Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2020, 01:55 PM

139 posts, read 67,286 times

Advertisements

Actually, some of the low income repeat offenders may be living in their cars!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2020, 07:19 AM

16,979 posts, read 21,650,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
What? Parking tickets are tied to vehicles, not to licenses. Why would this affect a license?!?!?
Car is parked illegally
Don't know who was driving it!

Old 03-01-2020, 07:22 AM

16,979 posts, read 21,650,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Just get a low income and or retired person to do the driving in their car and park anywhere you want. Afterward, pay this person's fine for them. It will likely end up being the cheapest option for good parking spots in Boston with it much less than most garages.
Or just uber and never worry about parking.....

Old people don't like breaking the rules, they would be worried about the tickets, most wouldn't do it nevermind the inconvenience of actually driving somewhere (remember they are retired, a trip to the grocery store is a big deal)

Old 03-01-2020, 04:15 PM

559 posts, read 745,844 times
This concept is insane. the ticket is a penalty for violating a rule. its a standard penalty. If its a $50 ticket and it doesn't phase me at all, well congrats to me for being so well off.

At the same time, if i am broke and the $50 crushes me... well i should have followed the rules. i bet i will be more careful next time. I could buy a financial hardship exemption (with a limit, cant keep getting tickets in perpetuity).

this move to create different rules based upon economic status is how we ended up with Trump in the 1st place. lets stop pandering to the "victims of wealth inequity" and alienating those who have financial comfort (be it earned, gifted or inherited [don't get me started on the double taxation inheritance tax policy].

Old 03-01-2020, 07:06 PM

7,912 posts, read 7,740,728 times
In some cases fines aren't regulations but the law. The fine for fire lanes I think is $15 but usually repeat offenders can get towed.

So should tow rates be tied to income? How about booting?

Look I've had parking tickets and violations. I've never had a speeding ticket in my life. But I know when I had tickets I owe up and pay it.

Think about the increase in violations in areas of poverty. This can easily lower the quality of life across the state.

If you want to lower crime you take control of parking (off street parking, more sidewalks, more public lighting) and cash (eliminate as many direct cash transactions as possible) . Letting it run wild isn't a good idea.

Old 03-01-2020, 09:12 PM

2,499 posts, read 4,398,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizim View Post
This concept is insane. the ticket is a penalty for violating a rule. its a standard penalty. If its a $50 ticket and it doesn't phase me at all, well congrats to me for being so well off.

At the same time, if i am broke and the $50 crushes me... well i should have followed the rules. i bet i will be more careful next time. I could buy a financial hardship exemption (with a limit, cant keep getting tickets in perpetuity).

this move to create different rules based upon economic status is how we ended up with Trump in the 1st place. lets stop pandering to the "victims of wealth inequity" and alienating those who have financial comfort (be it earned, gifted or inherited [don't get me started on the double taxation inheritance tax policy].
So you would have no problem raising the ticket fee to $50,000? After all, you always follow the rules...

Old 03-02-2020, 08:21 AM

7,912 posts, read 7,740,728 times
Such a policy would be against the full faith and credit and equal protection clause of the constitution. Consider the following loopholes within it.
1) People with a lack of income but are wealthy are exempt as this is on income, not wealth
2) What exactly are the administrative costs of this? What departments are going to be willing to bend over backwards for the City of Boston without any compensation? Other states? Other countries etc.
3) What about tourists and students? What wealthy student from abrod is going to go to Boston and let some minor traffic issue escalate?
NYC already has issues with the UN not paying about 16 million
https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...arking-tickets

The actual proposal is for residents. So if that’s all it’s for that means everyone else in Boston is exempt. So that by itself is a violation. You can’t have a policy be only for residence if the parking itself is public. Then that becomes separate but equal by its very core.

Old 03-04-2020, 10:15 AM

559 posts, read 745,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
So you would have no problem raising the ticket fee to $50,000? After all, you always follow the rules...
Nice Fallacy. lets shoot people too for jaywalking. extreme example to try and prove a point.

I didnt say i always followed the rules Mr Snarky.... but i don't cry poor mouth when I violate them.

the overall attempt to control everything for income is over the top. thats my point. sometimes a $50 fine is a $50 fine. and thats it.

Old 03-04-2020, 11:09 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,542,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Writing tickets for stuff that is 100% obvious is, in my opinion, more about revenue generation than any sort of traffic enforcement. I think it's reasonable to tie revenue generation to income, I just think it's unreasonable to make parking (and especially traffic) enforcement a method of revenue generation.
Traffic tickets are all about revenue generation. That is why the 55mph speed limit lasted for 20 years instead of just 1 as originally proposed.

Old 03-04-2020, 01:59 PM

2,499 posts, read 4,398,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizim View Post
Nice Fallacy. lets shoot people too for jaywalking. extreme example to try and prove a point.

I didnt say i always followed the rules Mr Snarky.... but i don't cry poor mouth when I violate them.

the overall attempt to control everything for income is over the top. thats my point. sometimes a $50 fine is a $50 fine. and thats it.
Why is it a fallacy? You don't care about current fees because you know they won't materially impact your life. I suggested a fee that would impact your life, to see if you still feel the same way. But you're so self centered that you can't imagine anything except your own lifestyle. No empathy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston