Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2020, 11:32 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times

Advertisements

Boston is the only city I say, "I escaped from." I saw bad things on the streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2020, 12:07 PM

21,631 posts, read 12,773,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Boston is the only city I say, "I escaped from." I saw bad things on the streets.
I’ve seen bad things in the street in Boston. But have in every city I’ve lived in. Boston is pretty safe overall but it does have real problems with crime and it could be a lot better really.

Old 05-21-2020, 02:11 PM

23,565 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Moynihan Park? I used to ball there (~2002-2010)sometimes and had Little League there, I was young so maybe I didn’t know. But what problems? I know way you the hill in those Garfield project has Caine crime very rarely.. but in HP the only real problem areas are River Street near the Mattapan border and Georgetowne Homes on occasion. But I’m curious, what goes on there besides drag racing I guess.

I definitely wouldn’t call Hyde park a crap hole. It’s just meh maybe. Randolph north.
I'm talking more the 90s, and maybe a few years past that. Before they built the new Stop and Shop, that area was quite neglected. Lots of trash, carriages floating around...that's kind of breeding ground. Don't know if it was more that environment or the projects up the hill, but there was dealing going on to people getting jumped, etc. Vagrant type people around...not pretty. The other end of River St., that's it's own deal and kind of see it as nothing more than an extension of Mattapan. Georgetown, I never really had a problem with (even back then when the city was overall much rougher).

Old 05-21-2020, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
I don't know buddy. But if you want to Pm me I can run through a whole list of dsm diagnosis that may fit my description of whats wrong with me. I, of course cannot speak for my seemingly lovely neighbors who may also be hiding something "wrong"
Don't you live in Rozzie?

Old 05-22-2020, 04:34 AM

3,219 posts, read 2,121,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Don't you live in Rozzie?
Indeed. 3 houses from me is Hyde Park.

Old 05-22-2020, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I'm talking more the 90s, and maybe a few years past that. Before they built the new Stop and Shop, that area was quite neglected. Lots of trash, carriages floating around...that's kind of breeding ground. Don't know if it was more that environment or the projects up the hill, but there was dealing going on to people getting jumped, etc. Vagrant type people around...not pretty. The other end of River St., that's it's own deal and kind of see it as nothing more than an extension of Mattapan. Georgetown, I never really had a problem with (even back then when the city was overall much rougher).
You’re talking about the old stop and shop/Walgreens? That was Still there in 2010. Or was there something there before it was ever a stop and shop?

2002-2010 I remember it did look somewhat neglected, I don’t remember any vagrant type people. What would they be there doing, there not much traffic, no retail, nothing to be vagrant around really. Not doubting you just asking

Old 05-22-2020, 06:01 AM

Double shooting and homicide at Mildred Hailey apartment in JP last night

https://www.universalhub.com/crime/2...jackson-square

Old 05-22-2020, 06:04 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times
Quote:
That woman was form Dorchester as was the man killed yesterday. I don’t think Hyde Park is really any worse than 10/15 years ago. It’s not a gang area aside from 1, maybe 2.

I’m pretty resigned to the fact that-epsecially nowadays Hyde Park can t really gentrify. For many reasons

1. It’s too far and disconnected from the Kendall Square and Sealort areas

2. It’s too suburban to attract millennial type urban dwellers

3. The neighborhood is ultra stable. High homeownership from people who bought when housing was much cheaper. Middle and lower middle class folks who aren’t as easily displaceable as populations in Roxbury or Chelsea

4. Staunchly anti development

5. ‘Cheap’ but not nearly cheap enough to be a bargain or make it available to flipping and wholesale redevelopment.

6. Most people will just say why live in Hyde Park when you could live in Milton or Dedham for comparable prices, much better schools, equal proximity to downtown, and better safety?

7. There’s currently 1 restaurant with a liquor license (Antonio Bacarros) and one new small taco bar in a dilapidated building- it’s on HO Ave but I’m blanking in the name. In other words not much trendy stuff.
The one thing that I dislike the most about HP is that the housing is unattractive. I live in Dorchester and with the exception of a few neighborhoods, it has a much more attractive housing stock. It's difficult to get in and out of and it is also so far from anything.

Old 05-22-2020, 06:21 AM

Quote:
You’re talking about the old stop and shop/Walgreens? That was Still there in 2010. Or was there something there before it was ever a stop and shop?

2002-2010 I remember it did look somewhat neglected, I don’t remember any vagrant type people. What would they be there doing, there not much traffic, no retail, nothing to be vagrant around really. Not doubting you just asking
No I meant the old Stop and Shop/Walgreens plaza before it was all cleaned up and done over. Didn't realize it was that recent, but I wasn't in the area that much during those particular years in between so...

Not sure what brought them there. Maybe they were doing stuff back in the woods behind the store and the park? All the abandoned carts and other junk might suggest so. Stop and Shop didn't care, the police didn't seem to care despite neighbor complaints. Due to being under the radar I can imagine it being a convenient drop off spot for people driving over from Dedham/Milton/Canton, put that together with the projects nearby...IDK. Some of that stuff seems cleaned up, chances are this latest incident is totally random but who knows. Like I said, Cleary Sq. is a lot more ghetto now than it used to be.

Old 05-22-2020, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
The one thing that I dislike the most about HP is that the housing is unattractive. I live in Dorchester and with the exception of a few neighborhoods, it has a much more attractive housing stock. It's difficult to get in and out of and it is also so far from anything.
It's an easy drive to surrounding towns, just not downtown Boston. Fairmount Hill has beautiful homes. A lot of green space all around (Stony Brook, George Wright, Neponset Valley, Blue Hills close by, etc.) which is appealing. But yeah, Cleary Sq. and the main arteries are kind of dumpy. I'm not sure much of Dorchester is any nicer imo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston