Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2020, 07:59 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,503,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
What’s important to remember is that Dominican and Puerto Rican are to Boston as Mexican is to Chicago and Houston. I don’t have data to back it, but I’d imagine that most Mexican restaurants in the area (even the good ones) don’t have Mexican owners or head chefs. There are some great Caribbean restaurants, but many are located in rougher neighborhoods. 100% Delicias Express in JP is a good Dominican restaurant that’s also in a nice neighborhood.

You mentioned Southern Kin, have you also tried Sweet Cheeks or Buttermilk and Bourbon? They’re both upscale (southern-style food isn’t super common here), but I do like both. For Asian food, Allston has a few good Korean restaurants. Porter Square in Cambridge also has some good Asian restaurants (I go for the ramen). Fields Corner in Dorchester has some great Vietnamese; I stop by Ba Le for some bahn mi whenever I get the chance. Chinatown Cafe on Harrison is great.

Hm, good to know. I do definitely see that there are quite a few Caribbean options when I check out Yelp occasionally. I have actually heard of Buttermilk and Bourbon more recently and it's on my list to try (just haven't been around Back Bay in a bit) so I'll definitely check that out. I looked up the rest of the recommendations, I've added them all to my list. I love Bahn Mis!

One of my favorite Asian fusion places in the city is amazing -- Shojo near Chinatown. Definitely recommended, their chicken waffles are awesome. Loved their Ribs as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2020, 08:11 PM

6,804 posts, read 6,027,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawfiqmp View Post
One of my favorite Asian fusion places in the city is amazing -- Shojo near Chinatown. Definitely recommended, their chicken waffles are awesome. Loved their Ribs as well.
I love Shojo! The space is too small for the demand, though. I’ve been unable to reserve a table a few times in the past. Santouka Ramen in Harvard Square is great if you like ramen. They have a location in the Back Bay, too, but I haven’t been.

While I’m throwing names out: if you like breakfast food, McKenna’s in Savin Hill and Pour House in the Back Bay have some great stuff. City Feed and Supply on Centre in JP has great breakfast sandwiches.

Man, I miss eating out..

Old 05-09-2020, 08:23 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,719,577 times
I've long pondered this question. I've had some good meals, even some very good meals here, but I just haven't found the earth shattering, lip-smacking, orgasmically good restaurants here that we used to go to in Chicago, Philadelphia, and NYC. I don't really understand why.

One thing I disagree with OP on, though -- the pizza here sucks. Haven't found any that I love. A few that are decent, but nothing great, and I don't know why that is.

Old 05-09-2020, 08:44 PM

176 posts, read 250,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tawfiqmp View Post
I'll definitely have to check out Olnea, it looks great! Thanks! Yeah I think I feel similarly about Chicago. You have an abundance of options of just so many different types of food, it actually shocked me when I moved there. I think it's only gotten better since I moved away (post 2013).

I have heard the supplier explanation from one person here so that's definitely interesting to hear it again. I brought up some raw Beef Fajitas from my last trip to Texas and cooked it for a few people up here. They swore it was some of the best beef they've ever had.

I think I definitely agree with you on the Seafood being THE food. I'd had always hurt about the oysters from this region, of course a Maine Lobster, and other things like clams being better from colder parts but I didn't realize how big the scene was until I moved here. It's grown on me a lot, I went from someone who barely ate any to incorporating it weekly in one way or another.

That is a good point about Michelin stars -- I guess I just forgot that it goes from city to city as an index. I have definitely realized that as well about Boston that Cambridge and Somerville have some great eats. Alden and Harlow in Harvard Square is one of my favs as well as Southern Kin Cookhouse at Assembly Square. It's interesting because food in general is just more expensive up here too comparatively to places like Chicago and Houston. Just as an example one of my go to's in River North in Chicago was Portillos which is always packed but it doesn't really break your wallet to get a burger and/or an Italian beef sandwich. I feel like there's lesser of those types of options in the city here.

Well I reside in South Shore so I'm not in the city. But I usually tend to go out to eat once a week on the weekends and definitely on special occasions or if I'm just in the city for another reason. I have noticed too that the best spots tend to be on the other side of the river, and I definitely think there are some great places to eat. I think what I'm trying to get at though is that I feel like the amount of quality places feels less than some of the counterpart metro's (some are obviously a lot larger and have more people so it's understandable that they'd have more options).

I'll be honest that some of the best Asian food (Thai, Chinese, Vietnamese) I've had in my life thus far I've found to be in Quincy and the surrounding cities like Braintree. There are some real hidden gems. I'll also say that my standards for Asian food isn't super high given that Houston and Chicago were hit or miss with it. I've had some great Asian food in Koreatown in LA and of course NYC (I prefer the Chinatown in Queens) though.

Ha, funny you mention that, I had a similar experience in Hingham (at a place I can't even recall the name of). The best thing about that place were their Margaritas. I also felt sick after eating and after paying our $70 tab.

I haven't really had a chance to really try the food scene that far up north outside going more to the coastal side. I'll definitely have to head up to places like Andover and Lowell to try some food there. One of my favorite Seafood spots in this metro is in Salem that I've been to now 3 times. Turner's in Downtown Salem. It's been really consistent and I'm happy to pay for that consistency.
LOL I was just thinking about Portillos the other day. I ordered a french dip from a local restaurant and it wasn't in the same universe as their beef sandwiches.

The other street food I really miss from Chicago (and it's been a while so these may not even still be there) is the fruit served from carts with chili and sea salt in Pilsen, and the pork chop sandwiches from Maxwell Street.

Chicago might be the best food city in the US.

Old 05-10-2020, 08:38 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BosYuppie View Post
Two words: Roast Beef
100%. I've not found similar quality or quantity of roast beef anywhere else in the country. It's something I miss for sure. I don't quite understand why not everyone makes roast beef like they do in Mass.

Old 05-10-2020, 09:41 AM

5,948 posts, read 2,870,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
100%. I've not found similar quality or quantity of roast beef anywhere else in the country. It's something I miss for sure. I don't quite understand why not everyone makes roast beef like they do in Mass.

Old 05-10-2020, 10:31 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Roast Beef and Bar Food.... spas too.

Greater Boston has some of the best food in the country, you have to go local. You cant do hat you do in Texas when your in New England. New England is developed completely different. You want amazing food? You go to local places/hole in walls/pubs/spas.

Best pizza I ever had was a local place in Randolph MA.

Old 05-10-2020, 10:48 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,020,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Roast Beef and Bar Food.... spas too.

Greater Boston has some of the best food in the country, you have to go local. You cant do hat you do in Texas when your in New England. New England is developed completely different. You want amazing food? You go to local places/hole in walls/pubs/spas.

Best pizza I ever had was a local place in Randolph MA.
Yup, 100%.

I know this is a fanciful comparison, but I'd bet FOR ME I could find many more restaurant winners in a handful of smaller cities/towns near Boston with a collective pop of around 500K than I could within the city limits of roughly the same size.

Old 05-10-2020, 11:17 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post

One thing I disagree with OP on, though -- the pizza here sucks. Haven't found any that I love. A few that are decent, but nothing great, and I don't know why it is.
Have you tried Area 4 or Coppa?

Old 05-10-2020, 07:17 PM

21,626 posts, read 12,718,846 times
I’m surprised by the wide variety of answers.. it’s not a mystery as too why.

Simple explanation but multi fold

1. For a long time Boston wa scattering to the pallets of college students, working class people and stuffy traditionalists. Not exactly a population group that inspires or gets treated to the latest culinary trends

2. Cap on liquor license imposed by the state makes it really hard for a new restaurant to open and thrive. For left about mom and pops the licenses are $400k, Cambridge does not have this cap.

3. A lot of Bostonians don’t have any disposable income that’s why the beat foood and amenities is general are in the other side of the Charles where folks have a bit more money.

4. Lack of outdoor seating, lack of late. Night hours, and happy hours kills the synergistic vibe you find in most other top rate cities. This also makes it harder for upstarts chef sand restauranteurs to turn a profit and offset the NYC level rents. This is the Puritan thing

5. Typical Boston in that’s the more diverse cuisines are regulated to the areas south of Mass Ave. Tasty Dominican Haitian Jamaican Ethiopian Nigerian Soul Fold and Vietnamese is 1000% regulated away from central areas. Savvor, Daryls and Teranga are gonna be you’re only notable ethnic non white or Asian cuisine downtown for the most part. In Roxbury Dorchester Mattapan JP Roslindale those types of spots predominate but often don’t have dine-in seating
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston