Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 05:04 PM

399 posts, read 270,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
If what aren’t being held? Lectures or lab sections?

I have a friend who TAs orgo lab at UNC. For the final organic chemistry labs of the semester the school basically recorded one of the faculty performing a lab operation and had the students watch remotely. However, that’s a terrible way to teach lab skills and should be avoided if possible, imo.
there are ways to do labs virtually online

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIH-BfZY1eo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuk1uBCUUtU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2020, 09:54 AM

399 posts, read 270,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Boston is often compared to SF and now rents there are down significantly.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/01/san-...ne-zumper.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrhYEJgl3dY

Old 07-17-2020, 09:24 AM

349 posts, read 320,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
The thing is this on top of covid doesn't help. If you are operating at just 40% capacity of your own students why would you let others in just because they wanted to go only online. Then to figure what institutions would take that credit which doesn't always happen. MIT is only taking back seniors which I think makes sense but obviously if you aren't a senior you can't go to MIT with all of this.

At first I thought there's no way they could deport that number, it's about a million. The last president deported 2.5 million in a eight year span so I would argue it is possible.
The administration never actually had a plan for this and it shows by how quickly they surrendered on the issue. The message is loud and clear that they are catering to the nativist base that would prefer decisions based on where you are born rather than by merit.

Old 07-17-2020, 12:56 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times
191 2BRs for $1900 or less in Boston according to Trulia.

Seeing many listings not make mention of credit checks anymore, some are doing just 2 months rent to move in. No Security Deposit.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
Just an update.

If one combined Malden, Cambridge, Lynn, Boston, Quincy, Everet,t Dedham, Brookline, Chelsea, and Revere you'd find 2240 available 2 bedroom apartments for under $1900, seems slightly cheaper than normal.

Last edited by Yac; 10-21-2020 at 12:28 AM..

Old 07-17-2020, 01:05 PM

seeing 1 BRs for 1600 in decent neighborhoods like Westie, Hyde Park, Charlestown and Roslindale.

Old 07-21-2020, 08:06 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,317,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
191 2BRs for $1900 or less in Boston according to Trulia.

Seeing many listings not make mention of credit checks anymore, some are doing just 2 months rent to move in. No Security Deposit.

Just an update.

If one combined Malden, Cambridge, Lynn, Boston, Quincy, Everet,t Dedham, Brookline, Chelsea, and Revere you'd find 2240 available 2 bedroom apartments for under $1900, seems slightly cheaper than normal.
I always thought the deposit and such were history/credit-based? The last time I rented the management company waived their fee and the deposit was halved after running credit and verifying employment and finances. Still paid first and last but you're going to pay those anyway so why not up-front? Not like you're going to earn much interest on keeping the last month in savings (unless you stay in the same place a loooong time).

Old 07-21-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
I always thought the deposit and such were history/credit-based? The last time I rented the management company waived their fee and the deposit was halved after running credit and verifying employment and finances. Still paid first and last but you're going to pay those anyway so why not up-front? Not like you're going to earn much interest on keeping the last month in savings (unless you stay in the same place a loooong time).
They often are, but not in softer markets than Boston. Renting was entirely different here in Bmore when they just want units occupied.

Renting from an individual owner/landlord is also far different than from a management company

Also, I think the legality of credit checks is blurry in general...But it’s permitted.

Old 07-21-2020, 10:07 AM

604 posts, read 560,920 times
Quote:
It's all BS tied to the "good tenant meter" rating in the head of the realtor and the landlord

We had a realtor ask us for first, last and deposit, out of the blue, when we went to sign for an apartment one time. We'd already talked the rent down a couple hundred dollars, but we didn't have the capital to tie up in all those deposits. So we said we'd walk unless we could skip one of these three. The place had been sitting for a while and the landlord was taking a bath, so he let us skip the last month i think.

Granted, this was maybe 10 years ago.

Old 07-21-2020, 12:06 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,317,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BosYuppie View Post
It's all BS tied to the "good tenant meter" rating in the head of the realtor and the landlord

We had a realtor ask us for first, last and deposit, out of the blue, when we went to sign for an apartment one time. We'd already talked the rent down a couple hundred dollars, but we didn't have the capital to tie up in all those deposits. So we said we'd walk unless we could skip one of these three. The place had been sitting for a while and the landlord was taking a bath, so he let us skip the last month i think.

Granted, this was maybe 10 years ago.
My case was in 2014 in Brighton and it was for a unit that was on the market less than 1 day before I claimed it. I had always just figured they were more interested in landing a single professional tenant with good credit and cash reserves over another BU/BC student who needed a co-signer and/or was looking for a party pad so they sweetened the pot to reel me in.

Hearing that places were foregoing all of that background qualification surprised me a bit, though maybe with student rentals way down there's fewer of that type of tenant they have to worry about now?

Old 07-21-2020, 03:00 PM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
My rental which I'm in until we move into our new condo late next month is on the market for 5% higher than we were paying (we had small increases annually).

Quote:
My case was in 2014 in Brighton and it was for a unit that was on the market less than 1 day before I claimed it. I had always just figured they were more interested in landing a single professional tenant with good credit and cash reserves over another BU/BC student who needed a co-signer and/or was looking for a party pad so they sweetened the pot to reel me in.

Hearing that places were foregoing all of that background qualification surprised me a bit, though maybe with student rentals way down there's fewer of that type of tenant they have to worry about now?
I've had it go both ways. I've had some that were rigid on price and fees, and I had a few offer to drop the security deposit, pay half (or all) of the broker fee, etc. I've also completed paperwork, submitted the first/last/broker/security and been approved only to have it pulled because someone else came in offering $100 more per month (that was 2 years ago). I think it just comes down to Boston being a high demand market so landlords and realtors have the ability to be selective and make concessions for the right tenants. The market is likely a little softer this summer/fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston