Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2020, 04:34 PM

3,207 posts, read 2,114,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
A small venue folks went to 25 years ago to catch a couple bands? And the emotions come out..
A little crass if you ask me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2020, 07:25 PM

21,626 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
A little crass if you ask me
Jeez. I’m contrasting This with the distortion of thousands is actual families and people. Can you not see how in the grand scheme this is insignificant? And it’s ironic that it’s moments like this that society wants to or is able to take stock of whats really lost and disrupted in the gentrification process.

Old 05-07-2020, 09:00 AM

604 posts, read 560,920 times
Are we really talking about gentrification here? Allston isn't really coming out of poverty, it's just been a college student ghetto for a long time.

Old 05-07-2020, 12:20 PM

17,664 posts, read 9,155,986 times
^ Correct. No gentrification. Nobody is getting pushed out of Allston.

Old 05-07-2020, 07:44 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Allston was as gross in 2012 when I moved to Boston as it was in 2019 when I left.

But I still have a soft spot in my heart for the place.

Old 05-08-2020, 04:57 AM

20,097 posts, read 8,998,912 times
nothing lasts forever, this had nothing to do with coronavirus.

Old 05-08-2020, 07:26 AM

12,817 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Jeez. I’m contrasting This with the distortion of thousands is actual families and people. Can you not see how in the grand scheme this is insignificant? And it’s ironic that it’s moments like this that society wants to or is able to take stock of whats really lost and disrupted in the gentrification process.
I get your point, and you're not wrong. But there's there's also nothing wrong with people mourning the loss of a venue if it holds nostalgic value to them. It seems unnecessary to rip people for being upset about the closure of Great Scott. Just because they feel that way about a venue, it doesn't mean they've lost track of the big picture. I was annoyed my breakfast curbside pickup order was 1/2 hour late this morning. I'm fully aware that tens of thousands of Americans have died from COVID-19, and that millions more are out of work. I have perspective and I realize my experience this AM was insignificant in the grand scheme of things. But it's still OK to feel other feelings - no need to crap on anyone for that.

Old 05-08-2020, 12:04 PM

21,626 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I get your point, and you're not wrong. But there's there's also nothing wrong with people mourning the loss of a venue if it holds nostalgic value to them. It seems unnecessary to rip people for being upset about the closure of Great Scott. Just because they feel that way about a venue, it doesn't mean they've lost track of the big picture. I was annoyed my breakfast curbside pickup order was 1/2 hour late this morning. I'm fully aware that tens of thousands of Americans have died from COVID-19, and that millions more are out of work. I have perspective and I realize my experience this AM was insignificant in the grand scheme of things. But it's still OK to feel other feelings - no need to crap on anyone for that.
I'm not really ripping anyone. No one is a bad guy for not wanting to see the place close. I see how it cam e of fliek that. But I said sometimes i like for these things to happen (broadly) because they force us to pause for a second and collectively reflect on gentrification because this affects a wider swath of people (in a minimal way) than one family being evicted. Or really, we need to reflect on the culture of thecity in general and where thats going.

Id call this gentrification as were literally conceding to the will of the gentry. They don't want to hear loud music for the people...they want that element of the neighborhood removed. And it has been

Old 05-08-2020, 03:37 PM

3,207 posts, read 2,114,518 times
In a new twist of events. It seems Great Scott was paying a month to month lease for 20 years, and just didn't wan't to commit to a long term lease. That changes the sentiment I guess. But it still burns. Looks like this may just be a landlord looking after their assets.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/05/...nJEqLSAjMHM5Bg

Old 05-10-2020, 09:27 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,020,075 times
Bummer.

But looking forward to another mega-chain generic biz taking over the space. /s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston