep them from changing the name of Faneuil Hall.

Old 11-17-2019, 06:42 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,574,786 times
there are probably better names (including dudley):
https://www.universalhub.com/2019/vo...whether-change

Old 11-17-2019, 06:50 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,574,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
I don’t think the name “Nubian Square” is any more racially charged than (say) Chinatown. I do think “Nubian” is a strange word for folks to latch on to as there isn’t a huge Sudanese population in Boston.

I think maybe “L’Ouverture Square” would’ve made more sense: recognizing Boston’s large Haitian & Caribbean community while also honoring a famous, black revolutionary? Then again, there’s a reason I’m not singularity in charge of renaming neighborhoods, and Nubian Square was vetted and discussed pretty extensively by the community, iirc.

But just like changing Yawkey Way back to Jersey Street, I’m generally all for changing the names of places that honor particularly problematic characters.

Edit: I thought I read somewhere that Thomas Dudley had ties to the slave trade, but I’m having a hard time finding that info on Wiki? Maybe it’s misinformation?
big up l’ouverture square (i am haitian). i dont think dudley should be changed. he is the first governor of mass. not sure if he owned slaves but he chose not to prohibit slavery.
the nubians famously had lots of slaves.

faneuil hall should be changed to crispus attucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben young View Post
I'm fine with the name change. In one hundred years the Square will change into another name, and continue the march of relevance to a new population.
but shouldnt the first governor in the u.s.a. be preserved for all posterity.

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 11-17-2019 at 06:58 AM..

Old 11-17-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
but shouldnt the first governor in the u.s.a. be preserved for all posterity.
Endecott and Winthrop preceded Dudley, I think? (Based on a quick wiki search, so take it with a grain of salt).

We’re any of those “governors” elected by the people or were they appointed by Britain back then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
the nubians famously had lots of slaves.
Was definitely my original issue with the name, but hearing about Nubian Notions (if that’s truly where the name comes from) has kind of changed my mind. Doesn’t help that the store closed a long time ago.

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 11-17-2019 at 08:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston