Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 12:51 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,043,031 times

Advertisements

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston...athon-canceled

First time in history?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2020, 02:33 PM

5,956 posts, read 2,877,447 times
Folks in Nursing homes are passing at an average age of 82 [state records ] perhaps they shouldn't be running in the Marathon.

Old 05-28-2020, 03:22 PM

7,240 posts, read 4,548,286 times
Anyone secretly happy about this? I guess it brings a lot of money in but it is a disruption and a terrorist target (that simply cannot be protected).

It has grown too big and too out of control. I think it should be cancelled forever. Or at the very least, not be run on the same date every year and not on roads that everyone travels on.

Old 05-28-2020, 04:57 PM

12,163 posts, read 8,010,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Anyone secretly happy about this? I guess it brings a lot of money in but it is a disruption and a terrorist target (that simply cannot be protected).

It has grown too big and too out of control. I think it should be cancelled forever. Or at the very least, not be run on the same date every year and not on roads that everyone travels on.
Huh? Move out?

Old 05-28-2020, 05:00 PM

6,808 posts, read 6,043,031 times
Quote:

No

Old 05-28-2020, 07:12 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,190,341 times
Quote:

Well, Howie Carr on WRKO and a Herald columnist has complained about it forever, suggesting to move it to the middle of the state.

Old 05-29-2020, 06:59 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,441 times
Quote:

Nope.

Old 05-29-2020, 07:11 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,769,635 times
Quote:

Out of control? When was the Marathon ever "out of control"? The race itself is heavily protected. If ever anyone or anything may be out of control, it would perhaps be throngs of patrons getting drunk at the local pubs and starting fights but even that would be a stretch of imagination. If you're going to cancel the Marathon forever, you might as well cancel the 4th of July Esplanade celebration, First Night, and heck even St. Patrick's Day Parade and ever other festival or celebration that draws crowds to Boston. What kind of colorful and flavorful city will we have then? I get it that 9/11 and the Marathon Bombings might have scared you but you're capitulating to terrorism if you think you can cancel, run and hide from things because that's exactly what terrorists want you to do. Boston can and will stand stronger.

Old 05-29-2020, 07:53 AM

875 posts, read 663,831 times
Quote:

No, probably one of my favorite days of the year in Boston.

Old 05-29-2020, 10:03 AM

7,240 posts, read 4,548,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
you might as well cancel the 4th of July Esplanade celebration, First Night, and heck even St. Patrick's Day Parade and ever other festival or celebration that draws crowds to Boston.
Well while we are at it.. I think we should review those as well. Actually isn't the Esplanade cancelled this year as well?

We get into habits and just do things because... this should be an opportunity to consider if these things should still be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston