Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2020, 01:55 PM

17,668 posts, read 9,148,339 times

Advertisements

"Health officials said the virus has been confirmed for a Boston man in his 20s who was returning from Wuhan, China.

According to the Department of Health spokeswoman Ann Scales, the man sought medical care as soon as he returned home to Massachusetts.

He has been in isolation since his return and will continue to be isolated until he is cleared by public health officials.

Anyone who has come in contact with him has been identified and is being monitored for any symptoms."

Source: Department of Health confirms first Massachusetts case of Coronavirus

I don't know how they can possibly identify everyone that came in contact with him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2020, 02:23 PM

10,006 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
He is a UMass Boston student. Aren't those largely commuter students (thankfully)? If so, and if he hadn't yet gone to class, he might not have spread it. Spring semester classes began Jan 27th, so maybe he hadn't gone to class yet.
I think most of them commute, but I know there is at least one dorm there that was built a couple of years ago.

Old 02-01-2020, 02:27 PM

7,234 posts, read 4,541,552 times
Actually guys, what is the chances this virus has been here for a while.

I never get sick. My last head cold was in 2014. But this xmas I got sick with a weird group of symptoms.

- fever
- cough only -- no sore throat or nose issues
- chest congestion so bad my doctor did a chest x-ray (which is unusual for me)
- it lasted longer than normal.. a week.

I recovered but just about everyone at work had similar symptoms and we all take public transportation which is on an airport line.

Old 02-01-2020, 02:34 PM

17,668 posts, read 9,148,339 times
^ the flu?

Old 02-01-2020, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
^ the flu?
Possible but these are the exact symptoms of the coronavirus at about the same time.

Old 02-01-2020, 03:36 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times
Nope. You didn't have it.

Old 02-01-2020, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Nope. You didn't have it.
How are you sure?

Old 02-01-2020, 03:59 PM

12,154 posts, read 7,975,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Too late, as has been most of the response to this. Harvard sent out a long message to students, faculty and staff instructing them to report any sickness. I am sure they have many students from the Wuhan area who have returned to the US and campus in the past few weeks.
Wont make a difference, people will still connect through different cities and places.. ie, Wuhan - Beijing - LA - Boston or Wuhan - Tokyo - Boston.

Old 02-01-2020, 04:28 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,748,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Wont make a difference, people will still connect through different cities and places.. ie, Wuhan - Beijing - LA - Boston or Wuhan - Tokyo - Boston.
Transportation from Wuhan to other Chinese cities was shut down on 01/23. All highways are closed too.
People are not allowed to leave.

Old 02-01-2020, 05:10 PM

298 posts, read 341,161 times
Default Coronavirus

Did you honestly expect The Trump administration, which is INEPT and INCOMPETENT, does not understand or support SCIENCE, has hollowed out major federal agencies to deal with any real crisis?

I have 4 words for you: LOOK AT PUERTO RICO

Billions of dollars (not appropriated) for a border wall to stop the "invasion" .....but let's see how the crippled CDC and scant leadership in an administration that has few confirmed leaders but "ACTING" heads of everything can manage a crisis.

Here is what you can be sure of... if they screw it up Trump will blame someone else. If they are successful he will take credit for it.

Quote:
Perhaps? PERHAPS???? We should have denied entry from China about a week ago, except for US citizens being brought back under controlled circumstances with a 14 day individual quarantine, and viral nasopharyngeal swab testing for those people, too. A half-hearted policy is being implemented tomorrow night, but it's already too late.

Think of all the Chinese students who have come back to US campuses, some of whom are surely infected, and contagious, before they develop symptoms. Think of what is going to happen when it gets out that there is coronavirus on US campuses - it's already happening at ASU. Students are going to flee home to their parents' homes, and some of them will already be infected, and spread it there. That will be unstoppable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston